PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander Review

RLS24
07-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Well I've put 50 hours on my new Wright Stander, so I figured I'd write up a review that might help people who are considering one.

What I Was Replacing
I had a 2004 Lesco 54" floating deck Hydro WB with a velke, 19hp Kawasaki. It had lower hours on it, but it was starting to be a nickle and dime machine and wasnt very maneuverable for some of the smaller lawns I was doing.

Other Machines I Looked At
The only other stand-on style mower that I REALLY considered was the Gravely ProStance. I visited a Gravely dealer that a friend recommended, and it was always really had to get ahold of them, I'd talk to someone different everytime I called,a in just in the process of going there and demoing one, I was handed over to about 3 or 4 different sales people. That was kind of a turn off right there. I also really didnt like the machine for various reasons. The Gravely was significantly cheaper than the Wright or any other stand on model, and theres a reason for that, we'll just leave it at that. The Toro Grandstand and the Scag V-Ride were out of the question, the Toro dealer around here is a dick and the Scag was out of my price range.

Wright Dealer Experience
I guess this only applies more to local people, but I felt it would be good to include it anyway. I dealt with Wegman Motor Works, right here in town. They are the only Wright dealer around here, and conveniently about 10 min from my house. Now, from talking to other people, I have heard a lot of bad experiences with that place, but after dealing with them I can't believe anyone would have anything bad to say about them. I dealt with wither Dave (the owner) or his son Kyle every time I have been there. When I first walked in I talked to Dave and he helped me and took care of me every step of the way from showing me the machine, to demoing it, taking care of the financing, to prepping it for delivery to loading it on my trailer. I have had a couple minor issues with it since I purchased it and whenever I had tot ake it back they would stop whatever else they were doing and took care of it on the spot. They were always very apologetic for it being an inconvenience even thought I kept saying it was ok I understood and I wasnt mad at all. As of right now I have no intentions to go to another dealer because I am so happy with the service they offer there.

Price
As stated before, this is a 2011 model, 48" Stander with the 24hp Kawasaki FX691V. This was the only one they had in stock at the time. For whatever reason they couldnt move it. They had a lot of 52" Standers in stock, and that seems to be the most popular mower around here period. I didnt settle for a 48" thats what I wanted because I knew I could get it into more places than the 54" deck I was getting rid of. I had previously called around to a couple other Wright dealers that were father away just to get a ballpark idea on price for this same model. Without even wheeling and dealing Dave threw a number out there of just under $7400. I tried to get him to throw the bagger in there for free, which he couldnt but he did give me $100 off on it which brought it down to $99, add in the $150 finance fee from the bank and NY's lovely 8.75% sales tax and I made it out of there at about $8400. Again, based on other prices I was getting in my area, that was a good deal. Verry good deal....

Initial Impressions
The first time I drove the ting, I thought I was going to kill myself! It was so fast, agile and responsive compared to what I was used to. I also couldnt get over how compact the machine was. I really felt comfortable on the machine, the controls are at the right spot so I dont feel like I have to reach for anything, I end up standing in more of an upright position and mot leaning really forward (Gravely). The suspension in the platform is also great, and its adjustable as well. The only real complaint I could come up with is the throttle and the choke are kind of in a bad spot, but theres REALLY nowhere else to put them, and its not like they are controls that are constantly being used, so its ok. Its really good on hills, that took a while to get used to. Theres a few spots where I'd always bail off the velke on my old mower and just walk behind it, but I cant really do that on the stander so once I got used to how I had to lean to keep my own balance, theres no problems and the thing holds hills REALLY well actually. It does really well in the wet too. For as heavy as it is, the weight is distributed very well and keeps rutting soft lawns to a minimum.

Cut Quality
At first I was a little disappointed with the cut. The mower would leave a lot of "mowhawks" in the lawns and seemed to get clogged up a lot even when not bagging. HOWEVER, I had to remind myself that we have had the wettest spring on record, and for the first month that I was using the mower the grass was always really wet, VERY VERY tall and really thick. In the last month and a half since things have dried out and the lawns are under "normal" conditions, the thing cuts and stripes amazing. I can go full speed and it doesnt miss a blade of grass. Clipping dispersal is great with the deflector in the up position, and it bags really well too.

Problems
I've really only had 2 problems that I needed to take it back to the dealer for. The first is that after a few days of cutting, the gas tank started to suck in. These newer mowers have an evap canister system like you'd find on a car rather than just a breather on the gas cap. I took it back in and the replaced the breather valve in the tank (again, great service from Wegmans). Apparently the issue with that was that the engineer who designed it made it so that if it gets wet with gas, it wont work....and it goes IN the gas tank....but hey it probably looked GREAT on his computer screen, right? The other issue, and this still hasnt been resolved, is that it backfires. I always shut my stuff down at low throttle. I noticed when I was doing that, it would backfire. Like a really delayed backfire, sometimes up to 10 seconds after shutting down. The dealer said that I was not the only one with this problem and they are working with Wright on a fix. They believe it to be an issue with the muffler. The temporary fix is to shut it down at 3/4 - full throttle. I'm not too crazy about that, but since I've been doing that it doesnt backfire. Based on the service I have been getting, I'm sure that when they do come up with a fix or if theres any other problems linked to this, I will be taken care of no problems so I'm not too concerned about it.

Overall
I'm really happy with this mower, as much as I hate to have had to finance it, it is totally worth it and theres no way I could be as productive as I am without it. Unless someone comes out with something better than the Wright, I really have no intentions of going elsewhere. Its a great machine, and I think theres a LOT of reasons you see them on trailers all over around my area. They arent kidding when they say "its the Wright way to mow!" I'm already planning to purchase a second one as soon as I pay this one off.

Aaronnc
07-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the review, really appreciate it. I am toying with the idea of downsizing the 60" ZTR to a 40ish-50ish Stander at the end of the season. (Maybe a 50ish ZTR, dunno yet.) We'll see. Thanks for the info.

Could you possibly comment specifically on why you didn't like the Gravely? I know you get what you pay for, but that's like a 1500.00 difference. That's a lot of coin. The price just looks super attractive.

Thanks again.

RLS24
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the review, really appreciate it. I am toying with the idea of downsizing the 60" ZTR to a 40ish-50ish Stander at the end of the season. (Maybe a 50ish ZTR, dunno yet.) We'll see. Thanks for the info.

Could you possibly comment specifically on why you didn't like the Gravely? I know you get what you pay for, but that's like a 1500.00 difference. That's a lot of coin. The price just looks super attractive.

Thanks again.

It seemed like you really had to lean forward a lot more and it wasnt as comfortable to me. I didnt really like the design of the deck, particularly the very small chute opening. No way you're going to tell me large volumes of wet heavy grass are going to fly through that and not clump. One of the major design features of the Wright that was also a huge selling point to me was the location of the operator platform in relation to the wheels. With the Wright, you're feet are right in line with the rear tires, the Gravely you're actually standing in front of them. I think this has a LOT to do with the ride and handling of the mower. From what I understand, Wright has patents on a lot of these design features, so no one else can use them. Wright put a lot of time and engineering into these things and built this mower the right way (no pun intended). I believe the first Stander rolled off the assembly line in 1997, and really not much has changed about them since then, and they continue to run all over the market with them. That should say something right there. I also did not like the single lever configuration of the Gravely controls. The Wright has a set of levers for forward motion and a set for reverse motion (if you look at it, both sets make a V shape under the dash and act off the same pivot point) and then theres a permanent bar in the middle for hand support. It sounds like its more complicated, but once you use it and then demo a mower than doesnt have that, you dont know what to do with yourself haha. The dealer I bought the Wright from is also a Gravely dealer actually, and he said they sell a lot of ZTR mowers from them, but they usually only order in 1 or 2 ProStance mowers just to have on the floor so people can compare it with the Wright and see that the Wright is a better machine.

ed2hess
07-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Gas tank straps are toooo darn tight and that is what shrinks in the sides or at least that is what happened on my two. Happens on all plastic tanks. Shut it off at full throttle and move on.

mowerbrad
07-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I too found that the throttle and choke were both positioned in very poor spots on the wrights, I just couldn't get used to it though. The people who run wrights that I have talked to (not many in my area) say that they are located in great spots (but they've used the machines for a while).

Aaronnc
07-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Probably will be looking into them at the end of the season. Again, thanks for the review.

Angelo585
07-27-2011, 09:28 PM
I dealt with Wegman Motor Works, right here in town. They are the only Wright dealer around here, and conveniently about 10 min from my house. Now, from talking to other people, I have heard a lot of bad experiences with that place, but after dealing with them I can't believe anyone would have anything bad to say about them. I dealt with wither Dave (the owner) or his son Kyle every time I have been there.

Sorry to hijack, but....

They are the best and biggest Wright dealer in this area, I traveled from Rochester cause their prices were so good and bought 3 52" Wright's from him!

Dave and Kyle ROCK!!! best customer service I have ever had!!!!

RLS24
07-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hijack, but....

They are the best and biggest Wright dealer in this area, I traveled from Rochester cause their prices were so good and bought 3 52" Wright's from him!

Dave and Kyle ROCK!!! best customer service I have ever had!!!!

Glad to hear someone else has had a good experience there! I have actually started to replace my 2-cycle stuff with RedMax just because thats what they carry.

Angelo585
07-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Glad to hear someone else has had a good experience there! I have actually started to replace my 2-cycle stuff with RedMax just because thats what they carry.

Their prices are actually better than the Wright seasonal buying discount, and the Red Max prices are better than i have seen around here, they work on so much volume that they can give great prices.... for me it is worth the hour trip up there...

tacoma200
07-29-2011, 11:48 PM
I found them to be much worse on Hills than the Turf Tiger or New Lazer. Only going up a hill were they better. This excludes the ZK version which was about equal to the two ZTR's mentioned. Just my opinion after running for a few weeks. Nice machines other than that for small lots.

RLS24
08-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I found them to be much worse on Hills than the Turf Tiger or New Lazer. Only going up a hill were they better. This excludes the ZK version which was about equal to the two ZTR's mentioned. Just my opinion after running for a few weeks. Nice machines other than that for small lots.

I dont really do much with hills here, theres one spot on 1 lawn that is on a hill and I have to turn on it (I'll have to get a pic its hard to explain) and it gets a little hairy but I think any mower in that spot would be tough. A couple other properties I service have some small berms on them and it seems to do fine. Just gotta shift your body weight a little bit but it sure is better than the hydro WB with the sulky on it thats for sure!

grassman177
08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
we have one of those models and many more before it. do they still have the bolt in front baffle? if so, we took ours off due to clogging decks, so much i could not mow even one lawn. it has always been that way, they took the same deck, and made a baffle in it. too closed off for cool season grasses in spring for sure.

RLS24
08-15-2011, 08:34 PM
we have one of those models and many more before it. do they still have the bolt in front baffle? if so, we took ours off due to clogging decks, so much i could not mow even one lawn. it has always been that way, they took the same deck, and made a baffle in it. too closed off for cool season grasses in spring for sure.

Yeah it has a baffle there, I didnt know it just bolted on? was there any negative effects to taking it off? I might do that because I did have some clogging issues in thick wet grass.

RLS24
09-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I hit 250 hours on the Stander this week, so I figure now would be a good time to update my review:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/MikeRi24/Untitled-2.jpg

I am still extremely happy with this mower. I went back and read my original review, and looking at my initial complaints about a few things, most of them have been resolved one way or another:

PREVIOUS ISSUES
-The cut quality with leaving "mowhawks" and clumping really bad in thick wt grass is still somewhat of a problem, but I found that using a set of the G3 Gator blades instead of the regular high-lifts pretty much takes care of both of those issues. I really don't notice much of a difference in the striping or the suction power of the mower between the 2 sets of blades, but I do notice that that the Gators chop the grass up finer leaving a much better appearance when discharging the clippings. The high lifts MIGHT pack the bagger a little better, but nothing that I can say is drastically noticeable.

-The issue with the the gas tank sucking in due to a bad evap purge valve was fixed as mentioned above, and has not been an issue since

-The issue with the backfiring when shitting off at low throttle has still not been resolved. I got in writing from the dealer to shut it off at full or half throttle, and thats what I've been doing.

-I believe I mentioned somewhere about the controls being rather "sticky." I know others on this forum have complained about this as well. Since this was my first Stander, I didn't really know what they were talking about until last summer when we purchased another stander, this one an OLDER one. After using that, I understand what people meant about the newer ones being "sticky" but also after using the older one the pros of the many new features on the newer one vastly outweigh the sticky controls. Over time, I guess they have loosened up a little bit, but again, this doesnt really bother me much.

NEW ISSUES
-About a month ago, I noticed that when the gas tank was full, gas would leak out of the cap when the mower was moving and the gas in the tank was sloshing around. The old cap was an automotive style non-vented one (thats what the evap system is for, right?) where you couldnt over tighten it because it would "click" when it was tight. The dealer replaced it with a more traditional vented cap. Whether this makes the whole evap system redundant or not, I don't know but I also don't really care because my tank doesnt leak anymore.

-At 250 hours, this thing needs a new set of rear tires. Horribly, in fact, they are EXTREMELY bald! I've never owned a zero-turn style mower before this one, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I feel like I should be getting more life out of a set of tires though, I'm not really happy about this one.

PROS
You can't argue with the size of the mower. Put this up against any other stand-on mower and its the smallest one out there. Takes up less room on the trailer and makes it far more maneuverable on tight properties. The speed is also excellent. The machine is balanced very well, it does not rut up lawns at all. I can take the mower over soft ground and not even realize its soft until I got back on foot to trim and my boot leaves a huge divot in the ground. I think the mower does a pretty good job of striping too. Theres a lot of guys around here that have Walkers and Scags and although I can tell right away lawns that were done with a Walker, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Wright can hold its own in the striping game. Yes, there may be a little more effort involved in getting it to stripe that good, but its there.

CONS
I hear good things about this new Aero-Core deck they have, and I wish I could have waited another year to buy one with that deck. The deck is the biggest downfall of the mower. It just doesn't do a good job of cutting tall thick grass and MOVING it OUT of the deck. It's not the worst, but its also not the best. It traps a lot of grass under the deck, and it seems to build up on the baffles and build up between the blades so it makes it even more difficult to get the grass out of the deck. I guess you could consider the so-called "sticky" controls a con, because sometimes that little bit of stick will result in a bad zero turn and leave a divot in the lawn but I try to do more of a 3-point turn if possible. The only other complaint I have, and this isn't even really Wright's problem, is the fuel usage. Holy hell does this thing go through gas!

OVERALL
At the end of the day, I really can't say anything bad about the Wright. It does everything I want in a mower for the most part. Like I said, my biggest complaint is the deck. I was VERY skeptical at first about paying $8,400 for a mower, but now that I've had it for almost 2 full seasons, theres no way I could ever do the amount of work that I do without this thing. It's been a great machine so far, and I would recommend Wright to anyone thats looking at a stand-on mower. It truly is "the Wright way to mow"

Florida Gardener
09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
I totally agree with the deck. It is the only downfall, but not a deal breaker. Wright needs to put that aero core on all size decks. I have 400 hours on mine with plenty of tread left in the tires....
Posted via Mobile Device

Scott.Oz
09-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Ive found the Scag V-Rides so much better than the Wrights in terms of comfort and cut quality. My 52" V-ride with the Hurricane mulch kit is the best machine Ive ever had!

RLS24
09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I totally agree with the deck. It is the only downfall, but not a deal breaker. Wright needs to put that aero core on all size decks. I have 400 hours on mine with plenty of tread left in the tires....
Posted via Mobile Device

really?? mine are down to the wear bars! I have heard that people get crappy tire life if you spend a lot of time driving on paved surfaces because it eats up at the soft tire compound. But all mine does is go on and off the trailer and right to the lawn....I'm gonna have to check in with the dealer and see what they say people are getting out of a set.

Florida Gardener
09-25-2012, 09:45 PM
really?? mine are down to the wear bars! I have heard that people get crappy tire life if you spend a lot of time driving on paved surfaces because it eats up at the soft tire compound. But all mine does is go on and off the trailer and right to the lawn....I'm gonna have to check in with the dealer and see what they say people are getting out of a set.
Yea mine aren't even close to that point...Lmk what you find out...
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
09-25-2012, 10:04 PM
one thing i wanted to say after reading this was the initial decision on which mower to buy, the wright or gravely...gravely's old pro stance sucks balls, plain and simple, so no comparison there...not to get it confused with their new one, that one looks awesome...i used to hate the wright's because all of the cheap asses around Kansas City had them, and it was always the cheapest wrights they could find, always really rough looking...these are also the companies that underbid me, so, you can see why i hated wright...within the last year i've looked at a few, have really liked what they have come out with in the last couple of years with their newer more comfortable platforms, better decks, faster hydros, floating decks, etc...our next mowers were between wright and toro, but it looks like now that wright is manufacturing for JD we will prob go that route since we have a great JD dealer in town and the other two are out of town...now i will say this, i haven't tried a v ride, but the toro's and wrights are very similar, especially on hillside stability, i couldn't tell which one was better...as of right now, i like the toro platform and controls better, but that might be because i'm used to the toro, i like the bail out option better than the wright...it also makes the toro longer tho, so it's give and take

WJC
09-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I would talk to Wright and see if they have an improved baffle design for your mower. I have a 52" Wright with the old deck, and I modified the baffle to make it flow better. Here's the thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=361984

I also have a 52" with the new deck and it will cut thick grass better then the old deck, but it also has more HP. Both decks will still pack Crabgrass under there, but they dont clog up and start spitting chunks out like the old deck did before the mods. If its all grass with no crabgrass or weeds then there both fine. The bottom line is that I improved the old deck quite a bit, but its still still not quite as good as the aero core deck.

As far as tires mine have very little wear after 200 hrs. on the newer mower.

skeller257
09-26-2012, 06:54 AM
I've been looking at the Wright with the 52 Aero Core Deck. Does anyone use a mulching kit with theirs and how has it worked out for you in all grass cutting situations?

Florida Gardener
09-27-2012, 09:09 PM
Looked at the tires in my stander today. At 404 hours, they still have plenty of life in them...something must be up with yours...
Posted via Mobile Device

RLS24
12-30-2012, 01:11 PM
My dealer said between 200-400 hours is about normal wear on the Stander tires. With about a week to go in leaf season, I ran over something and completely gashed the sidewall, so I'm gonna need a new one now anyway lol.

As mentioned earlier, I wish I had waited and got the aero core deck but I was kind of in a bind at the time. Here are some pics of cut quality:

this shows about the height and quality of grass I'm dealing with. Not a manicured lawn, but not a weed field either. Pretty mediocre for lawns around here.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/MikeRi24/B9C6F1CB-4A3C-4299-B7F3-9CC3CC0575B0-18542-000018652D13726C.jpg

RLS24
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
SINGLE CUT, NOT BAGGED
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/MikeRi24/D1218344-9DC9-4A2D-9723-F37324D18494-18542-0000186536AC62F3.jpg

SINGLE CUT, BAGGED
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/MikeRi24/10884F4F-FC15-435D-8F67-5A0E112A43A4-18542-0000186552A42124.jpg

DOUBLE CUT, NOT BAGGED
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/MikeRi24/F40EA982-788C-4D42-AF1E-E1A5B71A8D95-18542-00001865414A24CA.jpg

DOUBLE CUT, BAGGED
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/MikeRi24/landscapingjune007.jpg

Florida Gardener
12-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I dunno dude...200-400 hours seems low. I got 420 on my stander and can probably get another 200 from the tires....
Posted via Mobile Device

Exmarkboy13
01-16-2014, 10:44 PM
Hows the serviceability and fuel economy on the stander? Is it a low cost machine to operate? How easy is it for new hires to get the hang of. My guys have trouble getting ahang of the hydro walk behinds, but I just love how low cost they are to operate! Any opinion ?