PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy this truck any input

lawnkid14
07-01-2011, 01:59 PM
here is the link just wondering if it is a good deal or to stay away from it thanks

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/2459777141.html

WillRyan
07-01-2011, 02:05 PM
try to get it cheaper

KS_Grasscutter
07-01-2011, 02:23 PM
That truck would sell for that much or more all day long out here. Just check for rust because it's a Chevy and they like to rust BAD, like cab corners, fenders, under doors, etc. Also frame, hitch, etc.

mowerbrad
07-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Any vehicle is going to rust eventually up here in MI. Typcially the dodges are the worst up here. Chevy's seem to hold up pretty well, but none the less can still have the rust spots on the lower portions of the truck.

I would honestly run away from that truck, FAST! The fact that the guy has put more aggressive tires/wheels on, dual exhaust and has had the tranny rebuilt at less than 150k, leads me to believe that this truck was driven pretty hard.

If I were you I'd try to find a stock truck. If you want to do some mods, do it yourself.

Aaronnc
07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't want no more than 7 1/2 - 7 3/4 in it. 8 tops once you put eyes on it and she's in the wrapper. They are going all day long on Manheim for 7-7.5 with dealers reselling them for 9.

If I were you, I'd check out the rubber and the body, and since he's done so much work to it, take a obd2 scanner with you to see if she's flashing you with any dirty thoughts. If everything is kosher and title is clean, I'd start at 7.5 and go to 8 tops.

(Carfaxes work at a dealer, worthless when buying from an individual. And only works at dealers if reported. I've seen salvaged titles and odo rollbacks never show on a carfax.)

Cheap Scanner: http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9125-PocketScan-Code-Reader/dp/B0007LEG2K/ref=sr_1_59?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1309545638&sr=1-59

Body Damage Gauge: http://www.amazon.com/Paint-Thickness-Tester-coating-thickness/dp/B004E780X4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3

(Good stuff to have lying around regardless.)

Good Luck

knox gsl
07-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm with Brad on this, usually when you see aftermarket stuff its is a red flag. Tranny rebuild with less than 200K???

Birdhunter1
07-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I'd have to agree with others, with that many steering and front end parts replaced and the transmission and transfer case rebuilt I have to think it had been offroaded pretty hard. You see alot of trucks with oversize aftermarket tires, but not all of them have had to replace those parts. Having offroaded an older truck pretty hard before I can tell you those parts are usually the first to wear (ball joints, tie rods, pitman arms, transfer case) and the mileage sounds about right for those thing to start showing wear and needing replaced. I am not familiar with the front ends completely on newer truck but I would think CV joints, front differentials and such will go next.

The transfer case is still what gets me, usually those are bomb proof unless you are doing that severe articulating rock climbing stuff. I never had one go (the truck I rode hard was my first, an '83 F250 4wd and I got my license in '96) or on my second truck ('84 F150). My buddies never had to rebuild them either and they gave em all sorts of torture. Part of me believes the Borg Warners in the older trucks were built stronger, part of me believes that newer trucks have just as strong components.

Your call but I think it has been rode hard a few to many times.

Get Some...
07-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Buy a truck from someone who is old.........generally well taken care of and not beat on.

punt66
07-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I completely disagree with everybody on here. Front ends need replacing. Sounds like the guy was taking good care of it and replacing everything that needed replacing on a high mileage vehicle. Personally i would not buy something with high mileage but to say he drove the truck hard because he had to replace parts doesnt make sense.

93Chevy
07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
If that truck was closer, I'd at least look at it and maybe pick it up myself.

The guy took the time to write out everything that's been replaced...not just "truck runs good with new parts"

It's definitely worth a look at and take it to your mechanic to check it out.

ed2hess
07-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Buy a truck from someone who is old.........generally well taken care of and not beat on.

This is the right answer....that truck has been beat to hell on some off road stuff and has tooo many miles on it.

MnGreen
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I completely disagree with everybody on here. Front ends need replacing. Sounds like the guy was taking good care of it and replacing everything that needed replacing on a high mileage vehicle. Personally i would not buy something with high mileage but to say he drove the truck hard because he had to replace parts doesnt make sense.

I'm with Punt66 on his opinion.
Your talking about a (8) year old truck with under 20g a year mileage on it which is average miles. Especially if it's a truck that is not used as a truck which the miles would reflect, and the condition of it.
Upgrading wheels and front end component fixes at 150,000 is normal on stock wheels let alone oversized.
Turning the truck in to rock hopper abuse is ignorant to assume.
Look @ the truck, get a compression check done on it.
All the "normal" worries and expected fixes have been taken care of, and the price seems to be well within a national average private party sale price.

KS_Grasscutter
07-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Even if it has been off road, its got gobs of new parts. And all the z71s I've been around need front end work around 150k, its just what they do.
Posted via Mobile Device

pooleo8
07-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I would be leary since the trans/t-case and all those front end parts being replaced. Ball joints can be expected here in michigan. Unless the guy just said F it and while doing ball joints might as well replace everything in the front end. Tie rods and ball joints are common. Pitman arm? I've only heard of the idle arm going out on plow trucks. So theres something hes not saying

93Chevy
07-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Looks the seller bought a truck, used it as a truck, replaced what needed to be, and is now selling it, looking to buy another truck to use as a truck.

Just go check it out. Can't hurt. Be wary, but check it out. I would.

Agape
07-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I think you can get an Isuzu with a dump for that kind of money.

Agape
07-02-2011, 06:28 PM
here:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2425966362.html

ParkWelding
07-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Good lord, A 14 year old gas Isuzu salt and plow truck is what you would recommend to someone not looking to spend much money on a used pickup???

ParkWelding
07-02-2011, 11:47 PM
If the body is clean, that would probably be a good truck for $7500 or so.

mowerbrad
07-03-2011, 12:39 AM
I looked on Craigslist for your area and you don't seem to have near as many trucks listed for sale on there as we do here on the west side of MI. Don't be afraid to drive to get a vehicle, especially if you happen to buy from a dealer. When I bought my current truck I drove about 2 hours to get it.

Here's a 1500 that I found out in my area...

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2430195186.html

93Chevy
07-03-2011, 07:00 AM
I looked on Craigslist for your area and you don't seem to have near as many trucks listed for sale on there as we do here on the west side of MI. Don't be afraid to drive to get a vehicle, especially if you happen to buy from a dealer. When I bought my current truck I drove about 2 hours to get it.

Here's a 1500 that I found out in my area...

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/2430195186.html

How is that truck better?

It's only a 1/2 ton with the same miles and less listed information, plus the AC needs recharged. I'd check out that blue truck first.

mowerbrad
07-03-2011, 10:58 AM
How is that truck better?

It's only a 1/2 ton with the same miles and less listed information, plus the AC needs recharged. I'd check out that blue truck first.

Yes its only a 1/2 ton truck, the blue one he was looking at was also a 1/2 ton, so this one is pretty comparable.

A truck that was driven mostly highway miles will be in much better condition than the truck that was used to go off-roading and has a few aftermarket add-ons (exhaust and larger wheels/tires), like the blue truck. The truck I found is also newer, a crew cab and judging from the pictures posted has just as much stuff, if not more, it has steering wheel audio controls and dual climate control (which would at least be a nicely equipped LT model).

Any used truck you buy will probably have to have something done to it, recharging the AC isn't going to be that big of a deal.

93Chevy
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Yes its only a 1/2 ton truck, the blue one he was looking at was also a 1/2 ton, so this one is pretty comparable.

A truck that was driven mostly highway miles will be in much better condition than the truck that was used to go off-roading and has a few aftermarket add-ons (exhaust and larger wheels/tires), like the blue truck. The truck I found is also newer, a crew cab and judging from the pictures posted has just as much stuff, if not more, it has steering wheel audio controls and dual climate control (which would at least be a nicely equipped LT model).

Any used truck you buy will probably have to have something done to it, recharging the AC isn't going to be that big of a deal.

I must have gotten confused, I thought for sure the original truck was a 3/4 ton. My mistake.

Anyways, you're not going to convince me that a truck with add-ons is more prone to failure than a stock truck. The first truck the owner replaced probably everything that needed to be replaced. With the truck you showed, he didn't even take the time to recharge the AC.