PDA

View Full Version : Some clients you just gotta love

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Was planning for an easy day today. Had a SMALL patio to finish, grade and seed. Thought we'd be pulling off the site by 3 pm at the latest.

Client decides he wants to change 2 things. Yep, the job had a scaled design and a contract that he accepted. And we were to make the changes (which involve additional materials that we did not have) at "No charge"!!!! And how dare we build a patio like that, "it look terrible" and "I'm (the client) not happy"!

Keep in mind, this $7,000 patio took me about 45 days to sell. And countless hrs on the phone with the client fine tuning everything. Go over the proposal. AND GOING OVER THE DESIGN. EVEN REVISED THE DESIGN 1, maybe 2 times!!!

Well, the argument didn't go too well. Got to the point where we were standing with our faces about 18-inches apart. Me saying "we did this job to the contract, if you want to make changes, I'll work with you on them". And him still demanding we do more work for free! And me firmly yelling "we're going to finish this job as contracted, I'm done arguing with you, go inside and come back out when you're able to talk reasonably".

We did make one of the two changes, which at the beginning of the argument I agreed to do. Left the job at 8pm, which he came out and was much nicer and gave us each a cold beer. I don't think I've drank beer that fast since I was in my 20's! Finished unloading the truck and loading for tomorrow's job at 10:21 pm!

Way overdue for a vacation.

And some people you just gotta love :)

stuvecorp
07-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Sucks to hear, bet you are glad you are done...

But the question I have to ask - are you keeping their name on the mailing list?

amscapes03
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
The question I have to ask is...........did you get your final payment? I hate getting blind-sided like that.

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Sucks to hear, bet you are glad you are done...

But the question I have to ask - are you keeping their name on the mailing list?

HaHa! I don't know yet! He had me fired up! He mentioned from the beginning that he wants his front stoop done and a new walk next year. My feelings won't be hurt if they don't call us.

We landed the job from a flyer we hung on his door. He did not even call anyone else for prices. We recently discovered that he and I lift at the same gym. So, we'll see how things go when we run into each other there.

DVS Hardscaper
07-05-2011, 11:26 PM
The question I have to ask is...........did you get your final payment? I hate getting blind-sided like that.

Yeah, I got the final payment.

In all honesty, based on previous interactions I was suspecting he would try to pull this. Which is probably why I got so angry, as I was getting vibes as we were working there, and was expecting it.

Stillwater
07-10-2011, 02:23 AM
After a long day the last thing I want to do is lift at a gym, or say the word gym,or look at a gym.......

Murphy's Law
07-10-2011, 10:42 AM
After a long day the last thing I want to do is lift at a gym, or say the word gym,or look at a gym.......

Same here, work is my summer gym. But I in the winter I do the P90X workout. That things reminded me of double session football practices from highschool. Totally kicks your a$$.

DVS Hardscaper
07-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Yep, some days I have no energy to go.

That's what energy drink is for!

Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
07-10-2011, 08:41 PM
I can relate. I am working om 300k project now. This guy changes things everyday, I will get to the job site and there will be marking paintOn the ground pointing to move something one inch this way or turn this 2 inches this way, you get he idea. Thankfully, I knew this is how he operated so everything was bid T&M. My schedule is shot but at least I'm not losing $. Look for the project on the New Holland challenge next month. It's been pretty fun even though the client can be quite picky.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Amazing what some experience can do!

Believe me, I really enjoy working with people. Many of my customers I become friends with.

I knew there would be a problem at the end. The guy kept whining about having to pay draws. Yeah, it was a $7100 job, normally a total of 2, no more than 3 draws are submitted. But because it took so long to sell, I decided to collect 4 draws on him, including the final payment. I'm glad I did.

And I'm not boasting, but I did see the writing on the wall, and I am proud that I called it correctly.

Also, 2 years ago the owner of another forum got mad at me because my proposal lists material allotments. The owner of the other forum was angry that I would list mats allotments, instilled a fight, and banned me! LOL

Well, this was a case where the allotments statement went to work. I calculated the quantities to the t. And we used exactly what I estimated. The client wanted changes done and didn't wanna pay. He tried to twist and flip the coin every which way he could. Finally I said "look we exhausted the materials allotted in the contract, we used extra caps and I didn't charge you, anything else and you have to pay for it". He shut up real quick!

Posted via Mobile Device

amscapes03
07-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Finally I said "look we exhausted the materials allotted in the contract, we used extra caps and I didn't charge you, anything else and you have to pay for it". He shut up real quick!

Best two sentences of your story/experience! I love it!

DVS Hardscaper
07-11-2011, 10:53 PM
haha - I was fired up! Needless to say, I'm a REAL joy when a customer tries that crap

JoeyDipetro
07-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Was planning for an easy day today. Had a SMALL patio to finish, grade and seed. Thought we'd be pulling off the site by 3 pm at the latest.

Client decides he wants to change 2 things. Yep, the job had a scaled design and a contract that he accepted. And we were to make the changes (which involve additional materials that we did not have) at "No charge"!!!! And how dare we build a patio like that, "it look terrible" and "I'm (the client) not happy"!

Keep in mind, this $7,000 patio took me about 45 days to sell. And countless hrs on the phone with the client fine tuning everything. Go over the proposal. AND GOING OVER THE DESIGN. EVEN REVISED THE DESIGN 1, maybe 2 times!!!

Well, the argument didn't go too well. Got to the point where we were standing with our faces about 18-inches apart. Me saying "we did this job to the contract, if you want to make changes, I'll work with you on them". And him still demanding we do more work for free! And me firmly yelling "we're going to finish this job as contracted, I'm done arguing with you, go inside and come back out when you're able to talk reasonably".

We did make one of the two changes, which at the beginning of the argument I agreed to do. Left the job at 8pm, which he came out and was much nicer and gave us each a cold beer. I don't think I've drank beer that fast since I was in my 20's! Finished unloading the truck and loading for tomorrow's job at 10:21 pm!

Way overdue for a vacation.

And some people you just gotta love :)

I'm curious, when folks demand that you do more for free, what do you say? I would bet your agreement is as detailed as possible and you clearly set forth that which you agree to do for the stated sales price. If that is true, how do your customers talk around that?

DVS Hardscaper
07-13-2011, 12:02 PM
We almost always do something small extra for free. Customers are the bloodline to a business. I love referrals and do all I can to ensure we'll get referrals from each job. If we
Need additional materials, usually I just charge for the materials.

This particular job the client didn't ask for us to make changes, he demanded. And he done so after the gravel and pavers was
Used up, and the truck was 1/2 loaded with tools and equipment. So in this case,
He was told "no".

Most clients are reasonable and approach/speak to me
Like a friend when they want to change / add something. So it's never been an issue.

In the retail business the customer is always right. In the contracting business the contract is always
Right.
Posted via Mobile Device

YardGal
07-15-2011, 04:22 PM
I can relate. I am working om 300k project now. This guy changes things everyday, I will get to the job site and there will be marking paintOn the ground pointing to move something one inch this way or turn this 2 inches this way, you get he idea. Thankfully, I knew this is how he operated so everything was bid T&M. My schedule is shot but at least I'm not losing $. Look for the project on the New Holland challenge next month. It's been pretty fun even though the client can be quite picky.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking forward to the photos!