PDA

View Full Version : charge for refusing an ordered estimate ?

americanlawn
07-07-2011, 07:44 PM
What do you guys do if somebody asks for a lawn treatment estimate, but when you get there, they say "Not interested". ???? (then they pretty much run you off the property).

I had one yesterday. I showed up within 24 hours of their phone call. (The son called in asking for a lawn estimate plus light pruning & poison ivy control). I rang the doorbell 3 times & waited. No answer. Then I started measuring. When I got to the back yard, his mother was there watering flowers. She asked me who I was and what what I was doing on her property. I told her that Randy called yesterday for a free estimate. Her response, "NOT INTERESTED".

The property was very neglected. It was full of creeping Charlie, flowers, volunteer trees, poison ivy, etc, etc. I figure the property was the crappiest within many blocks. So I called Randy on his cell phone before I drove away. (He works hard, and does not want to mess with maintaining the property --I don't blame him). He also apologized, yet he did not seem to care that our company lost time & money.

Is there a legal way to charge for our expenses in a situation like this? I'm thinking probably not, but maybe you guys have an answer/suggestion. Thanks :confused:

vencops
07-07-2011, 07:50 PM
You said the estimate was free. Would you feel better if she'd let you do the estimate and then said "not interested"?

Count your blessings.

Patriot Services
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Send Randy a bill and see what happens.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbturf
07-07-2011, 08:01 PM
could go either way on this - ive tried charging 50 for an full estimate/analysis, fully refundable upon signup for service-- helps weed out the bozos
but most other trades still offer free estimates

the thing that still kills me is customers expecting free service calls

robertsturf
07-07-2011, 08:18 PM
How about charging for an estimate with credit towards the yearly application schedule or services? That might "weed" out price shoppers and the competition.

Service 1st Lawn Care
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
How do you know randy works hard?

americanlawn
07-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi buddy - Very sorry I was not able to see you last week. Just south of K.C., they closed down US 71 due to a semi accident. I sat in traffic for an hour before they got the highway cleared -- that really sucked.

Around here, lco's are a dime a dozen. (many dozens in the phone book) There is no way we could charge for lawn care estimates and still be competitive. On the other hand, we do charge for tree/shrub estimates/evaluations.

As for low-rent Americans that steal our money...that's what Sahara is for. :laugh: (my 2 cents)

How about charging for an estimate with credit towards the yearly application schedule or services? That might "weed" out price shoppers and the competition.

RigglePLC
07-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Make sure you can quote a price to Randy on the phone. He may want to pay for it on behalf of his mother. Maybe he forgot to inform his mother he asked for an estimate. Make him feel guilty for wasting your time early in your sales presentation.

fl-landscapes
07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Make sure you can quote a price to Randy on the phone. He may want to pay for it on behalf of his mother. Maybe he forgot to inform his mother he asked for an estimate. Make him feel guilty for wasting your time early in your sales presentation.

As long as mom doesn't break out the twelve gauge when he shows up to do a treatment
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Delete

Think Green
07-07-2011, 09:41 PM
All of my ads specify........free estimates within the city........all out of town estimates are charged according to the miles.
At least the time you were there.......another LCO shows up at the same time. I have done this and both of us met the customer and each wrote out an estimate. The clincher is--The other competitor left and the customer showed me his other estimate. Asked me if I could beat it! Fortunately---I left also!!!!

But a free estimate is what is says---Free estimate!!!!!!!unless specified!

americanlawn
07-08-2011, 08:57 PM
I hear ya buddy -- I'm guessing you are not in the "used car" situation either. Summer often brings out the homeowners that want a one or two app deal to clean up their crappy/neglected yard. Then they'll skip a few years before they call somebody else. Had one today - I did an estimate in '08. He called yesterday for ANOTHER estimate. His yard is junk, and I don't really want him as a customer, cuz he never cares or does his part in making his property presentable.

I figure it takes 3 times as long to properly treat/clean up neglected properties. We can't hardly charge 3X $$ and be competitive, so we try to avoid these properties at all costs. my 2 cents

All of my ads specify........free estimates within the city........all out of town estimates are charged according to the miles.
At least the time you were there.......another LCO shows up at the same time. I have done this and both of us met the customer and each wrote out an estimate. The clincher is--The other competitor left and the customer showed me his other estimate. Asked me if I could beat it! Fortunately---I left also!!!!

But a free estimate is what is says---Free estimate!!!!!!!unless specified!