PDA

View Full Version : Guy won't pay me!

pattytastik
07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
So I mowed this guys lawn a few times and he owes me $72.00. It has been months since I have started sending him letters (some threatening to use a collecting agency). I have had no success. I am 16 years old so there is not much i can do in terms of knocking on his door and demanding to get paid (the guy is around 6'4 and 300 pounds lol)

Are there any collecting agency's or something that would help me out even though it is such a small amount of money?

I know that to most of you 72$ is pocket money, however to me it is decent money.

Thanks!

supercuts
07-08-2011, 05:45 PM
get used to it, also get used to confronting him and others. id pound on his door until he answered. if he threatens you remind him asaulting a minor is a felony. if he doesnt pay im sure you could get creative with "appropriate action". ive found approaching them in person shows your not scared and are not going to back down. they typically pay right away....bottom line, grow a set and dont back down.

Get Some...
07-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Ditto.........

razor1
07-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Gotta agree, be persistent, make him change his number. (if you have to)

jiggz
07-08-2011, 06:40 PM
you can always get creative with some glysophate

Agreen-go
07-08-2011, 08:06 PM
72 dollars is not pocket money to anybody, it's money owed to you for services rendered.
If your parents are willing to go with you have them go before you start legal proceedures, if that doesn't work then see what small claims or a collection agency will do for you.

JDiepstra
07-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Go visit him at work.

rodzilla94
07-08-2011, 08:26 PM
get used to it, also get used to confronting him and others. id pound on his door until he answered. if he threatens you remind him asaulting a minor is a felony. if he doesnt pay im sure you could get creative with "appropriate action". ive found approaching them in person shows your not scared and are not going to back down. they typically pay right away....bottom line, grow a set and dont back down. he!!yes..... this is the best quote of the day:clapping:

Guzzo856
07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
nothing a few bricks cant fix

TheChiefsLawnCare
07-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Go knock on his door, tell him you want your money and if he dont answer well knock again. Do you have any proof that he owes you any money? But yeah, just keep bugging the piss out of him and he might end up paying you. But 72 dollars proab wont be worth it in the long run. Might just have to eat it and not deal with him again. Good luck.

ecurbthims
07-08-2011, 10:55 PM
legally you cant have a contract with a 16 year old in most parts ,not sure if that is good or bad for you ,but I would be carefull untill I talked to somebody who does know your rights .You can always stand in front of his house crying and when the cops show up tell them he touched your bum ,guaranteed you would be paid within minutes,then the boys will beat the crap out of him which would be a win and teach the dirt bag a lifes lesson .

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
07-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Normallythe reciept of small claims courtpapers has a tendency to get the deadbeats check books out.
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassGuerilla
07-08-2011, 11:01 PM
First, don't take it personal. Obviously, quit cutting his grass if you haven't. You'll encounter quite a few deadbeats in this, and most other work. For $72 it's probably not worth turning over to collections. In Mo. It pretty easy to start a small claims case, but you'll spend more time pursuing it than it worth. One day to file it, another day for a hearing, and even if you get a judgement, there's nothing to force him to pay it.

Don't give up though, bill him monthly. Call him 8-10 times and send at least 3 invoices. Most will pay, those that don't aren't worth any more trouble. Your efforts are better spent pursuing new customers. I understand the principle of just wanting to get paid for your hard work, just don't trip over the dimes on your way to the dollars.

Whatever you do don't damage his property or seek retribution. I know it's tempting to write "dirtbag" in his grass with Round-up, but nothing good can come of it. We all get stiffed, don't sink to his level.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will P.C.
07-08-2011, 11:10 PM
This is a good lesson in running a business. Some people juke themselves out of paying no matter the circumstances.

A collections agency would buy your account, but for cheap (20 dollars?)

Small claims is a general waste of time in most circumstances since deadbeats know that do not have to pay if you win.

Maybe you have a lawyer as a family/friend that can write a nasty note for free.
Having to pay for one would cost more than 72 dollars in most cases.

However, at some point you need to calculate how much time you are putting into this. Could you be servicing other lawns making cash during this time?

gebby
07-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Oh the stories I could tell. 72.00 is a lot of money to us all. Stay with it but don't get hurt over it. Crazy people every where. I know it sucks but, hopefully you will learn from it. Be thankful it's only 72.00 and not 720.00.

I had a guy walk up to us today with a sob story wanting his gras cut. As he is smoking his cigarette, he tells me he just got out of the hospital for a mild heat attack. His mother has sugar and his brother sitting on the porch is mental. Wants to know how much it might be for a lot his size. $80.00 he almost falls over. I tried to be nice and say we are full. It's 7:30PM and we have 4 more to go and sorry. He then says well no trimming how much. I say the same thing. He asks how about just the front as he stomps his smoke out in the lawn. I say again we are full. He by now is begging just for the front. I said 20.00 for 5 minutes of cutting. He asked if we cut, can he pay later. I said no our boss is a real SOB. I walk away and he does too. He then comes back and wants to know how to put a belt on a Craftsman mower. I said take it to a mower shop. This is the type person who is a time waster and will never pay you. Stay clear of them all.

Runner
07-09-2011, 01:18 AM
if he threatens you remind him asaulting a minor is a felony.

Actually, there is no such thing. (Assault is assault)

To the OP, try to get even a little out of him. Then give him a receipt for the amount paid. What you have just done then is get him to acknowledge that there was an agreement there, and that he indeed does owe the money. you can keep this until you turn 18, then take it to small claims court. Even being a minor, you are entitled to this money. Yes, it is law that a minor cannot enter into a contract, but what that boils down to, is that the minor can not be held responsible for any debt. And no,...a collection agency won't touch this one.

soloscaperman
07-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Snow plow his mailbox for Free.

topsites
07-09-2011, 01:26 AM
I could see myself getting a little bit short-sighted and narrow minded in regards to this particular situation.
At some point I would advise, however, don't break the law.
It's not worth it.

Good luck

Oh the stories I could tell.

I had a guy walk up to us today with a sob story wanting his gras cut. As he is smoking his cigarette, he tells me he just got out of the hospital for a mild heat attack. His mother has sugar and his brother sitting on the porch is mental. Wants to know how much it might be for a lot his size.

Oh hell, I get the ones pull up in a $100,000 car trying to tell me about hard times.
They don't get much of a discount, either.

soloscaperman
07-09-2011, 01:29 AM
If we all snow plowed mailboxes then he will get the hint after 3 landscapers and 3 missing mail boxes. if he doesn't learn and you see a house with a mailbox that gets trashed every so often THEN IT'S A SIGN NOT TO HAVE THAT ACCOUNT! LOL ;-)

Aaronnc
07-09-2011, 02:14 AM
http://www.howdididoit.com/legal/how-to-take-someone-to-small-claims-court/

Brodie
07-09-2011, 03:47 AM
There are two ways to solve the problem.

1) Cop a loss on this one and learn a lesson. Believe me i understand how hard it is to loose money for the services you provide but in most cases you will spend more time trying to get the money. Not to mention the stress it will cause you short term worrying about it.

2) Peruse the issue directly. There is nothing wrong with having a face to face conversation with the client. I dont know the whole situation in this case but i know that with one of my current customers she lost her job and her partner was also out of work. I confronted her professional and asked if there was a problem with paying the bill and subsequently told me the situation. In this case we worked out a solution that would suit us both.

Now dont get me wrong im not that naive to think that all situations are like this but my point is that talking with your customers is important in these situation. Just sending invoices and threatening while that helps us in most case it will just escalate the situation.

You do need to learn a big lesson from this though. There are always going to be people that dont want to pay or delay payment its just human nature to be selfish. What you need to do is put in place measures to protect yourself.

When I first started I made it clear that payment was due after each mow, not monthly after each mow. If the client was not there and no money was left for us then the lawn did not get mowed a reminder note was left to say that we had been and when we were coming next. Now we are a bigger company and can afford to have monthly payments but with the monthly payment comes a contract with our payment terms and conditions that are agreed to at the beginning of each year.

Im going to support very strongly what many others have said do not damage property or make it personal.You are now in business and need to behave accordingly. Remember that bad news travels faster than good.

Lastly good luck with this situation its not nice to have this happen to you but remember most of us on here have had it happen to us at some point.

Snapper Jack
07-09-2011, 08:22 AM
legally you cant have a contract with a 16 year old in most parts ,not sure if that is good or bad for you ,but I would be carefull untill I talked to somebody who does know your rights .You can always stand in front of his house crying and when the cops show up tell them he touched your bum ,guaranteed you would be paid within minutes,then the boys will beat the crap out of him which would be a win and teach the dirt bag a lifes lesson .
LMAO:waving:

parrlawncare
07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
$72 is Gas money !!.....Go get it!! Get used to dealing with attitudes but that is your money...you worked for it. I did a job trimming a ton of monkey grass and spreading 175 bales of pine needles. After trimming the monkey grass and cleaning the place up he rescheduled the pine needles on me twice finally cancelling them all together because he didn't want to spend the money but he still owed me for the monkey grass and clean up. He wouldn't answer his phone, emails or front door. After 4 visits and hard knocking he answered the door with a $50 check and said I'll have the rest next week. I plainly told him that if he didn't pay me what he owed me right then he was going to get every bit of the monkey grass back dumped in his front yard because we raked it into piles and bagged it and I hadn't trashed it yet. His attitude got really bad but I got all of my money. After I had my check in hand I told him not to schedule work if he doesn't have the money or doesn't plan to pay....then he had the nerve to ask me when could I do the pine needles.

Go get your money...I would make myself an everyday fixture on his front porch until I got it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-09-2011, 03:55 PM
For peats sake don't keep mowing that guy's lawn. Stop right away.
Next time, take a cut or two down, then you wont get crapped too bad if they don't pay eventually.

Runner
07-09-2011, 03:56 PM
I plainly told him that if he didn't pay me what he owed me right then he was going to get every bit of the monkey grass back dumped in his front yard because we raked it into piles and bagged it and I hadn't trashed it yet.

This happened here in Flint, and this was the result...

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/local&id=5476859

G780
07-09-2011, 04:04 PM
the sad part is for $72.00 there is nothing you can really do. You will probaly spend more money trying to collect the money then its really worth. Next time it may be worth while to ensure they atleast pay you half first.

epm
07-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Thats hilarious! You guys dont mess around in flint do ya? Id be scared to do a door collection up there. End up with a Glock in my face. :gunsfirin
That idiot should be made an example of though. Probably didnt wanna go through the court process for fear they may find his warrants. lol

QLM
07-09-2011, 09:04 PM
I do the block them in their drive trick early in the morn. I pull my huge friggin truck right behind them and read the paper and drink coffee until they are on the way to work. When you make it hard for them to earn a buck you will get yours. They will be pissed but if you don't move you will get your money. That one has never failed me. I had one call the cops one time but still got paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
07-09-2011, 09:09 PM
....bottom line, grow a set and dont back down.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

topsites
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Some of you folks suggesting a lot of these things are illegal!
You can, and will go to jail !

That's right, what do you think stops me from burning down their house?
You didn't think it was some deep-seated sense about right and wrong, like maybe I shouldn't do that?
Because that doesn't do much at all for me.

What stops me from torching their chalet is 20 to life.
That slows me down tons.

You "do something about it" and you can, and will go to jail !

soloscaperman
07-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Actually when I got in a fight with my ex's parents and we broke up I plowed their driveway in and the cop said it wasn't illegal and that I should not go any where near there house though (future wise). He didn't even hand me a warning. This was a few years ago a FEW DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

cut level
07-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Best thing I read in here was "dnt back down," your 72 is just as important as any amount owed to any LCO in my opinion. I have an account giving me a little hassle this year right now as a matter of fact. Guy is a new customer did a cleanup and mowed 3 times there after. He owes me about 250. Has missed his date he set to pay me 4 times now and ran outside to catch me so I didn't mow on his regularly scheduled day. I let it ride for 3 different promise to pay days and this past Thursday I snapped on him when he said he didn't have the money. I'M not gonna say on here what I said cause some may take offense but I had to get this guys attention and I did get it very good and my 18 yr old nephew said dang uncle you talked to him pretty funky. I said I hope he got the message that needed my MFN money and i ain't messing around. See it pissed me off even worse when they guy responded to me by saying sorry I ain't rich like you!! That flew all over me and that's whehe got a good cussing. We were 9 miles from town in the country so i wouldn't have acted like this if it had been ANYONE around such as neighbors or such. It was just the right sitting for me to make my point crystal clear to him. I don't like confrontations and only been in one fight in my life and don't care to ever do it again but getting my bluff in on someone is crucial i controlling a situation. Now is property has an extra week and 3 days worth of growth on it and it's gonna cost him the same as it did to clean it up and if he doesn't want to do that I will drop him but im gonna get my money before I mow you can bet
Posted via Mobile Device

GrassGuerilla
07-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Collecting deadbeat accounts has to be the worst part of this business. It's amazing how much some of us are willing to do to keep a customer. I find deadbeats to be unworthy of my time. Once I have real trouble collecting, (even good customers are sometimes late or broke) I simply stop services after the second cut. No pay... No work. Send 3 invoices, call 8-10 times, I'll even stop and knock (provided it's not out of my way). Further efforts have proven largely fruitless. How much more time and energy do you want to spend chasing someone who won't (or can't) pay? Although it's satisfying to be paid, often the time involved simply isn't worth it.

My energy is better spent servicing good customers. I'm not saying just let it slide, just that you have to measure the value of your time in pursuing someone who doesn't respect your hard work. I came to this realization years ago when I first entered the grass biz. At the time I was going to school, and cutting grass at a trailer court (mostly retired folks). $20 cut, trim & blow. Jobs took 20-30 minutes with a pushmower. If it took more than a few minutes to get paid, I was better off not doing it. To this day, if it takes too much effort to get paid... Find better customers, and focus your energy on them. Also, I've found dwelling on the deadbeats kills my morale and saps my motivation.

Stay safe out there!
G.G.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pietro
07-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Here is your solution. Call the local post office and see how much it will cost you to send him a certified letter. Its usually around $5.00. Then add a "Certified Letter" fee to his bill, and go to the post office and sent it to his house. This is proof that your attempted to send him a bill, whether he accepts it from the mailman or not. Then, if he still doesnt pay, you can go to small claims court, and file suit (this costs $22 in NJ), and he might show up and pay you. When I deal with deadbeats I go to the Police Dept that has jurisdiction over their address. I bring a copy of my invoice, make a police report for theft of services, then take that report to the local municipal court and file charges for theft of services. That usually gets em to pay, because they get a letter from the state saying theyre being charged with theft of serviced. You sign complaints against them as an individual, not a company. So if youre not a registered company it will still work for you.

Before you go thru all of that, try knocking on the door and asking nicely, if he refuses to pay then get the last laugh by doing the above.

Grott
07-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Here is your solution. Call the local post office and see how much it will cost you to send him a certified letter. Its usually around $5.00. Then add a "Certified Letter" fee to his bill, and go to the post office and sent it to his house. This is proof that your attempted to send him a bill, whether he accepts it from the mailman or not. Then, if he still doesnt pay, you can go to small claims court, and file suit (this costs $22 in NJ), and he might show up and pay you. When I deal with deadbeats I go to the Police Dept that has jurisdiction over their address. I bring a copy of my invoice, make a police report for theft of services, then take that report to the local municipal court and file charges for theft of services. That usually gets em to pay, because they get a letter from the state saying theyre being charged with theft of serviced. You sign complaints against them as an individual, not a company. So if youre not a registered company it will still work for you.

*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

QLM
07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
You guys with spending more time and money! Block this low life in his drive and be done with it. You will invest an hour or two. He will have to go to work! You will get your check it might not be good bit you will get one. If you can take credit cards then you swipe it from your phone. Now you are talking about 72 bucks! At 3.50 a gallon you will spend way more than 72 bucks chasing your tail on this.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUT1
07-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Dont listen to those saying "block him in" or "stay at his house and dont go away"

While it sounds nice, you are now committing a criminal offense to try to solve a civil matter.

Ive been on both sides of this.

Ive been in a position of not being able to get paid. At that point, i would get ahold of the customer one way or another and find out why.

Ive been in the position of owing money and not being able to pay also. Which was usually a result of me not getting paid.

I would explain the situation to them, let them know i was working my butt off trying to get the money, and i would contact them when i could pay them. I flat out didnt have the money, so i couldnt pay them.

There were some that were reasonable and others that pulled the stunts that some describe on here.

I had enough stress trying to get paid that I didnt need the constant harassment piled on top of that.

Its business.

Ive had people bang on my door at 10:00 at night. I answer, politely tell them they can call me at work the next day, and to please leave the property. Then close the door.

If they replied, "Im not leaving until I get paid" I close the door, call the police, and follow through with signing the complaint and pressing charges.

I had an employee working on a weekend doing work on a truck. He, without my authorization, hired a friend of his to help do the job. The friend wanted $300 and out of nowhere, started harassing me for it.

I had no idea who he was, never had permission to be in my shop, and now hes blocking my entrance not allowing my crews to leave in the morning until I paid him.

Another call to the police and he was hauled off and his car towed to the impound.

Call me 10 times a day after I have already given you an answer.....Ill press harassment charges.
If you dont like my answer, then simple. Take me to court. Do it legal.
Thats my take from the otherside.

ALC-GregH
07-10-2011, 02:42 PM
I had a woman try to tell me I only cut her grass 3 times. I was there to cut it for the forth time. She kept denying it so I told her to keep it, you're not worth the time of day. It was $140 but I'll be damn if I'm going to keep chasing her around to get it. By the time I would drive there and my time, I'll have even more invested. It's just not worth the headache.

I dropped a customer yesterday. They have 2 dogs. After a month of back and forth on cleaning up after them, there's still piles everywhere. She said the grass gets too long to see it! WTF? I actually had the nerve to ask her if she ever tasted dog crap! I told her, her dogs crap doesn't taste good and that I'm tired of eating it.

Next thing that happens, they hire a company to come in and give the flowerbeds a complete makeover! I show up to cut the lawn and there's a tree service company there working doing the flowerbeds! Again, WTF? I explained in detail to them of all my services. Which include everything the other company was there doing and then some. She played dumb and said, "Oh, I didn't know you did that stuff". On top of all that. The morons left a strip of grass less then 12" wide between the flowerbeds. You can't even use a string trimmer, otherwise the sub par mulch job they did will have grass clippings all through it.

I called them yesterday and left a message that I won't be servicing their property anymore.

ALC-GregH
07-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Oh yeah, they have plenty of money.

Husqman
07-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Roundup bomb his yard you might feel better after that. Atleast that is what I would do.

Snapper Jack
07-10-2011, 04:25 PM
I actually had the nerve to ask her if she ever tasted dog crap! I told her, her dogs crap doesn't taste good and that I'm tired of eating it.

That question you asked your client,ended your lawn services.:hammerhead::waving: