PDA

View Full Version : Sinkhole

Tony Harrell
10-20-2002, 07:42 AM
I had a small hole next to some plastic bed edging next to my house and thought it was a rodent burrow. It was about the size of a tennis ball so I filled it in. That was about a month ago. About a week ago my mower tire sank into it and I thought the dirt was settling and I'd have to fill it in again. Before I got around to it, it became the size of a basketball and had a large cavity inside. One side of it was sheer like it was done with a shovel. It took 4 40 lb bags of dirt to fill it in with a little mounded up on top. There is an old well about 10 feet away and a downspout about 2 feet from the hole but nothing has changed in years except we got city water a couple of years ago and discontinued using the well. Anybody got any ideas?

Dan1944
10-20-2002, 09:42 AM
I dont know if this applies to you or not, but back in the 70's at my old home, I had a small sink hole near my spetic tank 2 years after hooking up to city sewers. I refilled it and it didn't reappear for the last 10 years that I lived there.

Dan the lawn care man

Guido
10-20-2002, 03:52 PM
I would say you need to do some digging. I would check the downspout if it is ran into a drain pipe underground. You didn't say if it just dumps out or runs underground.

Where did they run the water line? It could be a water leak, or maybe just settling around the newly installed pipe.

Tony Harrell
10-20-2002, 09:19 PM
The downspout just runs out on top of the ground. The city water pipe comes in on the other side of the house. Nothing has changed for years except the discontinuation of using the well.

dlandscaping
10-20-2002, 11:21 PM
a city water piped burst outside our home a year ago and i heard this running water. Looked out to see the mississippi river running down in the street in front of the house. It was all mud coming up through a crack. We called the city they said we ll get to it when we can. We stopped all traffic coming through with our cars and by noon 3hrs later the hole swallowed the street. It as at least 20ft deep about 35ft wide. I can only imagine if a car had gone over it.

geogunn
10-21-2002, 08:49 AM
tony--what kind of bedrock do you have in that area?

limestone? dolomite? it could mean trouble if there are other sinkholes in the area.

houses and whole neighborhoods can be lost to them.

BTW--were you there to greet ANDY GRIFFITH upon his return home?

GEO

HarryD
10-21-2002, 12:10 PM
do you have a septic system or do you use the city sewer system . a friend of mine had the same problom turned out to be a hole in the sewer pipe and since it was up close to his house charged him for the repair:mad:

Gravely_Man
10-21-2002, 12:56 PM
I would be concerned as you are. Sorry that I don't have any suggestions other then the ones given. I would hate for this to go uncorrected and you end up cracking the foundation of your home. Best of luck!.

Gravely_Man

Tony Harrell
10-22-2002, 06:24 AM
I wasn't here for the Andy Griffith Parkway. I had to work in Winsto-Salem. I don't know what kind of rock we have except we have the largest open faced granite quarry here in town. We're called the granite city. I've heard strange noises occasionally from my basement and I noticed the bottom row of brick steps on the other side of the house are seperating from the rest.