PDA

View Full Version : Straight shaft edgers

unkownfl
07-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Any guys running straight shaft edgers? I find myself in a very small group that prefers them over the curved shaft. I bought a curved shaft to please my helper now my straight doesn't even make it to the rack anymore.

Landscape Poet
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Any guys running straight shaft edgers? I find myself in a very small group that prefers them over the curved shaft. I bought a curved shaft to please my helper now my straight doesn't even make it to the rack anymore.

Nope, curved is what I use. I just like the feel better.

cheapcuts1
07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Tanaka = straight shaft. = bad ass

South Florida Lawns
07-10-2011, 01:20 AM
we have both, curved shafts and straight.

RAlmaroad
07-10-2011, 08:27 AM
I've never owned an edger but now I'm trying to decide which one to get. I've seen those weed eater types from Stihl and then the wheeled gas models with a gas engine. MTD has a nice Yard Machine with a 3HP engine which I like. What is the pro and cons of each? The grass will be mostly St. Augustine (A tough stolon producing grass) and will have to have a deep cut. I was so inspired by the looks of the "Historic District of Georgetown, SC" Any thoughts or suggestions?

Landscape Poet
07-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I've never owned an edger but now I'm trying to decide which one to get. I've seen those weed eater types from Stihl and then the wheeled gas models with a gas engine. MTD has a nice Yard Machine with a 3HP engine which I like. What is the pro and cons of each? The grass will be mostly St. Augustine (A tough stolon producing grass) and will have to have a deep cut. I was so inspired by the looks of the "Historic District of Georgetown, SC" Any thoughts or suggestions?

Get a stick edger...they are easier to transport job to job on the trailer, are more time effecient. If you are cutting SA you will enjoy having a edger as it is a must down here to give the clean finished look that is acceptable on most SA lawns.

Ric
07-10-2011, 12:44 PM

I have a 32CC Echo Stick Edger left over from mowing days. I believe the reason is, it is Heavy as heck and wasn't used except on very heavy new accounts where the extra power was needed. It actually takes a thicker blade and has almost as much power as the walk behind units.

Like all equipment, everyone has their favorite and it is neither Right or wrong as long as it works for you.

Keith
07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Get a stick edger...they are easier to transport job to job on the trailer, are more time effecient. If you are cutting SA you will enjoy having a edger as it is a must down here to give the clean finished look that is acceptable on most SA lawns.

In 1992 I was in the market for several pieces of new equipment. I had owned several "wheeled" edgers and that was what I was shopping for. I was going to buy a $600 Tanaka. The salesman at the mower shop pulled down an Echo PE-2400 and asked if I had ever used one. I said "no. Who would use something like that. I need an edger. Not a trimmer with an edger blade on it." He told me that I would never know what I was missing and that he was selling them left and right. Reluctantly I purchased it. $270 was a lot of money, but it would not be the end of the world if I hated it. I have not owned a "wheeled" edger since.

As Michael mentioned. Rolling an edger on and off the trailer, strapping and unstrapping takes time and takes space. But the main thing is that if you have beds all over the lawn, rolling a wheeled edger through thick grass sucks. The only benefit to a conventional edger is if you are constantly having to clean up edges that have not been maintained. Even then, I would have a tough time not picking one of the heavier stick edgers instead.

RAlmaroad
07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Keith: I was in a box store looking at the stick edgers today. The problem that I saw was that almost all of them had a wimpy 8-9" blade. I need one that will cut down through about 3" of sod. Any suggestions as to a good heavy duty one? I hope to get by the Stihl shop tomorrow.

Keith
07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
All stick edgers are going to have an 8" blade. I do St. Augustine lawns almost exclusively. The only place where I can think it would be a problem is on lawns that had the soil all the way up to the drive or sidewalk before the sod was installed. In that case, the grass forms a natural curb that is very difficult to edge.

A Leaf Above
07-10-2011, 07:33 PM
I use stihl 110s with straight shaft and i love them ...The dealer i use here also has different blades that are actually used for different applications ....Straight shaft has a steel shaft were as the curved edger uses a cable to drive the head .....Personally i like the straight shaft ..

GreenT
07-10-2011, 09:24 PM

This is how we roll.... :)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNdU5KWW5fD1DkJTD_7yrIm71hPkQeFuuaO3k-4TCqAWvZqi64Bw

And for big jobs, we pull out the big guns....

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/rd/lawn-edging-tool-basics0.jpg

:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

Exact Rototilling
07-10-2011, 09:36 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNdU5KWW5fD1DkJTD_7yrIm71hPkQeFuuaO3k-4TCqAWvZqi64Bw

Humm....:confused:

Tell me more....is that faster than the gas powered models. :rolleyes:

Landscape Poet
07-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Humm....:confused:

Tell me more....is that faster than the gas powered models. :rolleyes:

No but he makes up for the time with the savings in oil and gas and blades:rolleyes:

Sacredwaters
05-22-2013, 01:03 AM
I used a curved shaft edger. I am actually using the short pole hedger in a pinch (yup and it works great actually) and a trimmer with an edger blade above a fixed line string head. Remove the strings and you have an edger, put them in and you have a stringer/brush clear master machine. I tend to run with the edger backwards to clean out the line and/or forward just to get a fine edge fast. I make my lines then round them off with the trimmer. It takes more time to beat out the line with a trimmer alone and will not deal with SA runners very well. It can be done. I plan to try the edgit with a 30cc Maruyama, still shopping. That may be a good all in oner. I get massive accounts because of my edges. OF COURSE they want the same price, but there you go, I still win, I still average 30-50 per hour and I just enjoy doing it anyhow. My Shindiawa edger finally died. As for putting a metal blade on a 45 degree head, BEWARE, it takes practice and a little handle adjustments to work. It will travel and it will cause serious damage to edges and shrubs, not for the faint of heart. It works for now. I am in the market for a new edger, but can get by without one. Get a light weight edger, I am looking at the Kawasaki combo now, and always trace all beds and hard surfaces. Makes trimming a breeze if needed at all. If you use something like a 30" toro and edge at a slight back angle to dress the top edge of the grass 'edge' your trimmer will be better used for cleaning beds and touch ups. You can not get to all edges with a trimmer without hitting plants. I suggest you make a new line far away from any sprinkler heads if possible and go ahead and clean out any roots by hand or at least make sure its a root you are bashing into.

rbljack
05-22-2013, 03:50 AM

x2. I have both a curved shaft stihl edger, and the 3 hp edger on wheels. The one one wheels sits in the garage most of the time. the problem is that it works great if you have LOTS of edging to do, and its all along sidewalks and driveways. BUT....if you have to edge along a curb, its a waste of time. The stick edger works better under those conditions, and is easier to transport.

rob7233
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
The only benefit to a conventional edger is if you are constantly having to clean up edges that have not been maintained. Even then, I would have a tough time not picking one of the heavier stick edgers instead.

I just couldn't see why to use a conventional edger when I have the biggest Stihl edger (FC110 engine) mated to a curved shaft instead of the straight shaft that was on it originally. (Stihl did not offer the FC100 in my region at the time).
Overgrown grass growing a foot or more over the sidewalk? No longer a problem with this badboy. Preferred the curved shaft since the straight shaft had me walking up on the grass till I learned to hold off to the side. Still then it didn't feel natural.

Ric
05-23-2013, 08:21 AM

Green T

I see you choice of equipment isn't unlike your politics.

GreenT
05-23-2013, 09:24 AM

As American you have the right to be stupid. :waving:

PappasPM
06-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Staight shaft for me forever. Ive seen alot of curved edgers that the metal at the curve was worn threw by the cable. + its easyer to edge next to a car parked close to a curb. Staight shaft edger on my km130 and i run with it. lol

ArTurf
06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I'll use a stick edger to establish an edge on a new lawn but after that I use my string trimmer with the "Edgit". Far more efficient and will do a better job on tall St Aug. Go to edgit.com and check it out. I've used one for years and I not only use it to edge but all general trimming. Great time saver.

C&C Landscaping
06-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Anyone else using the edgit tool. Looks interesting.

PappasPM
06-27-2013, 01:13 AM
I might have to check one of those out. Might be some good cheap backup. Does it make you have to go slower with the trimmer i wonder?

Keith
06-27-2013, 02:43 PM
In Florida a lot of people have small lawns. A lot of them cram as many plants in as they can. Often the upper canopy of the plants is hanging over the grass. Edging with a trimmer will hit them. Also the trimmer does a pretty good job of sending mulch flying. I've got a zoysia lawn that has Netafim drip and some of it right to the edge of the bed. Edging with the trimmer is the only option here. I spend several minutes herding mulch back into the bed.

greendoctor
06-28-2013, 04:03 AM
In Florida a lot of people have small lawns. A lot of them cram as many plants in as they can. Often the upper canopy of the plants is hanging over the grass. Edging with a trimmer will hit them. Also the trimmer does a pretty good job of sending mulch flying. I've got a zoysia lawn that has Netafim drip and some of it right to the edge of the bed. Edging with the trimmer is the only option here. I spend several minutes herding mulch back into the bed.

Hawaii is the same. No string on my lawns. Trimming up to beds is done with the Maruyama Landscape blade. Edging of borders, plastic edging, and up to hardscapes is done with a curved shaft edger. String not only tears up the reel cut lawns, but also does quite a bad job as far as damaging overhanging plants.

GreenT
06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
No string on my lawns

Sounds like a good name for a band. :)

Ric
06-28-2013, 08:53 AM

I have the same problem when power spraying turf.

It goes back to the untrained Landscape designer who doesn't know plants. The day they install it, it looks great. 6 months later it is a jungle in progress. I am a firm believer in LESS IS MORE.

People from the West Indies seem to plant every inch of their yard. They use a lot of legal herbs for the Holistic medicine they practice. There is actually a big market for those ethnic herbs and vegetables. Ethnic food stores are crying for that kind of product.

Cement curbing has caught on big time in my area of SW Fla. for the same reasons you state. It lasts for years and has a clean look. I am in favor of nature boarders and organic mulch, but the Cement Curb and Stone Mulch is maintenance free by comparison and very popular here.