PDA

View Full Version : Check Out My Block Ice

PlantscapeSolutions
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I ran out of space in my personal freezer years ago and was buying bagged ice until last year. It was a long term waste of money to be spending $10 a week on ice. I bought a high quality freezer last year for $400. In the past I didn't have space for a second freezer but my new 45X30 shop fixed that problem.

Now I make my own block ice in large stainless steel bowls. It takes two days for the huge cubes to freeze solid so I have two cubes in progress at all times. These cubes are easily two gallon ice cubes. We use the large 10 gallon Igloo water cooler on our truck.

Block ice will last several times longer because there is less surface area exposed to the thermal transfer of energy. It's best to use a bowl that has a tapered bottom so it's easier to get the ice out. We hose down one the bowls in the morning and the ice comes right out.

Thin bowls work best for getting the ice out quickly. Thick bowls will have a slower rate of energy transfer and require more time for hosing them down to get the ice out. The second you put your hand on the bowls I use you can hear the ice start to crack and expand from your warm hands.

bilray
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
This is COOL

Khowell0
07-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Got a lot of time on your hands to post these pictures?

THEGOLDPRO
07-01-2011, 06:56 PM
uhhhhhhh ok.

modedicebox
07-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Innovation at its finest.

Agape
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
very nice ice!:cool2:

stuffdeer
07-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Personally I think its a great idea. I would go through a bag to two bags of ice a day. I may have to try this.

Mowingman
07-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Not a bad idea, but here is an easier one.
For many years, I have used empty plastic, one gallon milk jugs to freeze ice. I wash out empty jugs, fill them with water and freeze them. Just toss frozen jugs in the cooler. You can easily put 2 of them in a 5 gallon water cooler and they will keep the water cold all day, even in the heat we get here in Texas. Top them off and freeze them again. You can use them until they get a hole where they will not hold water in the freezer. Mine often last one or two months before I have to replace them.

JFGauvreau
07-03-2011, 09:48 PM
You should start selling your own ice then.

flatlander42
07-03-2011, 09:59 PM
For many years, I have used empty plastic, one gallon milk jugs to freeze ice. I wash out empty jugs, fill them with water and freeze them. Just toss frozen jugs in the cooler. You can easily put 2 of them in a 5 gallon water cooler and they will keep the water cold all day, even in the heat we get here in Texas. Top them off and freeze them again. You can use them until they get a hole where they will not hold water in the freezer. Mine often last one or two months before I have to replace them.

That's the ticket right there!!

My family has done that for many years. We even use the half gallon jugs for the smaller water coolers.

And when you run out of water in the cooler it is nice to have one last chance for a drink. Get the milk jug out and there you have it...reserve water! Only thing we did different was change the water each time it was frozen.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-04-2011, 05:54 PM

We use a 10 gallon cooler. Each bowl probably the equivalent of 2+ gallons. The problem with using a plastic jug is it will insulate the ice. As the water melts it will surround the ice in the jug and insulate it even more. By the end of the day you end up with warm water. It more efficient when you have no thermal barrier between the ice and the water your trying to cool.

I had a foremen years ago who tried jugs so I've seen how poorly they work. When you have 3-4 guys drinking water all day you go through a lot of water and even need to refill during the day sometimes.

mlavin73
07-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I just tried your ice block idea today and it worked perfectly. I threw in one block with like 5 trays of ice and when I went out tonight I still had ice in there from 12 hours ago. Glad you posted this. I was going through bags of ice like crazy.

PlantscapeSolutions
07-22-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm sure there are lots of guys who don't even think about how much those bags of ice are costing them every year. To keep an over sized 10 gallon cooler cold you could spend about $750 a year if you use two bags a day eight months out of the year.

Even though the blocks are about 2.5 gallon they are gone by the next morning in a big cooler but they do last all day. If I put bags of ice in the cooler two bags would be gone by the afternoon. Plus I have an extra full size freezer to use that was a business expense.

I've made several changes to my business that to improve efficiencies and save money. From ice to GPS I've found ways to put several grand a year in savings in my pocket.