PDA

View Full Version : Permagreen triumph hopper

bflower
07-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Just curious if anyones has shelled out the extra bucks for a triumph with the centri one hole opening and if it has helped with pattern issues. I am looking at leaving my magnums for the new machine, however it is hard, i have enough spare parts to build another magnum and the triumph is a whole new animal. How many hours have you racked up on your triumphs and would you go back to the magnum if you could?

PSUTURFGEEK
07-07-2011, 11:54 PM
$ 200.00 upgrade through PG, well worth the money!

RigglePLC
07-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Its easy. Cut a new hole the size you want.

WestGaPineStraw
07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
I have 125 hrs on my triumph. I have the 3 hole setup. My pattern is sweet! You have to calibrate it with the pan method. The third hole is basically half way open. My pattern works with the pattern actually coming to the edge of my previous wheel marks. The back and forth method works the best for me. Its a good machine, you just have to have it calibrated for it to work.

Has anyone seen the spray only triumph?
Posted via Mobile Device

bflower
07-12-2011, 10:50 PM
PSU- is it safe to say u opted for the upgrade? we are moving more and more in the organic direction and wonder if this hopper would be preffered to spread dustier materials as well as lime applied at the higher rates.

jbturf
07-17-2011, 07:40 PM
spread pattern has been very good on my triumph (reg 3 hole hopper)
and they changed to a lesco style agitator from a spyker type (which wore out or
broke really quick) they also addressed a sloppy shut off plate on the early triumphs (mine)
its now very tight and accurate

my only gripe with the hopper is a flat bottom shape to it- dosnt allow product to
all flow out like most hoppers, with a fert combo products its the worst,
regular ferts you need to refill with about 10 lbs of product left in the hopper

the organics are bit bulkier and less dense usually, perhaps a hopper extension would
be helpfull--- for exapmle i can fit about 140 lbs of NP 6-2-4 in the triumph hopper

my old pg ultra with pg hopper extension fit about 160 lbs of NP 6-2-4

wrxscby
08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I am having the same problem with my triumph and all the material not coming out. It is a real pain when you are using multiple products on different customers! Wondering if PG will think of something to fix this?

Miles4767
08-15-2011, 09:52 PM
i have to agree, when i was putting down allectus and other combo products, the fert would get so caked up at the bottom of the hopper i would have pieces of dust caked up so it would block the holes and not spread at the right rate. which brings me to another problem, the calibration for the spreader on the triumph and the black calibration key have nothing in common. it would be nice if permagreen would address some of the issues with the triumph. But everyone i talk to has the same issues, but overall i cant complain about it since its my first rider and has made work a lot easier.

jbturf
08-15-2011, 11:07 PM
miles, do you have the updated agitator kit from pg? its free
and it addresses several issues- check into it

also, can you explain
" the calibration for the spreader on the triumph and the black calibration key have nothing in common"

im not sure they could fix the flow of the hopper without a new hopper design, an insert or baffle placed inside would cut down on capacity

Miles4767
08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
yes, i do have the updated agitator, but i still run into problems with the hopper design and having material left just spinning in the hopper. and about the calibration, the numbers that are set on the permagreen are not even close to what the key calibrator are. just for calibrating 4 lbs/ 1000 would be about 15 on the black key, and according to the permagreen it is 25.. not 100% on the permagreen, but the are not even close. i have always made sure by using the key for spreading, and with my lesco push spreader i have never had a problem. but if i would go with the permagreen setting without double checking, i would apply way less product than what i should.

jbturf
08-16-2011, 07:32 AM
yes, i do have the updated agitator, but i still run into problems with the hopper design and having material left just spinning in the hopper. and about the calibration, the numbers that are set on the permagreen are not even close to what the key calibrator are. just for calibrating 4 lbs/ 1000 would be about 15 on the black key, and according to the permagreen it is 25.. not 100% on the permagreen, but the are not even close. i have always made sure by using the key for spreading, and with my lesco push spreader i have never had a problem. but if i would go with the permagreen setting without double checking, i would apply way less product than what i should.

miles, just trying to help-- but i think u still have the old style agitator,
the new one does not "spin" give a call and ask, sounds like you have the one
they sent out to everyone a while back-- this new one they have not sent to everyone

as far as calibration, that is the point of having the gauges, ive owned alot
of different spreaders over the years, and that is the only sure way to tell--
linkages, cables, stops etc... can all be different and change with wear and age

if you need to change your setting for a differnt product, your hopper will be empty anyways- i see your point it would be easier to have an fully acurate built in gauge adjustment

Miles4767
08-16-2011, 05:27 PM
jb - thanks, you were right. talked to dave at permagreen, he is sending me the new agitator along with the spray guard. so hopefully it will work out for the better.

wrxscby
08-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I got my triumph in june. It should have the new agitator? It spins back and forth like a lesco spreader. Is there something else that they came up with to get the material to come out better?

WestGaPineStraw
08-17-2011, 09:01 AM
I've got the circle one, I believe I have the old one..am I correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

Miles4767
08-19-2011, 11:34 PM
westga - you still have the old agitator, i got the agitator today along with the spray guard. if you are having problems just give them a call and you shouldnt have a problem with getting it sent you to free of charge. not that hard to replace and from what i could tell the new agitator is a lot more efficient than the old. it would be nice if permagreen would update the website to let people know about the agitator and spray shield.

On a different note, has anyone with a triumph tried using any post emergent herbicide in the spray tanks? from what i have read on labels from Q4 plus, tenacity, momentum Q, they all say to have at least 20-30 galloons of water before mixing. i would be tempted to try one of them just to spot spray with the rider, instead of having to spread fert and then go through and spot treat with a back pack or spot sprayer

WestGaPineStraw
08-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Thanks ill call them..

I use celsius, 3way, momentum out of mine all work great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Smarts
08-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Has anyone come up with a solution to the fertilizer build-up beneath the impeller? I've had a problem where it builds up to the point it just slides off the deck into one big pile on the lawn, leaving a nice burn spot. Someone suggest spraying it with Pam, or even Armor-All, to create a slick surface.

Miles4767
08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Has anyone come up with a solution to the fertilizer build-up beneath the impeller? I've had a problem where it builds up to the point it just slides off the deck into one big pile on the lawn, leaving a nice burn spot. Someone suggest spraying it with Pam, or even Armor-All, to create a slick surface.
Posted via Mobile Device

Miles4767
08-21-2011, 09:45 PM
turfsmarts- i have been using cleaner wax before a head out each day. that has been doing a pretty good job on not having the fert cake up. but if it is raining or any water gets underneath the impeller, you will still have build up. it is kind of a pain having to do it everyday, but it pays off, because it sucks when you hit a bump and have all the fert just fall off and burn a nice patch in a lawn.

Turf Smarts
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "cleaner wax". Are you talking about auto wax?

Miles4767
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
yeah car wax anything like that

bflower
08-22-2011, 11:28 AM
still curious if anyone has opted for the one hole- spyker option and if it is night and day over the standard 3 hole. I hate to pay 300 more, and wait for a special order machine if there is no real difference.

indyturf
08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
I have had both hoppers. the Lesco style on the Magnum and Spyker one hole opening on the Centri. I liked the Spyker much better. less clogging, more even spread.

jbturf
03-12-2012, 09:24 PM
update for triumph owners, PG has a slighty redesigned hopper available with more
slope at the bottom , its about $250.-
i just installed it on my machine - pretty easy, includes new spinner plate, agitator, shaft,
hardware etc...

cgaengineer
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
spread pattern has been very good on my triumph (reg 3 hole hopper)
and they changed to a lesco style agitator from a spyker type (which wore out or
broke really quick) they also addressed a sloppy shut off plate on the early triumphs (mine)
its now very tight and accurate

my only gripe with the hopper is a flat bottom shape to it- dosnt allow product to
all flow out like most hoppers, with a fert combo products its the worst,
regular ferts you need to refill with about 10 lbs of product left in the hopper

the organics are bit bulkier and less dense usually, perhaps a hopper extension would
be helpfull--- for exapmle i can fit about 140 lbs of NP 6-2-4 in the triumph hopper

my old pg ultra with pg hopper extension fit about 160 lbs of NP 6-2-4

Do they fix the sloppy shut off plate as well?
Posted via Mobile Device

jbturf
03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
yes, they have fixed that, and its been good

the plate now pivots on a solid bushing

the new agitator setup works good to but is short lived,
mine was completely worn out after about 4 months of
daily use

cgaengineer
03-13-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm going to call PG and see if they will send the new parts...thanks JB.

The hopper prob is not a concern for me since we service 99% Bermuda lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

piggsm
04-05-2012, 08:59 AM
jb turf,

Do you still have the hopper extensions for your Ultra's? I still have 2 ultra's for smaller yards, but ineviatbly, we end up using them as reinforcements on large properties. I would love to put hopper extensions on them, but Permagreen quit manufacturing them.

jbturf
04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
jb turf,

Do you still have the hopper extensions for your Ultra's? I still have 2 ultra's for smaller yards, but ineviatbly, we end up using them as reinforcements on large properties. I would love to put hopper extensions on them, but Permagreen quit manufacturing them.

no sorry, went with machines

---
update on new hopper
its very little improvement :confused:

currently using a fert + dimension blend,
rough guess-
old hopper = 15-20 lbs left in hopper
new hopper = 10-15 lbs left in hopper

probably not worth the $250