PDA

View Full Version : Question about Clover

Ric
07-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Back in the Early 1950's before my family moved to Florida, My father seeded our house in cooperation with the neighbors etc. I remember it as quite the project. You have to know many of our new Chemicals and equipment weren't around then.

My father seeded in CLOVER with the grass seed, I only assume as a Nitrogen source. Back then everyone just used 6-6-6 on everything. Agriculture will still use Clover in improved pastures.

So the quick question is, Does anyone still use Clover in Residential lawns????? I am guessing not because it represents a Broad Leaf Weed.

JWTurfguy
07-07-2011, 10:00 AM
From time to time, I still have customers asking for it, usually because of something they read on the internet about clover fixing its own nitrogen, etc. After explaining that their neighbors will be hating them when they all wind up with clover that's spread over, reality sets back in and we usually just go with fescue (metro NYC is right on the edge of the transition zone, so tall fescue still does pretty well here on low-input lawns).

Ric
07-07-2011, 10:52 AM
From time to time, I still have customers asking for it, usually because of something they read on the internet about clover fixing its own nitrogen, etc. After explaining that their neighbors will be hating them when they all wind up with clover that's spread over, reality sets back in and we usually just go with fescue (metro NYC is right on the edge of the transition zone, so tall fescue still does pretty well here on low-input lawns).

JW

Kind of what I figured the answer would be. I believe here in the south only larger leave varieties of Clover are viable. Black and Red Clover instead of the White Clover. But I am not sure since we deal most with Oxalis which is clover like. Diacamba is about the only herbicide that will control clover.

I saw some Deer Forage Clover at Tractor Supply yesterday. So that is what sparked this question

grassman177
07-07-2011, 11:07 AM
only the tree huggers want it here, others hate the flowers.

truthfully though, old school lawns were grass, clover and other things and they were cut short for a reason.... prevent flowers so it is just green and neat and cut. that is my take on it and it can look fine in many settings but not a typical resi lawn.

no one asks for it though

WestGaPineStraw
07-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Ton of hop clover here, pain to get rid of..
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
07-07-2011, 12:51 PM
treegal does

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=255620&highlight=clover

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=260455&highlight=clover

Ric
07-07-2011, 01:30 PM
treegal does

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=255620&highlight=clover

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=260455&highlight=clover

Just Call Me Tree Boy the Granola Nut and Tree Hugger because I went ahead and spread 4 lbs of Deer Forage Clover seed on my Bermuda just for the heck of it. 2,4-D will not hurt Clover so I can still control broad leaves. If it get to be a PITA I will just Spray 3 way.

I am in a working class neighborhood and I spray light doses of Roundup on my Bermuda so I don't have to mow it that often. Still I have the nicest lawn on the block. If the clover spreads to my Neighbors, So be it, It might make their weeds green.

Right now I am cloning Perennial Peanuts and Weidela to plant in ditches and banks. Neither one requires a lot of care or chemicals, so I guess I am being Lazy Green.

BTW The rain here today has been like a Teenage Cheer Leader since early morning. All show and no Go.

RigglePLC
07-07-2011, 03:13 PM
My tree-hugger daughter in Maryland planted clover in her Bermuda and tall fescue lawn.
She is weird. True, it was partly my suggestion that influenced her to do this. Stay tuned.

vencops
07-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a LOT of white clover in my lawn. I also live atop a hill on 3 wooded acres (can't see a neighbor's home from mine).

The deer love it. I grew up in a time and place where everyone had this in their lawn. It doesn't bother me in the least.

I've got a LOT of work to do on my lawn, but this is the least of my worries.

Mark Oomkes
07-08-2011, 09:41 AM
It's a pain to mow because it never really dries out, clumps up and looks nasty.

Farmers use it for custom hay sometimes.

Ric
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
It's a pain to mow because it never really dries out, clumps up and looks nasty.

Farmers use it for custom hay sometimes.

Mark

I am hoping it doesn't come in that thick. The package said, it covers 500 Sq Ft. I spread it on 7 thousand sq ft.

vaacutabove
07-08-2011, 07:11 PM
I have about ten acres of it. If I could get rid of the horses itwould do great for cattle. Cows are so much better atleast I can eat them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Goldendog
07-14-2011, 01:33 AM
I'm up in Alaska and it is treated pretty much like a weed up here. I have one customer that has it in her lawn and she wants it gone. I have tried a number of things but need some assistance. Not that much of it up here but I do know when you get it, it's tough to get rid of.

Ric
07-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm up in Alaska and it is treated pretty much like a weed up here. I have one customer that has it in her lawn and she wants it gone. I have tried a number of things but need some assistance. Not that much of it up here but I do know when you get it, it's tough to get rid of.

My seed appears to of not taken so I guess I won't be having Clover. My fault in the fact I just threw the out in all this rain, thinking it would take. I actually have a thick Bermuda lawn and it chocked out any chance of the clover surviving.

Smallaxe
07-14-2011, 07:53 AM
White clover wouldn't even need mowing except for the stupid flowers turning into seed heads... Red clover is a larger version that is used for pasture/hay... Sweet clover is a ditch weed that really has no value that I'm aware of...

It sounds like some of these responses are about red clover and you certainly do not want that in the lawn...

HayBay
07-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Our Dutch White Clover variety does need cutting, it won't grow as high as grass but it is very dense and maintains a lot of moisture. You have to really let it dry out before you cut it or it clumps. (as mentioned by Mark)

Ric, dont be surprised if you see clover growing next year where you threw the seed.

Also, we always ask for inoculated seed. Best results. Its a pinkish coating the apply to the seed.

Clover is not a favorite. I would like to see your peanut lawn. That would be something.

The lot was seeding in Sept-October and picture taken in April just after the snow melted. Clover/Fescue mix

Snakes/turtles/frogs love it.

Ric
07-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Our Dutch White Clover variety does need cutting, it won't grow as high as grass but it is very dense and maintains a lot of moisture. You have to really let it dry out before you cut it or it clumps. (as mentioned by Mark)

Ric, dont be surprised if you see clover growing next year where you threw the seed.

Also, we always ask for inoculated seed. Best results. Its a pinkish coating the apply to the seed.

Clover is not a favorite. I would like to see your peanut lawn. That would be something.

The lot was seeding in Sept-October and picture taken in April just after the snow melted. Clover/Fescue mix

Snakes/turtles/frogs love it.

Hay Bay

So to sum up your post, Clover is like Canadians in Florida. No one likes them and they keep coming back year after year. :hammerhead:

HayBay
07-15-2011, 12:47 PM
heres the before picture:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199989&stc=1&d=1285101773

Ric
07-15-2011, 02:56 PM
heres the before picture:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=199989&stc=1&d=1285101773

Hay Bay

It appears Dutch White Clover is a true Canadian in the fact it comes to Florida and Stays. No 180 day restriction by the Government. And it is CHEAP just like Canadians.

Your information about White Clover opens up and other advantage of clover besides Nitrogen fixation. From what you are telling White Clover doesn't need to be mowed. Or at least not real often. The next thing I need to study is what herbicide Clover can tolerate to keep it weed free and a low low maintenance Ground cover.

As stated above I am fooling with cloning Perennial Peanuts and Wedelia for use on steep banks, ditches and other areas where Mowing is not easy. Both these ground covers a Vegetative propagation instead of Seed. Therefore more costly than Rounduping an area and throw seed.

This also fits with my Chemical Mowing of utility turf as a super maintenance cost reducer. BTW The State of Florida is and has been Chemically mowing many of our Hwys including the Interstates.

PS Any other suggestions of a low growing ground cover that doesn't need mowing real often are gladly excepted. I am attempting to become No Grass Cutting Tree Hugger.

gregory
07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Hay Bay

So to sum up your post, Clover is like Canadians in Florida. No one likes them and they keep coming back year after year. :hammerhead:

thats funny **** ric.......

HayBay
07-15-2011, 04:07 PM
The clover has to be cut to look neat in appearance unless you want a natural look.
One neighbor cuts 2 acres every 4 days to maintain his clover infested lawn, he doesnt want the clover, but there is no chemical options here now.
Its a field of white this time of year and its cut at about 2 inches in height.
I know the guy that installed that lawn years ago, it was mostly seeded Kentucky Blue Grass.

Clover damage was noticed in the spring from winter conditions, some dieback.

Crown Vetch is used for errosion control here

If you like a lawn that is neat and tidy in appearance, uniform in type, color and height and wears well
you will never be happy with a treehugger lawn.

Primo Maxx I thought would be the ultimate solution, but its not registered for us here.
I remember the days you would talk about diluting glyhposate to achieve the same effect.

Your such a smart guy.

Ric
07-15-2011, 07:09 PM
thats funny **** ric.......

Karl

Truth is always funnier than fiction. Hay Bay Said I am smart. What he doesn't know is I am also Dam good looking as well as funny and very smart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Ricyard/MandiMe.jpg

PS this Picture was taken Fathers Day last month. I am 70 years Old so just think how handsome I was as a young man. Karl, I am sure you will verify that is a current picture of me.

Florida Gardener
07-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Ric, is that your daughter?? Btw I would have never pictured you to look like that and you def don't look 70.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Ric, is that your daughter?? Btw I would have never pictured you to look like that and you def don't look 70.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

Maybe people will stop calling me old. I don't act 70 either. Most people guess me in my early 50's. Yes That is my daughter. She was Our county Beauty queen in the Miss Florida Pageant. BTW she is a MD.

Florida Gardener
07-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Chris

Maybe people will stop calling me old. I don't act 70 either. Most people guess me in my early 50's. Yes That is my daughter. She was Our county Beauty queen in the Miss Florida Pageant. BTW she is a MD.

Honestly, I would guess you to be early 50's like you said.....you look way younger than my dad and he is 60.

Your daughter is beautiful btw....obviously ambitious and smart too.....

Ric
07-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Honestly, I would guess you to be early 50's like you said.....you look way younger than my dad and he is 60.

Your daughter is beautiful btw....obviously ambitious and smart too.....

Thank You. I have never bragged before like some other people, even though I have more to brag about. Now you know why I make fun of the fat, ugly and stupid people of the world.

Here is a Picture I posted in the Calendar Girl Thread in the Off Topic Forum.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3914736&postcount=156

My daughter is on the left and My son is engaged to the professional model on the Right.

kipcom
07-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Ric.... AMEN to your quote.... and congrats on the Beautiful daughter and her successful career path. I also have two beauty queens and they are a handful to keep the scum bags off and away from them ( just last nite had to do the Daddy Bad Axx to one of my daughters "friends" as he decided to play around with her mind) anyway..... I dont get on here very much at all due to the >amature hour< type posting's, but for a good :::: chuckle:::: I do read some posts and ocassionally try to help some people.

Be good OR be good at it !