PDA

View Full Version : Truck

HOOKMEUPRED
10-20-2002, 09:08 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys use a box truck instead of pick up and trailer. I don't have any place to keep equipment and I have to get a truck and a trailer. I was looking at possibly getting a truck like the Isuzu NPR w/ a lift gate. That way all I would have to do is lock it up and park it. Thanks in advance for your comments.

f350
10-20-2002, 09:13 PM
lift gates are worthless and a hassle. supreme makes a unit in various lenth's called the vanscaper. it has a beaver tail and side access doors. before you ask for a site do a search

The Lawn Choupique
10-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Anything but american made would be my vote. With an American made truck you will be lucky to keep it running long enough to make it to the job site.

Green Pastures
10-20-2002, 09:28 PM
That's a different kind of comment you'ld expect from a good southern boy.

I love my Ford F-250 and 8x24 enclosed trailer combo. I don't have to worry about it at night either. Oh and BTW it always gets me to and from EVERY jobsite. It's a 1999 with 44,000 on it and not a single problem. Change the out, rotate the tires and put gas in it.

Scott

f350
10-20-2002, 11:05 PM
well Lawn Choupique,
being from the motor city, i tend to disagree with your warped knowledge. on a bonus note, most of us BUSINESS MEN dont have to drive a 1970 ford... so with that jed, i just wanted you to know... i am dumber now, just reading your post...

Currier
10-20-2002, 11:22 PM
i am dumber now

Well... at least you admit it.

MSYardman
10-21-2002, 12:00 AM
I'm testing one Isuzu NPR right now. We've had it for six months. Frankly, the crew leader hates it. It is rough riding and he complains all the time about having to "climb" up into the box. Also, we haven't figured out where to put all the debris we normally throw into the bed of the pickups.

We have a 22' box with a 4' dovetail. The gate/ramp is mesh and has been a problem. It is too heavy. We are working on putting some kind of hydralics on it to make it easier to lift

Super Lawn Truck makes a hydralic ramp, but they are considerably more than we paid. I know because I checked them out.

I like the truck. It is a rolling billboard for our business. You can't help but notice our name and number. It is easier to drive that a pickup and trailer. Plus, it has 18' flat feet of space plus the 4' of dovetail inside the box. The ramp is too steep for our guys to walk continuously in and out. But, we are going to make it work because it is the best solution.

GMC owns Isuzu. They take the Isuzu name off the front and plaster on "GMC". Then, they drop the price a couple of thousand. I've also heard a lot of good things about Mitsubiti, but that they are a little more expensive that the Isuzu.

Good luck.

cantoo
10-21-2002, 12:12 AM
Do a search on cube vans, my pics are here somewhere. It works out real good for us. Right now we are looking for a dump trailer for leaves.

greenman
10-21-2002, 12:39 AM
I think having a box truck like the Isuzu NPR would be a neat setup. Or the Mitsubishi Fuso-look on page B6 in the Sept. issue of Turf Magazine.

mowngrow
10-21-2002, 12:49 AM
take a good look at your biz and you decide what best fits your needs. to each his own

Albemarle Lawn
10-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Our Mitsubishi-Fuso rides very nice. Plus it has 4-wheel disc brakes, Isuzu has drums in the rear.

Ours is open but the Millenium Landscape Body is enclosed, with a dove tail and assisted gate/ramp.

Wesley's Lawn
10-21-2002, 01:19 AM
Hey Lawn Choupique i owuld have to disagree with you to, I have a 1995 Ford E-350 cargo van with the power stroke in it and it has 400,000 niles on it and still gets 20 miles to the gallon and i love it, Maybe you just havent had any good luck with american cars but that happens to everyone one sometime with anything.

Wesley's Lawn :D

LAWNGODFATHER
10-21-2002, 02:26 AM
For price, and power your best bet is a Nissan UD.

Both the Mits, and Isuzu/GMC are gutless.

Grassmaster trucks makes a good enclosed bed for your truck.

Otherwise get the Superlawntruck.

Now forin vrs American price for parts.

Alt for an Isuzu is no less than $500.

Tranny is $4000

Big money when somthing breaks on these commercial duty/built trucks.

MJStrain
10-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by The Lawn Choupique
Anything but american made would be my vote. With an American made truck you will be lucky to keep it running long enough to make it to the job site.

Choose your weapon commie!:gunsfirin

:D

The Lawn Choupique
10-22-2002, 06:28 PM
I choose a 1987 Isuzu Trooper 11.

Rhett
10-22-2002, 07:00 PM
I personally choose not to smoke crack:)

heather
10-22-2002, 07:08 PM
I like my set up for cutting grass but still use the pickup for many thingks. I built it myself for less than 20,000. Truck is used. We took off the van body and built the beaver tail. Besure to get the long wheelbase and watch your gross truck weight.

Green Pastures
10-22-2002, 08:50 PM
Heather,

Whats up with your picture? Only half of it loads for me.

Scott

LAWNGODFATHER
10-22-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
Heather,

Scott

She only wants us to see the top half of the pic.:D

greenman
10-22-2002, 11:02 PM
Heather,

Scott

She only wants us to see her top half.:D

heather
10-22-2002, 11:18 PM
HA HA!

GreginAlaska
10-23-2002, 02:25 AM
Looks like she has a nice bottom half too!

:blush:

Nice set up. :angel:

The Mowerdude
10-23-2002, 07:10 AM
Heather,

Scott

Still making the payments. When it's paid for the entire pic will load. :D

just kidding, put the gun away.

Oh, wow!! by the time my response had posted, the entire pic loaded. Heather you really make payments fast!! :D

Swampbeast
10-23-2002, 01:59 PM
I have been looking into getting one of these things. I narrowed it down to either the Isuzu or the Nissan, cant decide which. I also dont know if I wanna get enclosed or open. Hmmm. Cant decide. :confused:

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 08:44 PM
I've seen a bed like that advertised for $2500 --- Trucks@Acmer air.com or 1-800-422-6322

Brickman
10-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by The Lawn Choupique
.....................................With an American made truck you will be lucky to keep it running long enough to make it to the job site.

Not even remotely close to any thing true. :dizzy: American made has been getting me to and from work for plenty of years.

Would you share what ever it is you are smoking?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 10:48 PM
No one cought his comment really means but I.

He means there are no made in the USA vehicals.

Just built in the USA. There is a lot of parts not made in the USA on them.