PDA

View Full Version : how many programs do you offer

grassmasterswilson
06-29-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm curious about how many programs everyone is offering. I know it depends on the market and location. Apparently areas like Florida and Up North have better markets and can get premium prices for services. In my area I can only offer just a basic service. Everyone just wante weed control and fertilization. Haven't done grub treatments in years. Right now I offer one program with add ons for disease and grubs. Warm season is 7 step and Cool season is 5 step.

I would love to offer special applications or extra rounds, but my market want handle the added cost. fine line between what I want to offer(a top of the line program) and what the customers want (a trugreen type program).

VLTS
06-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Think deeply what you offer. Are you a TG service? what sets you apart from your competetors? Do you offer better service? Localized v National? and sell that. Pricing isn't everything...but you have to be in the ballpark.

rockymtnmf
06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
I offer 2 "advertised" programs. A six step, standard, and an 8 step premium. The premium includes grub and aeration. I increase the price of ALL applications over the standard pricing. The extra cost of the aeration and grub are spread out over the other applications. But over all less money for the customer than if they ordered the aeration and grub separately.

I do also offer a 4 step (like a scotts homeowner program) but I only sell that if i can't sell them on the full 6 step program. I don't advertise that we even offer it.

I also WILL NOT do one application for anyone. It creates too many problems. They think one application will be a miracle fix. Never goes well. I only do grub and aeration/seeding as a one application service.

greendoctor
07-01-2011, 01:38 AM
I offer 2 "advertised" programs. A six step, standard, and an 8 step premium. The premium includes grub and aeration. I increase the price of ALL applications over the standard pricing. The extra cost of the aeration and grub are spread out over the other applications. But over all less money for the customer than if they ordered the aeration and grub separately.

I do also offer a 4 step (like a scotts homeowner program) but I only sell that if i can't sell them on the full 6 step program. I don't advertise that we even offer it.

I also WILL NOT do one application for anyone. It creates too many problems. They think one application will be a miracle fix. Never goes well. I only do grub and aeration/seeding as a one application service.

One time treatments are also not a part of my business either. There is usually a reason why the lawn has so many weeds and the shrubs so many pests. My treatment tools are not a magic wand that makes it all better even though there are things wrong with the irrigation and the yard has not seen the proper fertilizer in my lifetime.

gregory
07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
what no magic wand? i dont blame you guys for not offering one time treatments. it takes more time then that to get the yard in shape and keep in shape if the customer doesnt understand that they will be a problem child..

Think Green
07-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Typically a 7 step program!
Usually 5 on the minimum without irrigation.
If a customer wants a one bang splash...............I won't do it because my name is on the lawn and the customer will say........."Boy he didn't know what he was doing!" Especially when the other weeds wake up.
I don't do the customers that say.........."I will call you when I see some weeds pop up!"

kbrashears
07-01-2011, 10:05 PM
I'll do one time treatments. Grub, insect, and fertility. I won't do weed control on a one shot app.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
07-02-2011, 08:13 AM
thanks guys a have a great 6 step program for my warm seasons. In the last few years that particular program hasn't worked well on my fescue. When you season runs from March to November its hard to get 6 steps in when the temps are 90+ for half the season. I barely got through round 2 before the hot temps and burned up fescue started showing up...even with irrigation!

Any hints on what types of apps you can do on fescue during the hot months? I'm going to add a lime only application as one round just prior to seeding i think

vencops
07-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Have you looked at milorganite?

grassmasterswilson
07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Have you looked at milorganite?

I don't fertilize fescue in after april or so. Don't want to stress it in our heat. If you wanted 1 pound of N and use milorganite you need to apply 15-17 pounds per 1000 square feet. There a much cheaper products and at lower rates I would use. 16-0-8, 22-8-6, 25-0-5, 18-24-12, etc.

vencops
07-02-2011, 05:27 PM
From what I'm reading (incl. testimonials), you don't have to worry too much about root burn with the organics. That's the beauty of them. If the lawn needs food, now, you can feed it, now.

I'm in the same heat you're in.

You're about right on the amt./sf of milorganite. Label says 36#'s will cover 2500SF. I've heard of people putting down more.

Can you apply the products you're speaking of in July? Again, the beauty of the organics.

I just got the go-ahead (today) to put it down @ one of my customer's lawns. I'm gonna put it out, next week. We'll see.