PDA

View Full Version : Downcast lighting from handrail posts

PSUhardscaper
07-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good product to use. I need small lights to be attached to each handrail post to illuminate the bluestone below. Let me know of what comes to mind - and if there are any red flags that you see with trying this idea with this design. Thanks.

Classic Lighting
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
That looks like a wooden handrail. Puck lights are excellent for these applications. I recommend placing to highlight elevation changes and/or turns in the walkway. I frequently zig zag the wire inside a post or it looks like the wire can be placed in runway along the back side of the post. Several companies make puck lights in halogen and LED.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-06-2011, 11:51 PM
There are a mountain of different styles of post light fixtures on the market. Most of them are similar versions to the one pictured above, basically round 'puck' lights. = BORING!

Of all the post light fixtures I have ever seen or used the Nightscaping Copper Post Light WM-3535-CU is by far the cleanest, simplest, and most organic on the market. http://www.nightscaping.com/postliter.php

Something just so out of place to me when you install a round fixture on a square post.

Mark B
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
This might be a little late. But I just finished up a job using some integral deck lights LED. They are tiny plus they fit right under the rails.

I would post a link, but I could not them on there site. I was told by the rep that the fixture is brand new. Plus there site has flash.

Posted via Typwriter

sprinkler guy
07-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Whichever light you choose, I would recommend LED. With these on a hand rail, you don't want anyone touching a hot fixture. Just my 2cents.

David Gretzmier
07-18-2011, 12:13 AM
I would agree with the heat issue on deck lights. we work very hard to go under the rail or between spindles to keep stray fingers off. but kids are always dangerous. this is one area where LED is next on my list. I will be testing 3 new fixtures from garden light that mount under rail and aim down. I have seen the nightscaping lights around, but the ones I saw were not sealed, but looked nice and had a good spread.

I just used a couple of dozen Volt puck lights on a couple of deck projects, and enjoyed the effects from them. sealed, pregreased, frosted lens, good effects. but no matter which brand you use, 20w is hot.

since one of the decks had a pergola, we are also doing up/down lights on the 5 posts that are 6x6. they do a great job of lighting the floor and the upper beams. but your project looks to be a shorter rail.

I have seen some folks use rope lights under rails with a small board for a shroud, but I am not such a big fan as rope lights are not really repairable and need replacing every 3 years or so, LED or not. I have also seen cabinet lights under rails as well, and some LED ones look promising. but I have no long life experience with the LED's, and those tube lights are not very outdoor friendly.

The reason puck lights are so common is they are sealed, work, and if maintained, last a long time, and have a good effect. There are other shapes, but it is the best option.