PDA

View Full Version : Plants in a dessert scene

GreenAcresLandscaping
06-30-2011, 09:14 PM
I have one customer that i am putting some red 1/2" stone in for in all the beds around her pool. She said she would like to create a "desserty" scene and would like me to find some plants to install. There is already some Yucca planted in some spots but I need to find some other things. I am in zone 6 and the area is full sun. Any suggestions? Ive never had a request like this.

AGLA
06-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Silver and bluish foliage color works pretty well for this. There are a lot of varieties of sedum that can add a lot of foliage color and texture contrasts. A dwarf conifer or two can give you some size if you need it. Since it is actually not a desert, don't be afraid to cheat by using non-desert plants that support the look.

White Gardens
07-01-2011, 09:36 PM
look into the prickly pear cactus as it is hardy in colder climates. It can be a spreader though, so you'll need to keep it under control.

I think there is a couple of hardy aloes also, so look into that.

Sounds like you might have to special order a few plants to fill in around some of your cheater plants.

Another thing might be to buy some potted cactus that you can sink in the ground every year and either let them die in the fall, or pull them up and get them inside before the first frost. Just leave them in the pot and stick them in the ground so pulling them will be easier.