PDA

View Full Version : Was I overcharged?

tonym10
10-19-2002, 07:44 PM
The lawn care company I use to take care of my lawn fertilization recently aerated my lawn and overseeded it.They charge $576 plus tax to do the work, the bill reads ,Aerified and Overseeded ,Fertilized lawn.Aero/vator,approx 40,000 sq ft.Fert w/Overwinter rootbulder ,125 lbs Special grass mix seed.
It seems to me that when they did it couple years ago it was only like $300. Is this price fair?They were there no more then 2 hours,2 people.

soccer coach
10-19-2002, 08:03 PM
I would say that was a very good price. We charge .05 per sq foot to aerate, overseed, and fert. Alot of lco's offer discounts for larfe areas but I feel the same work is done for every sq foot so we charge the same. We back our price with a written warranty and put down quality product. The 125 lbs of seed seems very little but I can't say for sure without seeing how full the lawn is now. Comparing prices of a few years past isn't going to work. Just think how much everything has went up in price. Should lawns be done for the same price forever? If so the guy who you have and like will be out of biz from working so cheap. Good luck with your lawn.

The Mowerdude
10-22-2002, 05:37 AM
I'm with soccer coach. One problem for the professional is that there are always "marketing genuises" getting into the business that are pretty much clueless as to how to deliver quality but they can talk a good show. But they give themselves away by pricing themselves low. But that sends the wrong message to the general public and that is that lawncare can be haggled. The result is that, at least here in Tennessee, our aeration prices are basically the same as they were in 1992. We were making a good profit then, but now we're barely breaking even.

However, I've found that after more than a decade in business, I have a large enough customer base that I've been able to educate my customers as to exactly what it is that they are paying for. The majority of them now take the opinion that they are making an investment in their yards when they use my service and that's not an area that they want to "cheap" out.

If your service is really poor, yes you overpaid. If your service is really good and the quality is right on, no you didn't over pay. In fact, I think you got a pretty good deal. Without actually being able to look at the work, I'd say that your service is quite good just because he has the confidence to charge more than the newbies and states why. That comes from experience. He doesn't want to sell his work short.

One final thing. If everyone were looking for the lowest price, Mercedes wouldnt be able to sell cars. But everyone knows that when you buy a Mercedes, you get a much much finer automobile than the local KIA dealer is offering. It's the same with anything.

Green Pastures
10-22-2002, 09:22 AM
Well lets see.....

125 lbs of seed $120-$210
Fertilizer for 40 K sq ft $40-$80
2 people- 2 hours $60-$180
Equipment $50-$150
total $270-$620

I'd say you got a GREAT deal. There's no way in the world I'd do 40 K for less than $600 but I dont have the equipment to do really big aeration jobs. My aerator is a 26" wide Classen unit.

You have to understand the equipment to do these kinds of jobs is really costly, My Classen aerator cost me $2800.00 so if these 2 guys did your job with a tractor mounted aerator think about how much the tractor AND the aerator unit cost them. Not to mention liability insuracne which really starts to go up when you have a tractor to drive around on residential properties.

Yeah, you got a good deal.
Scott

tonym10
10-22-2002, 10:03 AM
Ok ,thank all of you for the input,after a llittle research I agree, it was a good price

Lawn-Scapes
10-24-2002, 10:22 PM
I think you received a good price.. or maybe I'm over charging :eek:

I did two 40k lawns recently @ $825 a piece. But I used about 300 pounds of seed per lawn.

Maybe you only got 125# of seed because it's the "Special" mix. ;)

IBGreen
11-17-2002, 10:39 PM
You got a decent price, I know it kinda stings but you'll be glad you "invested" the money.