PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an estimate

Lawn Cops
10-20-2002, 10:12 PM
I am trying to figure out a bid for the maintenance of the entrance to a new upscale ($200,000 - 400,000) neighborhood that is being developed.

The entrance is in the shape of a + with an Island in the center with a radius of 338 feet. There would be approx. 1750 ft of edging (probably with a stick edger) and there is approx 11,500 sq. ft. of fresh zoysia sod. the grass is broken up into 5 areas. with a width of anywhere from 2 ft to 14 ft. , most of it can be mowed with the 48in. walker that I am about to buy.

One benefit that I see will be that if I get this that a lot of the residents will see my work (yes the developer will let me put up a small sign show who does the maintenance) and I hope to get some more clients from that. The developer is the dad of a bly that plays on my sons baseball team and he develops a new neighborhood about every three years and I sure would like to have several of them. He also has some other contacts that he said he would get me in contact with to try to help me get some more business.

Iknow ther will be a lot of varience/ comments about not having enough info, but I have not bid on anything like this before.

Thanks

Jim
Lawn Cops

AztlanLC
10-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Well to me sounds like a 1 to 1 1/2 hours job including driving, unles it's real far away or maybe less, I'd charge the developer between $40 and $60 and tell him if you get more work the price will come down.

I had a similar situation like this before 8,000sqf grass, weed out beds, pickup papers around, I started charging $40 then I got couple of customers price went down to $35 and so on now I charge $200.00 a year but I got almost half of the complex 25 town houses.

Even if you put the sign the best is to go to every house and introduce yourself not presure just kind of drop your card try to always talk to the owner.

I did the same deal with the people living there my first price I told one lady was $30.00 mowing trimming and blowing but if got more customers the price would come down, she said sound it good when I got home 2 more people call, same place price went down to $28.00 that same day for everybody, now I charge'em $600.00 a year. It takes me about 4 hours me and other guy when the grass it's real tall and about 1 hour when it gets real dry, (mow here and there or not at all)

Currier
10-20-2002, 11:24 PM
I'd look at it and figure how long it will take you to do. Then I'd leave and come back later and think through it again.

Figure out how much you will need to make in order to have this be a profitable job. Don't be worrying about giving all kinds of price breaks and figuring on making it up with new customers. You may or may not get any new work from this job. Play this job as its own deal and work with it only....not the promise of future work.

Now, if you are comfortable with it you can talk to the developer and see what he is thinking. Maybe he has an idea of a price range? See if his range fits with your fee. If it does maybe there is something you can work with. If he is thinking dirt dog cheap then maybe this is not a golden opportunity.

Venture forward and give it a shot. Whether you win it or lose it you get to learn from it.

greenman
10-20-2002, 11:49 PM
Will there be any bed maintenance that you know of , or just the turf itself? Or is the cirlce going to be bed? Another thing to consider is, who is going to paying for the maintence. Is it going to be the developer or is going to be part of a HOA?

Lawn Cops
10-21-2002, 08:33 AM
I had about $70 in mind, figure around 1.5 hours. there are no beds, then non turf areas will be natural. For those areas, when he wants them "cleaned up" I will do it for $40.00ish per hour.

Thanks for the opinions.

Jim
Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops
10-21-2002, 08:35 AM
For now the developer will pay, later the HOA.

Jim
Lawn Cops

greenman
10-21-2002, 09:23 AM
Make sure the HOA will pay your price, sometimes they like to name their price and can be cheap. My estimate is $84 per cut. I would definitely work that it to a contract. It would probably come out to be a little cheaper per month for them, but you get the same amount.

Theres only 2 or 3 new developments that I can think of around here going up with that size of entrance. Good Luck!

Todd

Lawn Cops
10-21-2002, 02:48 PM
We'll see..... I meet with him at 3:00 to discuss one or two more things......I'm probably going to tell him $80 per week on contract/agreement.

Jim
Lawn Cops

kenneth parsons
10-21-2002, 09:19 PM
You sound like a solo operation & if so, that's fine. I'd go with $65 per hour and 4-5% annual increase written in my proposal regardless of what other customers this developer or the HOA may eventually come your way. You gotta make money too!

Get Bill Phagans Books!

greenman
10-21-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by kenneth parsons
You sound like a solo operation & if so, that's fine. I'd go with $65 per hour and 4-5% annual increase written in my proposal regardless of what other customers this developer or the HOA may eventually come your way. You gotta make money too!

Get Bill Phagans Books!

Whats wrong with being solo? If he told the contractor $65 per hour I dont think he would close the deal. Why buy Bill Phagans books?