PDA

View Full Version : Glue - bricks to wood

AGLA
10-21-2002, 06:30 AM
I have a friend out west that has a walkway with stairs in it. The steps were done with 6x6 PT ties and the brick glued to the top as a tread and to the face as a riser. The bricks are falling off after 5 years.

Do any of you have a recommendation for an adhesive for re-attaching these?

steveair
10-21-2002, 08:20 PM
I beleive PL brand paver bond says its good for adhering to wood..........never tried it though.

steve

BRL
10-22-2002, 10:17 PM
I have had good luck with MD 400 Subfloor & Deck Adhesive. Glues anything to anything & does it well. It is labelled for concrete & wood (says: bonds most common building materials). Look in the caulk aisle at the hardware store. Its in a yellow tube and comes in both caulk gun sizes.

Darb
10-27-2002, 12:50 PM
So what did you use? I think I would have tried Liquid Nails or some product similar (like BRL recommended).
Darb

AGLA
10-27-2002, 04:10 PM
I'm not out there, but suggested trying painting on a masonry product called Weld-a Bond on the bottom of the bricks and then using the PL400. Apparently the glue separated from the brick more so than the wood.
It has been separating here and there continuously. I thought it all just started happening. We'll see if the added bong will do its thing.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

steveair
10-27-2002, 11:02 PM
I was just wondering if these are clay bricks or concrete pavers being talked about here.

now that I think about it, I'm not sure if anything will hold clay bricks for long periords besides mortar, which is out of the question when adhering to wood.

As I think about it more and more, nothing really seems to make sense when it comes to glueing to wood in a outside situation. I really think there is no good solution to this, at least one that is going to stand the test of time.

steve

AGLA
10-28-2002, 06:02 AM
They are clay bull nose coping bricks, and I agree that there is no good solution. It is an existing condition. They are looking for the best solution short of ripping it apart short of ripping it apart.
I have a picture, but have not ever posted one on this site. I'm not sure how.

paul
10-28-2002, 09:30 PM
Clay pavers have very little bite to them, I would look for a two part epoxy.