PDA

View Full Version : Since we're showing off new babies....

The Mowerdude
10-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Well, I thought that since we're all showing off our new toys, I'd show mine.

I got it. In the thread:

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34195&highlight=great+dane

I talked about getting this machine and why I was making the change. So I got the machine last week and just in time for leaf season here in Tennessee. So far I've got 5 hours on it and all I can say is that this thing is SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

As you can see, it has the Bac-Vac, and the Donelson Filter. It also has the Kawasaki 25 as I've made myself a solemn promise NEVER to buy another Kohler product again as long as I live. And that includes faucets. Read the above thread and you'll see why. Anyway, I'm tickled with this machine and it looks like we're going to have a long and happy life together.

Gravely_Man
10-21-2002, 12:48 PM
That looks like a great setup. Thanks for sharing.

Gravely_Man

Bill Davis
10-21-2002, 01:04 PM
I couldnt tell if that was the 60 inch deck? what size trailer do you use to transport that thing? It looks awesome.

MacLawnCo
10-21-2002, 02:35 PM
nice,

how much did it set you back?

captdevo
10-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Very nice set-up!!!

Congrats!!!

let us know how it performs...

TurfPro
10-21-2002, 03:00 PM
now THAT'S a new baby!:)

MacLawnCo
10-21-2002, 04:07 PM
you've said that you get a larger load in the bac vac than the peco, correct? How does the mower cut without the vac on?

The Mowerdude
10-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Ok, let me answer these questions one at a time.

It's a 60 inch deck and with my vac-blower in place, it just squeezes onto my trailer like a hand in a glove. The inside demension of my trailer is 76".

"How much did it set me back?" The retail on this machine is around $9000 with the Bac-Vac being another $3000. For many years, one of the burrs under my saddle has been that none of the equipment dealers in this town will "sharpen" their pencils. Everyone insists on full retail prices. I bought this Hustler from Tieco here in Nashville, and for the first time since I've been in business, I got a good discount. I'm sure it helps that I've bought other equipment from them as well, but per our agreement, I'm not going to say how much of a discount it was. I'm extremely happy with this machine and with Tieco and with Bruce, the salesman.

"Larger load with this machine than the Peco?" You must've read that on the other forum. But yes, I said over there that Peco bushels and Hustler bushels must be different sizes with Hustler bushels being way bigger. Peco claims 12 bushels while Hustler claims 9. All I can say is that I'm getting loads of material out of this thing that Pecos can only dream about.

"How does the machine cut without the vac on?" I started out with Scags years ago and then I went to the Chariots. All of those machines gave me a cut that I was proud of. I didn't think that they could really be improved upon. But this Hustler has proven me wrong. It not only cuts better, but cuts it faster. It has a top speed of around 17mph. We paced it with the truck. It really rocks. One of my customers is a baseball coach. I'm going to get with him and use his radar gun to find out for sure.

This mower will NOT cut cleanly at top speed, but it does cut cleanly way faster than any mower I've ever personally been on. I'm going to get together with Crazygator, one of these days, and compare it with his Dixie. It's clearly WAY superior to my Chariots in both quality and speed. The way I like to describe it is this: This mower will cut just as fast as the yard will let it. So each owner will have to judge for himself based on knowledge and experience with each yard.

Esby
10-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Since this is your "New Baby"...is it a boy or a girl?
Great looking unit!

MOW ED
10-21-2002, 08:14 PM
I'm likin those more and more. Next year might just be the year. That is a great set up and I know I have a use for it in an expanding lawn service.

Looks Great!!

The Mowerdude
10-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Esby
Since this is your "New Baby"...is it a boy or a girl?
Great looking unit!

The answer to that question is: "Yes!" :D

I have to say that what sold me on the Hustler was the right combination of positive feedback on the forums and the knowledgable friendly folks at the Expo in Louisville and finally Bruce at Tieco. All of those things combined to help me make a very informed decision. I wish I had had this input before I bought my 2 Chariots.

I think a lot of sponsors probably wonder what they have to show for the money they've spent so, in this case, here it is.

Flex-Deck
10-21-2002, 10:07 PM
Looks like a very good machine - I like what you said about speed depends upon the yard - It does in our country at least - some are smoothhhherrrrrr than otttthhhherrrs. You can only mow as fast as the terrain allows - Now all you need is a Flex-Deck on that dude to make it reaalllllyyyy awwwsssoomme
Here is a quote from your post

"This mower will NOT cut cleanly at top speed, but it does cut cleanly way faster than any mower I've ever personally been on. I'm going to get together with Crazygator, one of these days, and compare it with his Dixie. It's clearly WAY superior to my Chariots in both quality and speed. The way I like to describe it is this: This mower will cut just as fast as the yard will let it. So each owner will have to judge for himself based on knowledge and experience with each yard."

I think you do need to compare with crazygator on this one - Personally I believe there are a lot of good machines out there, and you and crazygator both have one.

Thanks, Brad ---- PS - MY New Toy -eXmark WB (36" Viking hydro with the Flex-Deck)
http://36X

10-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Mowerdude,

A friend of mine just bought the same set up you have, and paid similar. He used my TORO 200 series ZTR to make his mind up which he wanted. He told me he went with the Hustler for the bagging system only. I drove the Hustler after he bought it and noticed small differences in the two. Nice machine and I know you will enjoy it especially during leaf season. Good Luck.

gene gls
10-21-2002, 10:40 PM
Prepare your self, the Bac-Vac unit has a lot of blow-out collecting leaves. You pretty much have to mow in one direction with the pick up unit over the uncut area. Also, the leaves do not get cut up much going throu the unit therefor the hopper fills up very fast.

Gene

excel25
10-21-2002, 10:45 PM
Congrat's glad to see anouther super-z out in the feild, I know you will love it like I do mine.

P&J Lawncare
10-22-2002, 12:38 AM
I have the same set-up as you and if you have any problems with leaves (blowout) put some scag blades on your mower and it will eliminate alot of the blowout. I am very impressed with the hustler's bagging capabilities and its quality of cut.

Arnold
10-22-2002, 12:56 AM
I would love to have one of those All I got new this year was an Electric Greens Mower I would post a photo but haven't got a digital camera, but you can check it out at www.bettermowers.com and is one Bad Azz mower

mowerconsultant
10-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Mowerdude,
Congrats on the new mower !!!
Your gonna love this unit the more you use it.

Later
Pj

The Mowerdude
10-22-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by gene gls
Prepare your self, the Bac-Vac unit has a lot of blow-out collecting leaves. You pretty much have to mow in one direction with the pick up unit over the uncut area. Also, the leaves do not get cut up much going throu the unit therefor the hopper fills up very fast.

Gene

The way you're describing it, it sounds like you're describing my Pecos. Actually I like to think of myself as having written the book on leaf removal, Ha Ha. :D But in all honesty, in order to do a good job with ANY vac, you're going to have pretty much the same problems. That's just the nature of leaf removal. So I'm not really worried.

I've found that on our knee deep leaves, here in Tn, we have always had to make multiple passes and in different directions. The only real problem in the past, has been when we get right down to the end, we have a lot of blowout. With the Peco/Chariot combo, I would slow the Chariot engine down to a little above idle while racing the Peco engine at top speed. It does a good job using that system. But with the blower being driven off of the cutting deck, the Hustler won't allow me to use that strategy. So it'll be a learning thing. I'm sure I'll figure something out. P&J, I'll try that idea of using Scag blades during leaf season. I've got loads of those still laying around from before. Heck, I've still got Kubota blades and I sold it in 1996.

65Hoss had the same blowout problem with his Exmark. I'm going to go back and do a search. I talked to him at the Expo and he had told me then that he had gotten a baffle from Exmark and it worked well. I'd be willing to bet that I can come up with something for the Hustler.

mowerconsultant
10-22-2002, 07:07 PM
I just found out there is going to be a anti blowout kit available next month sometime.
The part # for the 60" deck on all Hustler Z's is 368498, I have no pricing available at this time.
I will post when it is available and the price as soon as I find out.

Later
Pj

mowngrow
10-22-2002, 11:54 PM
Congrats on your new delivery!! where are the cigars:D hope you make enough money to fill the hopper with ben franklins

The Mowerdude
10-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant
I just found out there is going to be a anti blowout kit available next month sometime.
The part # for the 60" deck on all Hustler Z's is 368498, I have no pricing available at this time.
I will post when it is available and the price as soon as I find out.

Later
Pj

I love this forum. Never in the years that I've been in business have I enjoyed this level of participation from other LCOs or from the equipment manufactures. Thanks, and I'm anticipating getting the blowout kit.

65hoss
10-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Anti-blowout baffle will make it work like a totally different machine. Makes life great when dealing with leaves.:D

Piedmont Lawn
10-25-2002, 12:59 AM
Well talking about new babies,

I have tried but just cant get my pic's to link:(

So look here:D

http://pub10.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=18287&usernum=800288925

and here:D

http://pub10.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=19460&usernum=800288925

60" 25hp kohler.....and it is sweet;)

stslawncare
10-25-2002, 11:26 AM
talk about some nice mowers

captdevo
10-25-2002, 03:15 PM
sorry it's off subject......

here's my latest.....new born (today in fact) min-pins, smaller than a hamster

rkbrown
10-25-2002, 03:35 PM
Dave:

Cute pups !!! I can't tell from the pics, but are you an aunt or an uncle ??? :D

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by rkbrown
Dave:

Cute pups !!! I can't tell from the pics, but are you an aunt or an uncle ??? :D

Wouldn't he be an uncle and they be his neices and/or nephues?:rolleyes:

Aunt Dave how's it hangin'?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Got this new toy in August.

LAWNGODFATHER
10-25-2002, 03:52 PM
This one in September.