PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Hikers.....

ATLandcare
07-02-2011, 10:44 AM
So I figured the Appalachian trail might be a popular destination for some of you guys and wouldn't mind hearing about some of the trips you have taken and so on.....

How many here have hiked the whole thing?

Who here section hikes it?

Something you've always wanted to do???

Last year I hiked the trail Sobo(southbound) from Maine to GA. I'll post some pics and other info later tonight.

bare spot
07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
been yrs but use to do a lot of day hikes where it goes through the pocono's, delaware water gap area. been on sections in other states up north but pretty much just for a day or two in and out. does it go through the white mts and mt washington, had fun hiking in that area.

ATLandcare
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
been yrs but use to do a lot of day hikes where it goes through the pocono's, delaware water gap area. been on sections in other states up north but pretty much just for a day or two in and out. does it go through the white mts and mt washington, had fun hiking in that area.

I know the water gap well....slept in a church there and ate at a really good bakery in that town.

Yup It runs all through the white mountains in NH and across the Presidentials(includes Washington, Madison, Jefferson, Garfield?, and others on Franconia such as Lincoln.

bare spot
07-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I know the water gap well....slept in a church there and ate at a really good bakery in that town.

Yup It runs all through the white mountains in NH and across the Presidentials(includes Washington, Madison, Jefferson, Garfield?, and others on Franconia such as Lincoln.
didn't think it was that long ago but was bout 20 yrs ago for me. also place called tuckerman ravine is in that area, did ya climb mt washinton? remember getting to the top and people were driving up from the other side, thought i was miles from traffic after hiking for couple days. another place spent time at in pa. on the trail, place called hawk mt, bird (watching) area, nice there, oct and nov., think part of trail conects. btw how the shoes hold up, one pair get ya through?

bare spot
07-03-2011, 11:54 PM
btw not sure if there is a stat on starting and finishing the trail but think that's a nice accomplishment.

ATLandcare
07-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Yup I climbed up to Mount Washington from the base of madison....people driving up there is a bummer. I'm very familiar with Hawk Mountain as well and when I was nearby saw a massive migration...freaking awesome.

It has roughly a 10% completion rate...about 3500 people try it each year (3000+ north and 300ish south) and about 300-350 make it. I went south.