PDA

View Full Version : routing - do you schedule by dollars or square feet?

Efficiency
07-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Just wondering as Im always open to knowing if there is a better way; when you are printing invoices for a given day, do you schedule it based on dollars to be produced or do you add a given number of square feet?

Personally, I route based on dollars. When I schedule residential only, the days are $xxx or just a smidgen more. Usually those days are done by 4-5pm. When there are commercial accounts, those get done afterwards and are in addition to the scheduled dollars.

Using real green makes it easy to route this way. Pull invoices for all clients w a given round, send them all to the map, and print a grouping of localized clients that sum my dollar target.

How do you all do it? Is there a better way?

sprayboy
07-03-2011, 10:15 AM
By area.......the less driving the better.
The dollars are there so it doesn't matter when you do them.
I'm more about getting the most lawns done when i'm out so driving times eats up production time.
Keep routes as tight as possible.

rcreech
07-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Just wondering as Im always open to knowing if there is a better way; when you are printing invoices for a given day, do you schedule it based on dollars to be produced or do you add a given number of square feet?

Personally, I route based on dollars. When I schedule residential only, the days are $xxx or just a smidgen more. Usually those days are done by 4-5pm. When there are commercial accounts, those get done afterwards and are in addition to the scheduled dollars.

Using real green makes it easy to route this way. Pull invoices for all clients w a given round, send them all to the map, and print a grouping of localized clients that sum my dollar target.

How do you all do it? Is there a better way?

I agree that Real Green is the ticket!

Just got the mapping this year and wished I would have had it 3 years ago as I spent a ton of time routing them by hand after printing out of Real Green. :cry:

I typically print off by the amount of stops and sq ft. I guess $$$$ comes into play but I don't care if they do 12 lawns or 25 lawns.

We have days where our box truck can hit over 2 grand in less then 8-10 stops.

Then I will have another truck come in and to 25 lawns and barely hit $1200.

I think that the size has to come into play...but I ALWAYS print off more then they can do just in case they have to skip a couple or end up getting more done then I thought they could!

Efficiency
07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Terry, agreed with minimizing drive time for sure.

I guess what Im saying is that I look to add (for sake of discussion - fictitious number) $500 to each route for each day. So, I will select however many accounts in the smallest geographic area I can to reach that goal. If that is 20 accounts in one neighborhood, thats what it will be. Then the next day, we will come back for the other 6 in the same 'hood for example and add that to another 25 in an adjoining 'hood for the following day, again always trying to hit the ($500) dollar volume I need.

Rod, not sure how you ever used SA w/out mapping. Its the cats meow.

What I was wondering is do we all try to schedule a dollar volume say $800 for example or do we all schedule 200k sq ft for a given day. And yes, 4 50k sq ft stops will produce a lot less $$$ than 20 10k sq ft stops.

rcreech
07-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Looking back...being cheap and not using the Mapping portion cost me a lot of time and money!!!!

Agree that keeping drive time down and being efficient is the key

They all gotta be done they just need to be done in the right order

The $$$$ will come no matter what
:)
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
07-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I always routed my stops in the winter slow time, using a paper map. Red dots for each job and a pencil line to connect them. Erase and change as needed. I always worked fathest stop west to farthest east. Of course, I tried to reduce total driving time. I tried to avoid left turns in heavy traffic areas. Wherever we left off Monday night--that is where we started on Tuesday morning. Every year we arrived on about the same date. Service calls and new estimates disrupted the pattern somewhat.