PDA

View Full Version : What is a Florida L&O Certification Worth???

Ric
07-02-2011, 04:13 PM

I was at my Mechanic's yesterday when the subject came up. He has known me a very long time and said I had paid dearly for mine. Besides hiring a CPO and starting by own Pesticide company, I kept them long after I went back to college to get a Degree and the Education to pass the Test.

In Florida even if you have a PhD in Entomology you must work under a CPO for one year to qualify to sit for the test. From scratch you must have 3 years working under a CPO.

The Local Rent A License company has fought all the legal battles and uses all the Loop holes. But it is a $ 2500 Buy in and over a Hundred dollars for a monthly Fee to cover office expenses. Then all work must be billed so payment goes to them and their Percentage for each job is taken right off the top. In addition each Tech must take a training class on Thursday each and every week. There are 3 Rent A License companies in the state that I know of that are Legal or using the Loopholes correctly to stay under the wire for now. I know there are countless Rent A Licenses that are totally illegal.

As a General rule a CPO who might just work in the office or train Techs etc is worth $ 50K plus benefits to start. As a one man part time band I make $ 50K. With good marketing and a few techs, the sky is the limit.

SO WHAT IS A PESTICIDE CERTIFICATION WORTH TO YOU???? How much would you willing to do or pay to be able to sit and past the CPO test??

BTW I would like feed back from CPO as well as non-CPO. I was a grass cutter the day I got my Pesticide License. As soon as I started offering insect and weed control my business doubled in size over night and kept on growing until Hurricane Charlie liked it better than I did.

zturncutter
07-02-2011, 05:35 PM
A Non-CPO isn't going to know and a CPO does not want to say :)

ProMo
07-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I put in my 3 years with a member on this site that Ric referred me to. I worked one day a week from sunrise to sunset pulling hose uphill both ways for below minimum wage pay actually i liked it so much I worked for free . It took me years looking for this opportunity and has so far been rewarding.

Ric
07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
A Non-CPO isn't going to know and a CPO does not want to say :)

Alan

Most CPO have enough competition that they don't want to create more by training a competitor. Google the phone directory of a larger county than Desoto. You will find a ton on pesticide companies.

I think you might be right about the average lawn cutter not realizing how valuable a Pesticide Certification is in Florida. The income potential is HUGE. I could have an infinite number of spray techs working under my license. My average NET profit is just over 60% of gross sales on L & O. Straight Insecticide treatments I spend more on Gasoline getting there than on Chemicals used, for a 85% net Profit.

But after all the Travel to attend classes, all the sweat & money spend on college tuition and hiring a CPO, I am still ahead.

But my question still is WHAT DID YOU OR WOULD YOU DO OR SPEND TO GET A CPO????

I put in my 3 years with a member on this site that Ric referred me to. I worked one day a week from sunrise to sunset pulling hose uphill both ways for below minimum wage pay actually i liked it so much I worked for free . It took me years looking for this opportunity and has so far been rewarding.

Brian

Let's give Tim Smith Credit where Credit is due for giving you a wonderful opportunity. I might of set up the deal and referred you, But you didn't let me down and you and Tim are still good friends. BTW You Got a 98% on the hardest pesticide test in the nation???? UMM looks like I know how to pick them.

Florida Gardener
07-02-2011, 11:51 PM
I would love to get an L&O. I only need 1 year under a co. as I have a Hort. degree. How much is it worth to me, i don't know. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to just do L&O as I enjoy doing LS design, installs, and maintenance on nice homes.....

Ric
07-03-2011, 07:41 AM
I would love to get an L&O. I only need 1 year under a co. as I have a Hort. degree. How much is it worth to me, i don't know. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to just do L&O as I enjoy doing LS design, installs, and maintenance on nice homes.....

Chris

You are Too far out of my area as was ProMo, and I am not really looking at starting a Rent A License. But would you do like ProMo and work one day a week for a Pesticide company?? ProMo did it for 3 years. Or would you pay $ 2500 up front plus all the Fees to be a legal employee of a Rent A License company??

Everyone Has a different out look on what it is worth. In your case Design and Install is where the Big Money is. It is also Feast and Famin in the fact you always have to be selling new jobs.

The real value in a L&O is high margin reoccurring income from maintenance work. Having a L&O sets you apart from the average Lawn boy. Add a irrigation license and you are competing with Valley Crest.

Florida Gardener
07-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Ric I would def be willing to do that. I also want to get my irrigation license and I will be studying for the ISA exam this winter when things slow down. I agree that design and install work is feast/ famine. That is why I do maintenance. The margins on maintenance are the lowest, but keep in mind we have a lot of estate homes here that easily fetch 1k-2k+/mo. just on maintenance which is great $$. Doing 100/mo. Accounts is not what I want or plan on doing forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Ric I would def be willing to do that. I also want to get my irrigation license and I will be studying for the ISA exam this winter when things slow down. I agree that design and install work is feast/ famine. That is why I do maintenance. The margins on maintenance are the lowest, but keep in mind we have a lot of estate homes here that easily fetch 1k-2k+/mo. just on maintenance which is great $$. Doing 100/mo. Accounts is not what I want or plan on doing forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

This opens the door to a new thread about What are the Most Profitable Green Industry services both in terms of Margin and Volume.

Of course everyone is different and have different abilities. Therefore they are only willing to pay a certain amount for certain licenses or education on what interests them. Of course in Yankee States where Pesticide Licenses are Prizes in Crack Jack boxes everyone one has a license

IMHO here in Florida of the Reoccurring Revenue maintenance services, Chemical Lawn Care has the highest margin and volume of all other services. This might explain why there are more Big Pesticide companies here in Florida than Big Mowing companies. Sure a Irrigation call can net you a Higher margin but not on a consistent basics like scheduled Fert & Squirt. Equipment maintenance is a lot less than keeping up mowers and weed eaters etc. My gold package is $ 1050 a year for 14 visits per year on a 5K or less turf plus Shrub beds. Before I pay myself, my margin is just over 60%.

BTW Structural Pest Control has an even higher margin but not the volume or Demand of L&O. Also I find the Granola Nuts are Super willing to have Chlordane and DDT sprayed in their house if the see a Palmetto bug. I would trade 2 L&O accounts for one Structural account for less stress and BS.

Florida Gardener
07-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Chris

This opens the door to a new thread about What are the Most Profitable Green Industry services both in terms of Margin and Volume.

Of course everyone is different and have different abilities. Therefore they are only willing to pay a certain amount for certain licenses or education on what interests them. Of course in Yankee States where Pesticide Licenses are Prizes in Crack Jack boxes everyone one has a license

IMHO here in Florida of the Reoccurring Revenue maintenance services, Chemical Lawn Care has the highest margin and volume of all other services. This might explain why there are more Big Pesticide companies here in Florida than Big Mowing companies. Sure a Irrigation call can net you a Higher margin but not on a consistent basics like scheduled Fert & Squirt. Equipment maintenance is a lot less than keeping up mowers and weed eaters etc. My gold package is $ 1050 a year for 14 visits per year on a 5K or less turf plus Shrub beds. Before I pay myself, my margin is just over 60%.

BTW Structural Pest Control has an even higher margin but not the volume or Demand of L&O. Also I find the Granola Nuts are Super willing to have Chlordane and DDT sprayed in their house if the see a Palmetto bug. I would trade 2 L&O accounts for one Structural account for less stress and BS.

Rick I agree with you 100%. I also enjoy landscaping as well. My goal is to get 25-30 accounts that are 1k+/mo on maintenance alone and do installs, irrigation, tree work, and chems. I will eventually get all licensing needed. This biz isn't all about money for me, I enjoy working in it as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

bugsNbows
07-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Chris

Agree also. GHP is where the $ is in relation to headaches. I just like L&O so that's where our majority lies. Once you get certified, all you need is a PU, B&G and a bag of granules. LOL, you're in business now!

Ric
07-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Agree also. GHP is where the $ is in relation to headaches. I just like L&O so that's where our majority lies. Once you get certified, all you need is a PU, B&G and a bag of granules. LOL, you're in business now!

Rick

Yes But; GHP (Structural Pest Control) also takes the most marketing to gain accounts. With today's Chemicals and Cement Block Construction etc the Demand for Inside PC isn't what it used to be. I can pick up 10 L&O accounts easier than I can get one GHP account.

As much as I want to get out of L&O because of the Tree Huggers, I realize I have to stay because that is where my Bread & Butter is at this time.

BTW have you heard about the new state Fertilizer law.

Ric
07-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Rick

You have a degree in Entomology and worked at Disney World for several years to get your CPO. So you have paid dearly in both Money and Sweat for your CPO. My question is if you were a grass cutter with a established business and had to start from scratch, What price in sweat and money would you pay for a CPO??

Second question is how valuable is a Commercial L&O pesticide license to a Landscape maintenance company??

Landscape Poet
07-05-2011, 09:52 PM
To give the most direct answer to what your question of what it is worth to me IMHO Ric. If I were just looking to add it to my business I would guess in terms of profit IF i was able to achieve the net you have given, It would be worth a pretty penny.
I have referred (sold) 22 accounts in the last 12 months for the L & O company I currently recommend. Given your net of 60% and the rough average of what the properties the size that this company has gained of $90 every two months. That would give me a gross of $11800 a year and net of $7128 each year assuming your numbers given and I could net the same and the average of the current L & O I recommend. Not a bad little chunk of change but as you know the real key would be the business that a lawn turd like myself could gain from being able to offer a 1 stop shop for the clients. That opens a real world of opportunity.

Ric
07-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Mikey

You are stroking my ego with you answer. But It was worth everything to me. Remember I was in my 60's when I sat for the test. That was a lot of sweat at that age. But that doesn't mean it is the end of the world if you don't become a CPO. A lot of big Landscapers don't have a pesticide license.

Florida Gardener
07-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Mikey

You are stroking my ego with you answer. But It was worth everything to me. Remember I was in my 60's when I sat for the test. That was a lot of sweat at that age. But that doesn't mean it is the end of the world if you don't become a CPO. A lot of big Landscapers don't have a pesticide license.

Bottom line is the more certs and knowledge you have is only going to be more valuable to you and a customer. Obviously, a maintenance company that can do chem apps legally to turf is going to be huge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Mikey

Ric,

you know I pull no punches, not trying to stroke your ego at all. But just trying to answer your question the best that I could based off of the numbers I know of and the info on Net that you provided.
Sounds like a hell of profitable side of the business that is for sure. Not sure that I will ever pursue it for sure or not but I can tell you that I can see the potential even for just using to supplement maintenance accounts. However, we often talk about how there is so many LCO's here in FL and if you pull to a intersection you can see 4 trailers being pulled. The fact is that if you look hard enough there are four chemical trucks right behind those trailers. I can imagine breaking into the market and being profitable can be very challenging. The last couple L& O start ups that I have seen around here are what I almost perceive giving there work away to get there name out there, the issue is of course some of their lawns are "rescue" lawns which the lawns have fallen apart, and there is there flag hanging in the lawn advertising there work.
Also from my perspective in dealing with clients, there seems to be more consumer mistrust with L & O companies. It appears that if you do not make their lawn look like a golf course in 3 months - in their mind you are not doing the job correctly. This has to lead to high turnover correct.

Ric
07-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Ric,

you know I pull no punches, not trying to stroke your ego at all. But just trying to answer your question the best that I could based off of the numbers I know of and the info on Net that you provided.
Sounds like a hell of profitable side of the business that is for sure. Not sure that I will ever pursue it for sure or not but I can tell you that I can see the potential even for just using to supplement maintenance accounts. However, we often talk about how there is so many LCO's here in FL and if you pull to a intersection you can see 4 trailers being pulled. The fact is that if you look hard enough there are four chemical trucks right behind those trailers. I can imagine breaking into the market and being profitable can be very challenging. The last couple L& O start ups that I have seen around here are what I almost perceive giving there work away to get there name out there, the issue is of course some of their lawns are "rescue" lawns which the lawns have fallen apart, and there is there flag hanging in the lawn advertising there work.
Also from my perspective in dealing with clients, there seems to be more consumer mistrust with L & O companies. It appears that if you do not make their lawn look like a golf course in 3 months - in their mind you are not doing the job correctly. This has to lead to high turnover correct.

Mikey

You make an excellent point about the 4 lawn trailer and 4 pesticide trucks at every stop light. It has been a while since I played count the Lawn and Pest trucks on the road today. It does surprise you to realize it is close to 50/50. Depending on the time of years it can be real lop sided toward Pesticide. But also remember you are counting Start Up Scrub lawn companies but a Pesticide Company must have a CPO with experience. While every business has it's competition, the Green Industry in Florida really has some real Competition. The pesticide side of the Green Industry has a lot of Big Boys with deep pockets to advertise. Name branding is big time with companies like Scott, Orkin, Home Defense, Truly Nolen and TG/CL to name a few.

I know a Pest Control company that added Lawn mowing as a lost leader just so they could sell spraying accounts. Talk about $ 10.00 mowing prices? how about $ 2 and $ 3 per apartment pest control prices on larger Units. TG/CL is half what I charge. I recently talked with a young TG/CL spray guy who had to do 25 lawns a day.

bugsNbows
07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Rick

You have a degree in Entomology and worked at Disney World for several years to get your CPO. So you have paid dearly in both Money and Sweat for your CPO. My question is if you were a grass cutter with a established business and had to start from scratch, What price in sweat and money would you pay for a CPO??

Second question is how valuable is a Commercial L&O pesticide license to a Landscape maintenance company??

Good questions Ric. Knowledge is a funny thing. Somebody once told me... it's not what you know, it's what you do with what you know. In that regard, it's usually beneficial to grow in knowledge and services. It just may separate you from the competition. We are all basically commodities. How you make yourself marketable is your choice.

Landscape Poet
07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Mikey

While every business has it's competition, the Green Industry in Florida really has some real Competition. The pesticide side of the Green Industry has a lot of Big Boys with deep pockets to advertise. Name branding is big time with companies like Scott, Orkin, Home Defense, Truly Nolen and TG/CL to name a few.

You are correct, all you have to do is pull out the June issue of Landscape Mgmt every year and go down the 150 and count the number of them from FL and look at the dollar signs. The competition is here for sure, but it appears that the money is also.

Landscape Poet
07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Let me turn the tide ric and ask this. What is a solid referral worth to you from a LCO? In my case for example, once they contact the potential client it is already sold 90% of the time as I have talked them up so well and as long as they do not get overly greedy, they get it and maintain it with very low turnover.
What is that referral worth to you L & O operators? I have some companies that approach me and offer me nothing, others offer free service, others offer cash for the initial visit and reoccuring income each year on the anniversary date of the contract.... so L & O operators.....what is that worth????????

Ric
07-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Let me turn the tide ric and ask this. What is a solid referral worth to you from a LCO? In my case for example, once they contact the potential client it is already sold 90% of the time as I have talked them up so well and as long as they do not get overly greedy, they get it and maintain it with very low turnover.
What is that referral worth to you L & O operators? I have some companies that approach me and offer me nothing, others offer free service, others offer cash for the initial visit and reoccuring income each year on the anniversary date of the contract.... so L & O operators.....what is that worth????????

Mikey

Let us not pull any punches. Customers cost money to acquire no matter how they come to you. Referrals are a form of word of mouth and even more valuable than advertisement. A word of mouth customer is an automatic close 98% of the time.

So How Much?? Truly Nolen offers a $ 50 finders fee to any LCO per customer sold. I am not sure what others offer. But it all depends on what your agreement is with the L&O CPO. I mostly do networking with the same people where there is no exchange of money. Instead we refer each other. However IMHO the price of one treatment or the first treatment is a fair finder fee for both parties. I have a $ 75 minimum for a Fert Squirt. I also offer a straight Insecticide service for only $ 50 on a 80 X 120 lot. Therefore I would pay either $ 75 or $ 50 as a finders fee.

Bottom line is, if you sending a L&O CPO work and they aren't sending you work back or a finders fee, it might be time to have a talk.

BTW I don't look for a finders fee when I refer someone, I am only looking for the good will of Networking. I try and only refer someone, I know does good work. I only ask they treat my customer right because any thing they do reflects back on me because I recommended them. That is a Double edge sword so remember that when referring some one.

Florida Gardener
07-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Mikey

Let us not pull any punches. Customers cost money to acquire no matter how they come to you. Referrals are a form of word of mouth and even more valuable than advertisement. A word of mouth customer is an automatic close 98% of the time.

So How Much?? Truly Nolen offers a $ 50 finders fee to any LCO per customer sold. I am not sure what others offer. But it all depends on what your agreement is with the L&O CPO. I mostly do networking with the same people where there is no exchange of money. Instead we refer each other. However IMHO the price of one treatment or the first treatment is a fair finder fee for both parties. I have a $ 75 minimum for a Fert Squirt. I also offer a straight Insecticide service for only $ 50 on a 80 X 120 lot. Therefore I would pay either $ 75 or $ 50 as a finders fee.

Bottom line is, if you sending a L&O CPO work and they aren't sending you work back or a finders fee, it might be time to have a talk.

BTW I don't look for a finders fee when I refer someone, I am only looking for the good will of Networking. I try and only refer someone, I know does good work. I only ask they treat my customer right because any thing they do reflects back on me because I recommended them. That is a Double edge sword so remember that when referring some one.

Ric you and I would get along great if you lived around here....that is how I work as well...I don't ask for or expect a kickback, just some referrals if possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Mikey

Ric, I agree with the networking part - I currently working with company that essentially gives me credits towards their services, still not a bad deal, but I found out after I started recommending them that they offer this, so it usually a good trade as long as they make the clients lawn look good by doing what they are suppose to.

I was just curious to see what other would offer as stated I have heard a wide variety of offers over the last couple of years for sure.

vencops
07-07-2011, 07:58 AM
As a General rule a CPO who might just work in the office or train Techs etc is worth $ 50K plus benefits to start. As a one man part time band I make $ 50K.

With those (state of FL) restrictions and educational/internship requirements?

I would've thought more ($$).

Interesting.

Ric
07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Ric you and I would get along great if you lived around here....that is how I work as well...I don't ask for or expect a kickback, just some referrals if possible.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric, I agree with the networking part - I currently working with company that essentially gives me credits towards their services, still not a bad deal, but I found out after I started recommending them that they offer this, so it usually a good trade as long as they make the clients lawn look good by doing what they are suppose to.

I was just curious to see what other would offer as stated I have heard a wide variety of offers over the last couple of years for sure.

IMHO You are both expressing the Ideal and Philosophy of real businessmen who markets them self, Not Yard Boys. Idea of full service is also providing Information of other providers. You want a relationship with the Customer were they come to you first for any needed service. They need a Plumber and good old Joe who you drink coffee with every morning at the Circle K is super happy for an other job. BTW Joe the plumber MIGHT send you back a customer. But what are the Business clubs CARD EXCHANGE FOR but the same thing. BTW you want a Pesticide company that isn't going to blame you for problem. You need one that works with you.

Yard Boys on the other hand are jealous someone is going to make more money than they do, or Steal their customer. They end up tiring to be a jack of all trades and lose money or time because they mess up.

Do what you do best and leave the rest. you will make more money with less hassles by specializing and being the best in one or two things than being the worst in everything.

With those (state of FL) restrictions and educational/internship requirements?

I would've thought more ($$).

Interesting.

Ven

Believe it or not there are CPO's out of work or they have moved on to other things. I know of a website where those CPO advertise to rent their certifications. BTW The State inspectors know the website also an have those guys in their radar. In an other thread here in the Fla forum talking about a Dead Beat pesticide company owner, he was busted for Rent a License from that same website.

BTW I am talking $ 50 K to start. Remember a certification or a Degree only gets you IN the door. What you do is up to you.

bugsNbows said it right

it's not what you know, it's what you do with what you know.

Mjcurry3
07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, If someone wanted to rent my L & O.... I would probably ask for $5000 up front (because of what we call and emergency cert. here in FL) , then $750-1000 per month.

Anyone looking to rent a license here in FL should know its value IMO. Most people wanting to rent your license will already have a great customer base to start pulling customer from and begin making instant money.

Ric
07-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Hmmm, If someone wanted to rent my L & O.... I would probably ask for $5000 up front (because of what we call and emergency cert. here in FL) , then $750-1000 per month.

Anyone looking to rent a license here in FL should know its value IMO. Most people wanting to rent your license will already have a great customer base to start pulling customer from and begin making instant money.

Mj

That is how I did it. I hired a CPO and applied for a Pesticide license using him as my CPOIC. But he worked for me full time. I did my home work and knew exactly what I was getting into. I had a mowing business and simply advertised I was now offering Fert & Squirt on my invoices. 3 months later I passed the break even point and was turning a profit. Of course once I turned a Profit the CPO wanted me to give him Half my business. We said good by and I called the local inspector who I had consulted long before doing the deal. He said no problem he knew of a CPO who was just right for my job. 10 minutes later I got a call from his wife who is a full book CPO and a Mother of two young babies. She was an experienced Pesticide Office manager and she was super at it. She was a full time employee as per the law but only had to work a few hours and be on call. I got inspected to death and some of the best training anyone could ask for. We are still good friend and he is no longer an inspector.

BTW There are several Legal Rent A License companies around the state. They have a big Buy like you are asking and about the same monthly fee. Only they work you on the books like an employee who gets profit share. The one in Ft Myers offers no Territory protection and will put two guys in the same neighborhood.

To be honest I looked into starting a Rent A Legal License operation in my semi retirement. I came to the conclusion you are correct about the $ 5,000 up front buy in and a $ 500 cost per month to just cover expenses. Plus I would need at least 5 guys to make it work. There are allot more hoops to jump through to keep legal and below the radar than I want to deal with.

Ric
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM

MJ

Rethinking your post, If I had 3 or 4 guys show up on my door step with $ 5 K each and a Thousand a month I might be tempted to start a legal Rent A License. The big problem is keeping all the paper work in order and making sure all the I are dotted and T are crossed. Weekly training sessions would be mandatory and anyone caught moon lighting would lose their card in a NYC second. All accounts would be the legal property of the company and not the spray tech for legal reasons. A non-compete clause would be signed so they couldn't take their accounts to an other company but if and when they passed the Test they could have their accounts to be fair with them. BTW all Payroll taxes would be paid and no cash money account would be allowed.

The State gets wise to these type of operation and puts them under a tight Radar. Therefore their is a big risk of Losing a Certification should the state find an I undotted. There is a huge Risk to Reward factor here.

Landscape Poet
07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
IMHO You are both expressing the Ideal and Philosophy of real businessmen who markets them self, Not Yard Boys. Idea of full service is also providing Information of other providers. You want a relationship with the Customer were they come to you first for any needed service. They need a Plumber and good old Joe who you drink coffee with every morning at the Circle K is super happy for an other job. BTW Joe the plumber MIGHT send you back a customer. But what are the Business clubs CARD EXCHANGE FOR but the same thing. BTW you want a Pesticide company that isn't going to blame you for problem. You need one that works with you.

Yard Boys on the other hand are jealous someone is going to make more money than they do, or Steal their customer. They end up tiring to be a jack of all trades and lose money or time because they mess up.

Do what you do best and leave the rest. you will make more money with less hassles by specializing and being the best in one or two things than being the worst in everything.

Just picked up a 5 pallet install today from the very kind of relationship you are talking about Ric. A local handy man put me in touch with one of his clients that needed sod work done. It worked out great not only because I got nailed with rain this afternoon, enough to stop services, but because the clients had some irrigation issues. The scope of work that needed to be done was well beyond replacing a head or nozzle service that I will offer. Come to find out that they just starting using my L & O company and did not know they had a irrigation division.

So at the end of the day....a handy man service that I refer got me a 5 pallet of install and keeps his clients happy, the L & O company I refer is getting a irrigation job, a division they are growing like crazy, the sod will be installed for me at a great profit from a crew that I learned of from my L & O company owner......not bad for a rainy afternoon and it is all from good networking. The "circle of business" you might say with Lion King theme song playing in the background lightly. :laugh:

Ric
07-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Just picked up a 5 pallet install today from the very kind of relationship you are talking about Ric. A local handy man put me in touch with one of his clients that needed sod work done. It worked out great not only because I got nailed with rain this afternoon, enough to stop services, but because the clients had some irrigation issues. The scope of work that needed to be done was well beyond replacing a head or nozzle service that I will offer. Come to find out that they just starting using my L & O company and did not know they had a irrigation division.

So at the end of the day....a handy man service that I refer got me a 5 pallet of install and keeps his clients happy, the L & O company I refer is getting a irrigation job, a division they are growing like crazy, the sod will be installed for me at a great profit from a crew that I learned of from my L & O company owner......not bad for a rainy afternoon and it is all from good networking. The "circle of business" you might say with Lion King theme song playing in the background lightly. :laugh:

Darn Mikey

You just might grow up to be a businessman someday.

Landscape Poet
07-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Darn Mikey

You just might grow up to be a businessman someday.

I just might, business growth has not been a issue recently, figuring out how large I want to grow is the issue, every step seems to lead to more risk, less profit and more headaches....ROI is diminished drastically each step it appears. I am eager to grow but need to figure out how to do it in manner which make it worth it.

fl-landscapes
07-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I just might, business growth has not been a issue recently, figuring out how large I want to grow is the issue, every step seems to lead to more risk, less profit and more headaches....ROI is diminished drastically each step it appears. I am eager to grow but need to figure out how to do it in manner which make it worth it.

It's called the law of diminishing returns. Un avoidable. But remember twenty percent profit on a million dollar operation puts more in your pocket than fifty percent of o two hundred thousand dollar business. Bigger equals potential more dollars and more headaches smaller less headaches more back aches. I know exactly where your coming from though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-07-2011, 09:31 PM
It's called the law of diminishing returns. Un avoidable. But remember twenty percent profit on a million dollar operation puts more in your pocket than fifty percent of o two hundred thousand dollar business. Bigger equals potential more dollars and more headaches smaller less headaches more back aches. I know exactly where your coming from though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have been both places. I alway said small size small problem. But now I am learning big Back aches. That why I only work a few hours each day.

lawnguy26
07-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Nothing! New customers ask me all the time if I offer discounts for referrals and the answer is no. The way I see it, if you feel the need to refer me to somebody then you are putting your trust in me. If you trust me then I'm doing my job right. Why should I lose money for doing my job right? But I'm also a small one man operation without the need for considerable growth.

Landscape Poet
07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Nothing! New customers ask me all the time if I offer discounts for referrals and the answer is no. The way I see it, if you feel the need to refer me to somebody then you are putting your trust in me. If you trust me then I'm doing my job right. Why should I lose money for doing my job right? But I'm also a small one man operation without the need for considerable growth.

Valid point for sure. I think I stated my main objective is to have the clients lawn look as nice as possible and lawns filled with sedge or grabgrass or big holes because of chinch bug damage do not really have the appearance I am hoping to catch other neighbors eye with and lets face it.....a good portion of home owners do not know that there is balance of practices and services to make the lawn look good, what they do know is that they see my equipment on the lawn every week and you maybe once a month if not longer. So what you guys do just enhances what I do - so I want a good applicator and the kickback is just a bonus.

nickyd
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Im a available c.po not currently operating ,sold a buisness 9 months ago.I can possibly help someone get into spraying, its great if mowing already,you have your clients trust and already almost a sure thing to upsell them a pest and fertilization program along with there maintenance.

fl-landscapes
08-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Im a available c.po not currently operating ,sold a buisness 9 months ago.I can possibly help someone get into spraying, its great if mowing already,you have your clients trust and already almost a sure thing to upsell them a pest and fertilization program along with there maintenance.

What company did you own before you sold out?

nickyd
08-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Nicky D,s property Management

Ric
08-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Nicky D,s property Management

Nick

New Port Richie is just north of Tampa I believe. I would think you could do very well running a Business/SCHOOL to train several guys at the same time. Not everyone can afford or wants to afford to hire a Full time CPO as per the Law, But they could or might be more willing to share the cost. What I am thinking of is a modified Rent A License where all the Paper work is legal and you actually train LCO who already as you said have a horizontal market where PC could be a vertical up sell.

Now the way it would have to be set for legal reasons, is as your business with the trainee spray tech as your part time employee and their own full time employee. This is legal as I am sure you know. They could also be a Percentage Owner of the PC business Etc and have BOTH COMPANIES SIGNS ON TRUCKS AND TRAILERS. The Money could also be divided by a set fee each month no matter how much they bill instead of a percentage. This would encourage them to keep all accounts on the books and legal. It also give a set cost of Doing pest control and a opportunity to make a lot of money while still learning.

Fact is I am looking into doing something like that, But I am not getting enough interested parties to make it worth doing. I need like 4 more sharp guys to make it work for me.

nickyd
08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
shoot me a email at lawnmaster17@yahoo.com with your phone number,I can go into more detail there