PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used A Weedstick Applicator?

White Gardens
06-29-2011, 10:34 PM
http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=DKWS&lm=amle

I use a two gallon sprayer with a drift cone, and generally at low pressure and small droplet spectrum. So basically it's the same concept as what I do already but I like the ergonomic look of the Weedstick.

So, for landscape bed applications of RU, has anyone used one. My biggest concern is the durability and weather or not it would take the abuse of being in the back of my truck.

Think Green
06-29-2011, 10:54 PM
I can assure you that these things will take a beating.
I own a Bowman stick made in Newport, Ar. It is an older rope wick type and not the newer paint filament versions.
If you use the 2:1 ration of glyphosate and water as Ric mentions it is effective. My unit takes a minute to get things flowing to work!!!!

Wait--disregard my statement..........as i mistook this thing for what I have. No comparison to the construction.
Sorry!!!

White Gardens
06-29-2011, 11:53 PM
No problem.

I like the idea of a wick applicator, but I like the versatility of being able to spray large areas if need be along with detail spraying around plants.

I think even if I stick with my current set-up, I might try to find a super long wand to minimize bending over when spot spraying.

vencops
06-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Hey...WG...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solo-Sprayer-60-inch-Brass-Spray-Wand_W0QQitemZ190511290575QQcategoryZ75667QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

You got my interest up.

Ric
06-30-2011, 02:39 AM
White

I am not familar with the model you are looking at. But all other wicking devices work best when cleaned after each use. The major problem with the small Wicker is they never get clean.

I trick I use for Garlon 4 is the "Glue Can Trick". All the major irrigation supply houses sell PVC glue by the gallon. They sell quart empty glue cans. You can also buy the replacement Lids with dabbers on them. I only use Garlon 4 once and a great while and 99% of the time it is the Fresh/stump cut method. I even put a splash of Tracker Dye in it do I can see what I treated.

White Gardens
06-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks Vencops for posting that link to the long wand. I think that is going to be my best option as sometimes you need more volume of herbicide for certain properties and I might be filling the weedstick too often. Coupled with my drift cone, low pressure, and small droplet spectrum, I'm probably going to get the same results.

And Ric, the Weedstick I posted above says it delivers a fine mist of chemical with each trigger pull, so I'm assuming it's not a wick applicator.

But yes, I agree with your analysis of a wick applicator, it can get nasty and dirty pretty easily.

For projects where I need to use a wick applicator, I use a cheap kitchen handheld soap dispenser with the sponge on the end. Generally, the only time I do any wicking is when I have weed trees in shrubs and such where the stump gets treated after the cut with strait concentrate. Or, if I use my mixed solution to get bindweed/morning glories that are wrapping themselves around plants, if I can't get them untangled and on the ground for treatment.

Like I said, I think I was just drawn to the ergonomics of the weed stick rather than anything else it offered. My back has been taking a toll the last couple of years and I'm trying to minimize the bending over when I can.

All this talk about Wick applicators is bringing back memories of my younger days before RU ready soybeans. We would have a couple of fields that would get patches of Dogbane amongst the soybeans and I would go out with a PVC pipe and rope wick on the end to treat them.

vencops
06-30-2011, 01:24 PM
WG....before RU ready crops, WE used a hoe!.....lol

If you get that long wand.....let me know what you think. I'll trust your input, prior to ordering (or not).

RigglePLC
07-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Remember WG,
Drive works great on bindweed (wild morning glory). In most cases you can spray it over the top. Read the label carefully.