PDA

View Full Version : life span of hydro v.s belt

bababooie
10-19-2002, 10:15 PM
which do you think will last longer if everything is equal.maint etc.

stang358
10-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Well I have heard both good and bad about both. I have had really good luck with gear drive. I have an 1987 John Deere(Bunton) 48" that has over 9500 hours on it. No major repairs and only replaced 1 spindle bearing. It has a 12.5 HP Kaw on it and have never gotten into something I couldn't cut. It is an absolute workhorse! It has seen alot of time cutting fields that should have been brushhogged.

IBGreen
10-19-2002, 11:07 PM
I would like to know myself. I guess hydros?

TLS
10-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Are these "estimated" hours?

Or are they doucumented on an hour meter? How many engines has it had? The 12.5 Kawi is a real runner, but....

How many decks has it had?

Thats a quite UN-believable amout of hours.

Fill us in on the details.

Green Pastures
10-19-2002, 11:43 PM
I was gonna say........
Are you sure it's not 900?
I've seen mowers at the shop with 3300 hours on the hour meter and they looked like they had been through WWII!

Scott

IBGreen
10-20-2002, 12:03 AM
The most I've ever seen on one was 3000 hours. Guess I haven't been around long enough.

geogunn
10-20-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by bababooie
which do you think will last longer if everything is equal.maint etc.

they will obviously last the same if..."if everything is equal.maint etc."

through maintainance one would obviously replace a failing belt just as one would a failing hydro unit.

the same is true of everything else on both machines.

if your question is "which will last longer a drive belt or a hydro unit?", it does not seem to be relevant to me.

GEO

LAWNGODFATHER
10-20-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Are these "estimated" hours?

Or are they doucumented on an hour meter? How many engines has it had? The 12.5 Kawi is a real runner, but....

How many decks has it had?

Thats a quite UN-believable amout of hours.

Fill us in on the details.

I have seen the few posts about this on a few other threads.

I was not aware Bunton made John Deere's mowers for them.

It has to be estimated hours, I don't know of a mower with a 12.5 kaw on it that ever came with an hour meter.

As far as a hydro over a belt, no one can really answer, preventive maint will keep them both running for a long time.

Guido
10-20-2002, 04:35 AM
If I understood your question correctly.

I think.....if we're just talking drive system here....... The belt drive can last longer with less money spent in maintenance since there is much less to go wrong.

Does that make sense?? I'm feeling stupid this morning, so that may not have came out right.

bababooie
10-21-2002, 08:43 PM
yeah piason, that s what i figured