PDA

View Full Version : Repair lawn damaged by pro strength Round Up

bfel
06-29-2011, 03:07 PM
A new guy saturated a couple of areas with I believe full concentrated strength Professional grade Round Up. He says he followed instructions but it's very obvious he didn't. You can even see patches of what i believe are his foot steps going from the area to the driveway. The end result is the grass is dying and since the area has a bit of a slope it appears to be spreading downward to the adjacent lot. We had some heavy rain a few days after application, not sure if that contributed to the spread down slope. There was another area with new plantings, looks like one of the bushes is half dead, i'm guessing the other half will follow. We're obviously going to need to fix this, i'm just wondering how long I should wait to make sure the killer is gone and can i get away with seed at this time of year in SE Wisconsin or do we go with sod? It's been just about a week and a half since the application...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

vencops
06-29-2011, 03:24 PM
What in the world was his intention?

bfel
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
He was supposed to spot spray the weeds in the bed around the ornimental plantings...based on what is occurring he did much more than spot spray. I'm actually very confused (and relieved) that the plantings in the bed are not dying. I wonder to myselfe, "was the sprayer pointed in the wrong direction??"

vencops
06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm wondering how hard the wind was blowing. I know which direction it was blowing.

bfel
06-29-2011, 04:07 PM
good call vencops...no doubt on the wind direction.

Patriot Services
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
And people wonder why we have a class that focuses on applying round up and other caution label products correctly. Part of the class actually covers how to read a product label and mix mathematics. It goes inert very quickly especially after the bond with soil is broken. Sod will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

FL-lawnjockey
06-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Was this your employee? Is he still employed? I mean mistakes happen but like the saying goes, you can't fix stupid & you can't teach common sense. Keep him away from the lawn juice from now on.
If he were my employee (first off he'd never be spraying without a license on my crew) he'd get busted back down to string trimming/blowing....indefinitely.

Patriot Services nailed it. This is why we have classes.

fl-landscapes
06-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I think the poster who mentioned wind is most likely correct on what MAY have happened. Glyphosate binds to soils and is very imobile so I dont think the rain washed it down to the grass. The foot steps look for sure like he walked through the spray then the grass. If he was spot spraying, even in a gale force wind there had to be a lot more spray than what would be expected from a spot spray to cover that large an area? Wierd, looks like he literally sprayed directly on the lawn from the sharp edge of the brown line. Was this a discruntled employee with an ax to grind? The house would have blocked most of the wind blowing in that direction?

vencops
06-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Actually, a wind blowing AT that house would be worse than one blowing in the direction of what I think is a bad case of drift.

I went to spray an industrial site (area between a fence and a 25' brick wall), last week and had to leave. Wind direction was blowing into the wall. At ground level, though, the wind was blowing towards the street (off the wall).

I left.

bfel
06-30-2011, 09:51 AM
He was someone helping out...my husband was licensed and did all of the spraying, I've closed the business and in the process of selling everything off due to his passing. As a favor I agreed to complete what should have been a simple job. We'll make it right, I'll hire a firm out to put down sod and replace any plantings that killed.

Patriot Services
06-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Wow, not the response anyone was expecting. Our deepest condolences for your loss.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
06-30-2011, 10:58 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss and the situation that you have to cope with. It will be hard. Do the best you can. The sun will rise again.

Roundup is normally inactivated when it hits the soil. Seldom moves--no root activity. My first thought was that the customer himself had used something here (like Ortho Triox ground clear stuff). It can move with the water flow.

Or perhaps (as you suspect) your helper used the Roundup directly without diluting it--as though it was the Ready-to-Use consumer spray bottle.
It seems odd that the shrubbery on the left and right side of the air conditioner--look to be OK.

Take a soil sample and plant some ryegrass in it and keep it where you can watch it. At 80 degrees you should get tiny sprouts in 4 to 5 days, if the soil is ok.
Perhaps best to go with sod--looks nice, instant, and less risk of a need for a redo. Let customer choose the sod farm if he wants. You may have to remove old sod with a sod cutter. Most landscapers can do this.