PDA

View Full Version : Changing hydro fluid

BOTURF
10-20-2002, 08:06 PM
I always had my dealer change hydro fluid , but to save bucks i will do it myself this year . What or how can you keep air out of system and what if you get air in system how do you get it out . Is there anything else special i need to know about changing the fluid ?

Green Pastures
10-20-2002, 08:24 PM
I have let my dealer change Hydro fluid too just because of these "air in the lines" horror stories I have heard. I figured I saved enough $$ doing the oil myself. Boy one mistake and a blown Hydro pump later, I think I'll continue to let my dealer do it. Seems to me it only really has to be done once a season anyway, unless youre really running your equipment all day every day.

What's the scoop on this guy's, I know there are bleed valves on my Toro's, is it similar to bleeding brakes?

Scott

Ryan Lightning
10-21-2002, 01:51 AM
I was going to change the hydo fluid on my TTHP tomorrow, but now I have to think about it? I like to work on my own stuff, and if I learn to do it right, it will always be done right. If I let the dealer do it and he screws it up and a something goes wrong days later, I would be stuck with the repair bill? Really how offten does a problem happen from changing the hydro fluid?

Premo Services
10-21-2002, 02:28 AM
I was going to change the hydo fluid on my TTHP tomorrow, but now I have to think about it? I like to work on my own stuff, and if I learn to do it right, it will always be done right. If I let the dealer do it and he screws it up and a something goes wrong days later, I would be stuck with the repair bill? Really how offten does a problem happen from changing the hydro fluid?

I have the tthp, a lazer hp and have changed the fluid without any problems, just follow the directions in the manual.

longviewlawncare
10-21-2002, 05:37 AM
we change hydro fuild at the golf course with no problems at all. The time when we have problems with getting air in the lines is when we replace a hose or pump etc.

Gravely_Man
10-21-2002, 12:11 PM
I agree. Just go with the manual and you will be fine. If you have a question ask before doing. You can cause problems if you don't follow the directions exactly. The bottom line is if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself go to the dealer and have them do it but ask if you can watch and then you will be set for the next time you need to do it.

Gravely_Man

Dennis E.
10-21-2002, 05:27 PM
Like mentioned...follow the manual. One thing that I did not see mentioned that is important is to make sure you drain the pumps,if possible.
Pretty easy job.

mike9497
10-21-2002, 07:17 PM
i`ve never had any probs with changing the pump oil in my exmarks its very easy.change the filter everytime.when u screw the new filter on just screw it on until the seal just touches.fill the tank with oil and the filter should be full of oil before u put it on.once you start to see some oil come out around the filter screw the filter on all the way.get the wheels off the ground and fire it up at mid rpm in 3rd gear.if the tires are not moving shut it down and loosen the caps on the pumps wait for some oil to come out and screw them back down.fire it up again and u should be all set make sure u check the temp of the pumps with your hands make sure there not super hot.it takes about 10 to 15 mins for them to really heat up thats normal.change it once a year. remember your just taking oil out from the filter don`t drain the pumps out.i use to work for an exmark dealer for 6 years.

Dennis E.
10-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Got the E-mail,thanks.
Let me explain why I did. So as to prevent any other members from screwing up a hydro.:eek:

On my Z at the 2nd hydro oil change I wanted to go synthetic. I have a Viper ZTR. I talked to the mngr. at Lesco,who is also a good friend,and he suggested that I talk to tech.support up in Ohio.
I called and explained what I was going to do. He said changing over to synthetic was fine but to MAKE sure I drained both pumps when I did the switch. Did not ask why and I'm not questioning your mechanical skills/knowledge.
I have changed it again since then and I did not drain the pumps.
Could it have been suggested because of the switch from dino oil to synthetic?
:confused:

mike9497
10-21-2002, 09:11 PM
yes only in that case u can drain the pumps,but u can never go back to regular oil if you do you my burn out the pumps and they will burn up the oil just like switching over a car or truck same deal