PDA

View Full Version : When are you going to start to market?

TimNNJ
07-07-2011, 08:26 AM
I am thinking about getting out there soon to start marketing to commercials...I sent out a letter in my last invoice to my current clients about lights this past cycle...when do you start to market?...I am really going to give it a go this year..last year we tested the waters and I was happy for what we did...this year I would really like to vamp it up and have a great season

addictedtolandscaping
07-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I have done the chamber of commerce mailers in the past, started in September, hit and miss. I do the direct mail program with HBL that starts in October, lawn signs go up in November, and radio commercials November through December 15th.

TimNNJ
07-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Nice. how does the radio commercial work?...good rate of response?...same with postcards?...I am looking to really push this year for the lights...

addictedtolandscaping
07-14-2011, 06:14 AM
The direct mail rates at about 1.5% return. The radio, I got one call from last year, so it broke even. in addition to the truck and trailer lettering, direct mail, it creates or further establishes credibility.

The one call I got last year which covered the cost of the radio, the rehang this year is profit. I started using lawn signs last year, and that generated a few thousand as well. As Dave has said numerous times, without question, lawn signs is the biggest bang for the buck!!

TimNNJ
07-14-2011, 07:22 AM
I totally agree with the lawn signs. I use them for the lawn and landscaping. I will have the Xmas light ones done this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

addictedtolandscaping
07-14-2011, 07:29 PM
I kept them really simple - "Christmas Lights Installed" and the phone number. I ended up with I believe two last year, and one that our schedules just wouldn't mesh. All together, it was about $250 for the signs, and the projects were over 4K. Nice return!!

This site will start picking up in another month or so, middle of September at the latest. Tons of info on here, and some really seasoned vets who are more than willing to suggest this or that, lots of advice. Great people and information!!!

Don M.
07-14-2011, 10:21 PM
I kept them really simple - "Christmas Lights Installed" and the phone number. I ended up with I believe two last year, and one that our schedules just wouldn't mesh. All together, it was about $250 for the signs, and the projects were over 4K. Nice return!!

This site will start picking up in another month or so, middle of September at the latest. Tons of info on here, and some really seasoned vets who are more than willing to suggest this or that, lots of advice. Great people and information!!!

Do you think a website on a sign would generate more of a return rate than a phone number?

addictedtolandscaping
07-16-2011, 08:18 AM
No, I honestly don't. There in my opinion isn't enough room. People will be more apt to call you than check out a website. Remember, it is crunch time when people start going after it. All the ones who would have done the research are already content. You are now going after the last minute ones so to speak. Set up a point of instant contact. You are not hoping that thy will remember the website when they get home or wherever they are going. They will dial the phone number.

TimNNJ
08-04-2011, 09:30 AM
It's August 4th..my landscape side of the business has died off pretty hard right now...guys are out cutting the lawns and now I have time to really put some strategy together for this year...what is the best approach to hitting retail spots?...networking..when I go to these networking events people get real excited about christmas lighting..so I like to bring that up as much as possible...going to do the signs..postcards...all that good stuff.cheers

addictedtolandscaping
08-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I did the chambers of commerce the first couple years, found them to be a complete waste of money last year. Don;t get me wrong, first year, they generated about 10k worth of work for me, but nothing at all last year, 1 tire kicker call.

I was on the phone with Mike from HBL earlier today, going through my direct mail campaign. I wont deal with the radio stuff until around October; still have several lawn signs, they will go up beginning of November. All our business cards are two sided, landscape and construction on the front, Celebration Lighting (our lighting service) on the back.

Both pickups are lettered, one enclosed trailer lettered, need to get the bucket truck done this year.

David Gretzmier
08-07-2011, 12:41 AM
getting retail business in Christmas lights is pretty tough when you go after it. I have tried. but they do come to me from all the other advertising mentioned above. truck advertising, lawn signs, postcards, all those advertising methods that land in high value homes and neighborhoods, many of those folks own the commercial buildings. That is how we have gotten most of our commercial side.

TimNNJ
08-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Nice ..thanks David for all your insight...that is how I landed a jewlery store in town..did the guys house and he had us do his business. When do you guys start stocking up on materials?...

David Gretzmier
08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
we buy a container of HBL product every other year, and we order product as we need it from HBL, Litresource, etc. I truly stock up on c-9 cord and bulbs by Nov 1. But for my business size, I never let it get below 3-4 spools and 6 cases of bulbs. we will go through a few cases of bulbs at least on replacements and broken bulbs. I would try to have at least 2 of each size of wreath- 30" doors, 36", 48" 5 ft, 6 ft, 7ft before Nov. 1 and then order as you sell them. we keep far more than that from our container order. but that way if you get to the install before they are shipped you have them. male and female slider plugs are always good to have around, we keep at least 100 each, and I keep at least a dozen of each size of extension cords til Nov 1, and then try to keep 36 of each size til Dec. 1. ( or 12 on each truck of each size.) I'd have a case of garland on hand at all times and order as you sell. we keep 100 boxes of clear mini's on hand as well, and bump to 300 boxes on Nov. 1 til Dec 1.

but try to remember these guidlines are for my volume, maybe not yours. we are trying to close 50 new jobs this year, and on average that would be 500 extension cords, 100 timers, about 75 strands of garland, 50 wreaths and about 12-15 spools of c-9 cord.

TimNNJ
08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I am pretty much going to stick with the different size wreaths...gilbert plugs..different extension line...and all the other basic stuff...I tested the waters last year and booked 7 jobs...I am looking for 15-20 this year...and if more ...then more the merrier..

whiffyspark
07-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Posted via Mobile Device