PDA

View Full Version : I love my job!

Green Pastures
10-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Does anyone here feel the same way I do about the lawn care business?

I just love my job! I really like coming to a job and seeing that it obviously needs mowing. It doesn't look bad, cuz I don't let my properties get bad looking, but you know it needs a mow. Then you break out the toys, er I mean mowers. I love my mowers, it's like playtoys. I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE PAY ME TO DO THIS!!!

You take your time and make it look good. Mowing a different direction each time, trimming up real good, spot spraying for weeds and clipping the hedges here and there, raking out the grey mulch to keep it brown and fresh looking. I love it. Before I leave I get to look around and immediately see the results of my hard work. It's really satisfying.

I was tinkering on my mowers on Saturday, not because they needed anything, but just cleaning battery terminals, blowing then off, getting the grass clippings, sticks and even a golf ball :dizzy: out of the crack and crevases. I even put some Armor All on the tires and seats! What a nut, but I was just enjoying giving the things that take care of me some TLC.

Thank God I've finally found something that I really enjoy doing to get paid for. Like I said before, I cant believe people pay me to do this stuff. On some of my nicest properties I would do it for free, just to be there, and the pride that comes with the way these places look.

Sorry, I'll shut up now! :rolleyes:
Scott

eslawns
10-20-2002, 09:41 PM
I completely agree. When somebody comes out with a mower that has AC this will be a perfect way to make a living. I gripe as much as most people when I have a bad day, but all in all, things are as good as I could ever hope for.

The money is good, people hardly ever give me a hard time, I work outside on nice days, and watch TV on yucky ones, and most of all... job security.

greenman
10-20-2002, 11:19 PM
I love my job, as well as my toys, too! I dont think i would go so far as to Armor All the seat and tires, though:D

Randy Scott
10-20-2002, 11:30 PM
Me too! :D

Wesley's Lawn
10-21-2002, 12:23 AM
I hear ya I love doing this and iI love the money i can' belive people actually pay us this kinda money, But it would be even better if you didnt have to deal with their BS.

Wesley's Lawn :rolleyes:

gravedigger5
10-21-2002, 12:28 AM
I know what you mean. I always try to do a good job, but real satisfaction comes when a customer recognizes your efforts and praises your work. I really enjoy the challenge of running MY own business. The other day was about the best when on this large commercial job of mine, its been kinda a PITA all year, too many chiefs not enough...., well I finally got it figured out trying to make eveybody there happy, and my bid for next year (with an increase for the PITA factor) was accepted and they said they were really happy with the way things have worked out this year.:) Really made my day! This biz has its ups and downs but I really enjoy it. Marc

Ryan Lightning
10-21-2002, 02:17 AM
I like to turn around after I leave a job, and do a drive by, just to see how sweet the lawn looks! :D

Tony Harrell
10-21-2002, 05:35 AM
You have to love this job to do it, and I do. I thought I was the only one who did drive by's. I mow a property in town, houses on either side are done by 2 different guys using homeowner stuff. They do them for $5 less than me, that's people for ya! Well, there we all were, 3 trailers lined up on the side of the street. You just know which one was striped don't you! It's my showcase lawn and it's on a corner. I've gotten some of my neighbors lawns because of it. They see me there and the job I do on it and my own lawn. I think I'm gonna change my handle to "Me and my Bob-Cat"!

stslawncare
10-21-2002, 09:27 AM
yes, i love it to, it does have its hard days and frusterating people, but it all pays off. occasionly i will do the seats and tires :-)

walker-talker
10-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
I like to turn around after I leave a job, and do a drive by, just to see how sweet the lawn looks! :D

I do the same....lol I am the type that like to see instant results, but at the same time I am not too detailed oriented. I think I enjoy even more than doing the lawn work is the business side of the venture. Learning accounting, marketing and so on. I also enjoy giving estimates....talking with people and just convincing them what I tell them is what they need...and then to see it all come together and work.

MATT

Gravely_Man
10-21-2002, 11:51 AM
This is the best job I have ever had hands down. Forget the being your own boss part for a minute and enjoy the being outside rather then sitting in a cubical as I used to be. This is the best job ever!

Gravely_Man

tailoredlook
10-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Gotta love the job or I couldn't do this very long. I especially love it when I do the landscaping or construction there. Do a drive by with a big smile on my face and say to myself hey I did this.

Tony Harrell
10-22-2002, 05:14 AM
You know, if we were jewelers we'd all be stalking newlywed brides!!!

GarPA
10-22-2002, 05:54 AM
I also love what I do...and one of the things I enjoy most is that this business is MINE...nobody can take it from me. It can be as successful as I want it to be. Yes we had a rough, hot summer....but how nice it is to work on a crisp clear fall day.

And as far as the money goes, its really pretty good if you run the biz properly. Only in the first full time year....and I would not go back to a cubicle.

hours are long, work is hard,...but the satisfaction of running your own business???......priceless!

MJStrain
10-22-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning

I've got six lawns that are on my way home from town. All are showcase quality and I always catch myself slowing up to check them out. It's especially sweet when the vehicle in front of me slows to gawk too!:)

LB Landscaping
10-22-2002, 06:06 PM
I gotta agree with Kitzy, I love working for myself. I worked for "the man" for 12 years and hated every minute of it. Even if I wake up and really don't feel like going out my attitude totally changes when I sit on my Walker and take it onto the first lawn, its like yahoo look out I'm making money!!!!

mklawnman
10-22-2002, 11:32 PM
I love my job, yes im only 19yrs old, but i already love what im doing. Alot of my friends still are unsure of what they want to do after college. Im like the only one who already knows and has a business established. They always say to me, "man its gotta be cool making your own hours" im like you got that right :cool:
Im going to school and working which is a plus. Ive always been a hands-on person, i love driving by my accounts after cutting them looking at how perfect the stripes are and how i actually did that. I agree with Green pastures, something as easy as maintaining your lawn people pay us to take care of it for them, to me this stuff is easy, i love the hard work, and the challenges it brings and all the new Toys we get to use along the way, always love showing off my Turf Tiger on the lawns, all the neighbors get impressed on how fast i can cut and stripe the lawn. Its all fun but great Money :D
Matt

rkbrown
10-23-2002, 08:52 AM
I want to echo what everyone has said on this thread. I am a part timer. In my fulltime job, it can be weeks or sometimes months before I see the results of my labor. When I'm done with a lawn, though, I like to look back and see what I have done. I will also do the drive by thing. I just finished the course that will allow me to take the exam for the irrigation license in Texas. I imagine that I will have the same feeling of satisfaction when I turn on that last zone and see those heads pop up and the water spraying.

scott's turf
10-23-2002, 11:15 AM
....to me this stuff is easy, i love the hard work, :D
Matt [/B][/QUOTE]

Well which is it? Is it easy or hard? JK, keep up the good work. I ran my business all through college and paid for it all myself and now am an engineer and run my business. It is a great mix and a nice feeling to have some stability of having your own business when so many other professionals are getting laid off.

mowngrow
10-23-2002, 04:32 PM
what's not to love. great money, great hours & a one month vacation. im home every night with job security.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!