PDA

View Full Version : Z-spray spreading heavy to the right

FERT-TEK
07-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Could someone offer up the name of a thread that discusses the issue of a z-spray spreading heavy to the right. My searches came up empty.

Here is some background on my issue. This summer I switched to a granular grub control product offered by a company called Prokoz and the product is called Zenith (http://prokoz.net/site_files/products/file/Zenith.pdf). It is a straight Imacloprid product with no fertilizer in it that has a very small prill size that is preventing me from adjusting my Z-Spray pattern to get the product to evenly spread in front of the machine. This product is staying on my spinner plate too long and is being thrown off to the right. After struggling with this adjustment on a couple houses to get it right I stopped to look for suggestions. FYI Z-Spray was helpful over the phone in illustrating how the mechanism works and offered up that to properly adjust it you only need small adjustments to the cable to change the pattern greatly 1/8" at a time. Unfortunately, I could not get this product to properly spread after several attempts at these micro adjustments.

rcreech
07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Adjust the accuway setting
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Dave,
This is backwards--difficult as Z-Spray spins in the opposite direction. Not sure if I understand the situation. If the platter spins clockwise, product landing near the outside of the platter--leaves the platter first--falling mainly to the left.
So, you want more product falling onto the outside of the spinning platter.

You may need to put some duct tape or thin plastic over parts of the opening to adjust where it hits the platter.
Don't you wish you could control hole adjusters on the fly? It would be great to control the pattern when it is visible without getting off the driver position.

FERT-TEK
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Adjust the accuway setting
Posted via Mobile Device

Rcreech, that is the adjustment I described in the OP. I have tried adjusting it in 1/8" increments anywhere from all the way in to adjusted all the way out and in-between with little change. The best I could do is to have the center of the spread pattern wind up somewhere around 2 o-clock if that makes sense. I then had to change my driving pattern to compensate for the spread.

One thing I forgot to mention is when I would slow the spinner down from roughly a #4 setting to a #2 setting for a narrower spread, the dispersion pattern would then center.

FERT-TEK
07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
Dave,
This is backwards--difficult as Z-Spray spins in the opposite direction. Not sure if I understand the situation. If the platter spins clockwise, product landing near the outside of the platter--leaves the platter first--falling mainly to the left.
So, you want more product falling onto the outside of the spinning platter.

You may need to put some duct tape or thin plastic over parts of the opening to adjust where it hits the platter.
Don't you wish you could control hole adjusters on the fly? It would be great to control the pattern when it is visible without getting off the driver position.

Yes this is difficult and frustrating in that I cannot get it to center without modification to my machine. BTW, you are correct in that the spinner platter spins clockwise so it does appear that I need to get the Accuway to place more product near the outside of the platter so it is dispersed more quickly and to the left. This is definitely the solution to my problem. It is also possible that the Accuway is completely out of alignment. I have never taken my hopper apart to check though. My searches have come up empty for a thread someone started here that suggested different solutions to this exact problem. Most of the conversation was about changing to a different spinner platter design if I remember right. Someone here will remember it.

Riggle unrelated but I posted a comment on a thread you started about a mole you caught in a trap this summer, and realized I bought my machine from a company near you. The company was called Mole Busters out of Grand Rapids...small world. Also heard on the WGN News that your city had a murder suicide up there last night, tragic.

Service 1st Lawn Care
07-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Have you called LT Rich and talked to Andy?

americanlawn
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
It ain't just Z's. Have you tried swapping out the Spyker impeller with a LESCO impeller? (Andy & Scott have probably run into this before). 2 of the 4 Spyker impeller fins are "curved right" The LESCO impellers are all straight blades. my 2 cents

RigglePLC
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Dave, yeah we were nervous as heck last night. I checked the door locks 3 times. Bipolar--off his meds. He shot 7 people including his own daughter. Then--when cornered with hostages--he shot himself.
Sure I know the Tuffturf/Mole Busters people, not far away.
Maybe the imidicloprid stuff you are using with the small particles flows too freely. I suggest (duct tape) cover one-third of the opening near the center so no product can flow out onto the spinner near the center (as that product always leaves the spinner last and goes to the right.)
You may need to build an adjustable flat plastic cover to block product from that center area. Get it where you want it and tighten the screws. Drive across 10 paper plates to calibrate the pattern. Count the particles in each plate.

Regards,
John

FERT-TEK
07-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Have you called LT Rich and talked to Andy?

Yes, in the OP I said that I called Z-Spray and adjusted the Accuway as they suggested. They were helpful in illustrating how the problem is happening and that the solution is to adjust the Accuway but in my case it did not correct the problem. It did bring the center of the spread somewhere around 2 o-clock. From there I had to adjust my spread pattern so I got the correct overlap. I believe part of the problem is the prill size. This Prokoz Zenith insecticide is about the same size as patio paver base.

FERT-TEK
07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Dave, yeah we were nervous as heck last night. I checked the door locks 3 times. Bipolar--off his meds. He shot 7 people including his own daughter. Then--when cornered with hostages--he shot himself.
Sure I know the Tuffturf/Mole Busters people, not far away.
Maybe the imidicloprid stuff you are using with the small particles flows too freely. I suggest (duct tape) cover one-third of the opening near the center so no product can flow out onto the spinner near the center (as that product always leaves the spinner last and goes to the right.)
You may need to build an adjustable flat plastic cover to block product from that center area. Get it where you want it and tighten the screws. Drive across 10 paper plates to calibrate the pattern. Count the particles in each plate.

Regards,
John

The discharge opening in my hopper has one large door that allows the product to pass over the Accuway teeth to control where the product is dispersed. It does not have the three openings you mention. My trusty PG ultra had those though and they were great for adjusting the pattern. I dont have that option in this this case.

FERT-TEK
07-09-2011, 10:17 AM
It ain't just Z's. Have you tried swapping out the Spyker impeller with a LESCO impeller? (Andy & Scott have probably run into this before). 2 of the 4 Spyker impeller fins are "curved right" The LESCO impellers are all straight blades. my 2 cents

yes two of the blades are curved to the right. Will the lesco impellers fit the machine without alteration?

FERT-TEK
07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas, I seem to remember this subject discussed here last year. Hopefully someone will come across this thread and direct me to the original one. FYI, I have tried several searches and they came up empty so far.

RigglePLC
07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Dave,
The Ultra was fun (usually).
I think I can picture the one large door that I have seen on Z-Sprays. I cannot help much. My only suggestion is a flat piece of plastic held with a screw. It could be rotated to cover more or less of the upper portion of the door opening. In theory, resulting in less and less of the product falling at the center of the spinner. (And less and less to the right). I can't figure out any way to adjust it without emptying the hopper. It would do the same thing as the Accuway adjuster only on the inside of the hopper--instead of the outside. Perhaps the Accuway teeth are too far apart, for small particles. Is the Accuway adjustment working at all--bent? Jammed? Corroded?
I know, hard to see it when you are driving the machine. Two person job.

americanlawn
07-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I too remember this thread. The guys who installed the LESCO impeller in their Z's said it did the trick.

The size of each of the 2 impellers is identical. To install the LESCO impeller, just enlarge the hole in the collar of the impeller. Use a drill, and enlarge the hole very slightly so the clip fits in just like the Spyker. That's it. Total install time = about 5 minutes. Then I suggest moving the Accuway all the way back so it's totally out of the way. This should solve the prob. Please let us know how it works. Thanks. :waving:

yes two of the blades are curved to the right. Will the lesco impellers fit the machine without alteration?

FERT-TEK
07-09-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=288970&highlight=accuway

American you dog.....here is the thread I was talking about, turns out I participated in this thread so shame on me for nit being able to find it.

turf hokie
07-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Fert-tek
I removed the accuway on my max, it only seemed to collect dust and cake up.

I also ran my max for 4 seasons with the original style spinner with no problems, for some reason this year I felt it was spreading to the right, I put the lesco impeller on, no modifications to anything and have been just fine, I have spread back and forth as well as circular without an issue.

Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
07-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Just ordered a lesco impeller for my Z.

Always spread to the right and the accuway did not help at all. I pulled it back and also taped it so it wouldnt slide down. Been like that since the first time I calibrated it.

My z-spray never striped unless on a newly established lawn where effects of the fert easily shows. I have to go over it perpendicular at half rate.

B&K LawnCare
07-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Where did you order yours from. Was it any particluar size. Or is it one size fits all
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
07-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Ordered it from Rittenhouse. Its the Lesco 80# stainless spreader. I dont have model # but its the one with the two piece handle. They all might have the same impeller though. $27.95 shipped to MI.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landgreen
07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1329

FERT-TEK
07-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if this impeller fits on a Z-Spray? If so how difficult is it to switch out?

Landgreen
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if this impeller fits on a Z-Spray? If so how difficult is it to switch out?

It better fit. That's what other members have used on their Z's. Needs to be drilled out where the pin or whatever goes through. I'll post after I get it on and report results. I'll be using it all next week.

FERT-TEK
07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for suggesting I switch impellers to correct the heavy right issue it worked.

Today I switched to the Lesco impeller and all is well. The spread pattern was in front of my machine with good even coverage right and left. As I mentioned in the OP I believe that this problem is twofold. One part of the problem is the small prill size of the product. I do not have a sgn to illustrate but would consider the product I was using about the size as paver base. I also is not round like most ferts but has more of a crystalline shape. Secondly, I think because of the small prill size I had to adjust my spreader opening down to a 4 to get the desired application rate. This small opening may be causing the product to drop on the impeller closer to the shaft and allowed it to stay on the impeller longer with the help of the curved fins we discussed.

https://prokoz.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=70

americanlawn
07-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Cool deal FERT-TEK. It's all about impeller speed & particle size. Z-Spray & T3000 (Spyker) units have faster impeller speeds compared to push spreaders. The ONLY problem you may run into after switching to the LESCO impeller on your ride-on is if you try using a very small particle sized product. Then you may have to adjust your passes or else rely on the accuway (which sucks most of the time). my 2 cents

Landgreen
07-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Installed the lesco impeller. Fit ok. Tight fit for the pin but didn't need to drill it. Works great. Speads even on both sides. It has an offset hole as well as the different fins. Will try spreading naturesafe with it and see how it does. Always had problems with that product before.

americanlawn
07-19-2011, 09:22 PM
That's awesome buddy. IMO the LESCO impeller spreads evenly and eliminates or at least greatly reduces the need for the 'accuway'. The Spyker accuway tends to gum up & adversely affects spreader patterns. I recommend folks running Z's to try the LESCO impeller. my 2 cents