PDA

View Full Version : Utility Bed for Stander Mower

northwestwill
07-06-2011, 01:02 AM
I run a Great Dane Super Surfer at home and the only thing I missed was the ability to pull a small cart for lawn chores and the like... so I turned the tables and went the other direction... literally....

I built a small flat utility bed that sits on the front of the GD. It rests on the frame/deck supports at the rear and on the top of the spindles at the front of the deck. The deck adjustment handles keep the back from sliding (and they're much to heavy duty to torque out of place by the bed) and the front has two counter-sunk holes that cap the open-top spindles. The weight is thus put directly on the frame and the front wheels and it not supported by the deck itself (would be a bad idea with a floating deck). I used 3/4 plywood with 2x4 edges and hefty screws all around. It holds bucket and such just fine and I don't have to lift much. It scoots up even to the utility trailer just fine to slide off whatever I need to haul.

I wouldn't put hundreds of pounds on it, but I've hauled a lot of buckets, shrubs, and bags of mulch up and down hills that I don't care to walk up or down with a quarter of that load ... and I'm only in about $20.

bobcat48
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice Great dane i like the super surfers,thats really kool that you did that.what size deck looks like a 36 ''or 48''.

GMLC
07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Thinking outside the box, I like it!

northwestwill
07-06-2011, 07:55 PM
It's the 48" Super Surfer. I've been a really big fan of it. I've got a few pretty steep hills and I haven't had any problems other than it being nose-heavy going downhill at an angle. I adjusted the mowing route and no more problems. It's been a good unit.

bobcat48
07-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Thats good,see a company by me runnin one like that i think its the 48 or maybe 52 but very simliar to yours seems like it is a nice stand on mower thats a buy in the future lol great dane and wright seem really good.

South Florida Lawns
07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Great way to start a fire with that hot ass muffler right there.

northwestwill
07-12-2011, 09:54 PM
I worried about that before building it... but went ahead thinking that (and this is a Great Dane design flaw anyway IMHO) they wouldn't have put the-rubber handled 'easy deck adjustment' handle 4 inches from the exhaust outlet or the plastic fuel cell a few inches behind it. The rubber handle on it has never melted or gummed up and is warm but never too hot to use... as it's panned out it hasn't been an issue at all. I DO HOWEVER make sure that I don't put anything on it that can shift and cover the air intake or the top of the motor.

Ford4Ever
07-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Thats good,see a company by me runnin one like that i think its the 48 or maybe 52 but very simliar to yours seems like it is a nice stand on mower thats a buy in the future lol great dane and wright seem really good.

If your interested I have a 52/23 GD Super Surfer for sale 285 hrs asking $4000...
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4093200&posted=1#post4093200