PDA

View Full Version : Help on an odd situation

Envy Lawn Service
10-20-2002, 04:31 PM
I did a lawn renovation yesterday in expectations of getting some rain today. I told the clients if it did not rain I would come by today and set up sprinklers.

Well, it didn't rain. When I went by I found a note asking if I would core aerate again tomorrow since I would be sprinkling today. And what the cost would be just for that.

The lawn did not core very well. Only about an inch deep. They didn't do any watering prep for me. I explained that to them and just left it at that.

I can understand them wanting a better coring job. But I have never done this right after seeding. Should I tell them no???

Guido
10-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Do they want it cored again because you didn't do a good job? Thats what it sounds like, but then you made it sound like they would pay you AGAIN for the job?

I'm confused. I didn't mean YOU personally didn't do a good job, I meant the Aeration didn't go as good as you wanted it to.

I wouldn't do it unless you plan on seeding again.

What are they're reasons for having you do it again? Have you talked with them, or just the note?

Envy Lawn Service
10-20-2002, 05:24 PM
Guido,

The coring didn't go as good as I wanted it to because they didn't water the lawn like I asked them to. A good slow soaking earlier in the week would have made things go much better.

They do not generally pay for and get regular aeration. The soil is very hard and was when I did the coring. I had eight 8" block piled on my little 32" core aerator hoping to just get any little bit of coring.

On average it only went an inch deep. I think it broke things up ok considering I went over it several times. I explained why it didn't go as well as I wanted it too and they understood. They were also thankfull that I didn't charge for the extra time I spend trying to make a good thing out of a lost cause.

I think it will be fine and is better off left alone. I guess they were just doing some homeowner brain storming about the fact that it was going to be watered today and would be softer for another coring on Monday. They didn't take into account that the seed I put out yesterday would be disrupted.

captdevo
10-20-2002, 05:50 PM
if you averaged 1", it should be fine.

now the key is irrigation!

Envy Lawn Service
10-20-2002, 06:44 PM
captdevo,

I think it's fine too. The top 1" was plenty soft after irrigation. This should be fine for the seeding and fertilize.

When I can get a chance to speak with them, I'll just explain this to them and try to get them on a regular aeration program. I don't want to do this again after having just seeded.

Homeowners :confused:

Brickman
10-20-2002, 07:21 PM
Agree, let the grass start to grow. Another aeration now would do more damage than good in my opinion.

Piedmont Lawn
10-20-2002, 11:10 PM
ELS,

What kind of blocks are your using ? I tried regular Lightweight building blocks and they are too light. I put 10 cement cap blocks (don't know how much they weigh) on my 48" plugger and I can pull 2" and 2 1/2" plugs on my red Catawba Co. clay several days after a good rain (when we get some)

You need to put some weight on that pulgger stack them If you have to 150/250 Lbs, or more!

Hope this helps!

Kelly

Tony Harrell
10-21-2002, 06:57 AM
I've seen guys using those large blue kerosene containers (hopefully filled with water) on their pull behind aerators. I think they had 4-6 of them on there. At 5 gallons each, it would be substantial down force. About 8 lbs per gallon? Let's average, 5(containers) x 5(gallons) = 40(gallons) x8(lbs per gallon) = approx 320 lbs not counting the weight of the aerator. Or you could get a fat chick to ride on the back.

jeffex
10-21-2002, 07:10 AM
You should have noticed the ground was too hard and the cores were too shallow on your first pass with the aerator. You could have left them a note requesting the lawn be watered as you recomended and re-scheduled the service. It would be fair to add a small charge for having to show up twice. Once you kept going the decision was yours. Water the lawn. Aerate again. Lesson learned. If they will pay for second aeration then you luck out.

Gravely_Man
10-21-2002, 01:40 PM
1" penetration is not the best but it is better then nothing. If the ground was too hard/dry to aerate I would not have even have started doing the job. I would just make a mental note to discuss what will be needed by the customer in the future to prevent this from happening again.

Gravely_Man

Envy Lawn Service
10-21-2002, 06:49 PM
I gave the customer instructions on what was expected of them as far as prep for aeration is conserned. When I arrived, I knew it wasn't going to go so well. I made one pass for reference and then stopped to speak to the client about it.

I showed them the situation and explained that since they didn't do as I asked, that the coring wasn't going to be as deep as I would like it to be.

They had no problem with it and wanted me just to do the best I could and get the renovation done. So, I went ahead with things.

They were happy with the job because they knew I did more work than I charged for. I didn't go back to core again today. I explained we would just have to wait and work together correctly on things next time.

Oh, by the way! We've had sweet sweet rain lastnight and today!!! I couldn't have picked a better time for the job! :D

Arnold
10-22-2002, 02:05 AM
! inch should be just fine for now I would offer to do it again when the grass is up if there going to pay you again

Envy Lawn Service
10-22-2002, 03:14 AM
Arnold,

That is exactly what I plan to do. Wait until later. Yes they will pay me to do it again. They understand that it didn't do so well because they didn't do what they were supposed to do. They know I did my best anyway and they would have probably never even know the difference if I hadn't told them it wasn't quite good enough.