PDA

View Full Version : Tired of QuickPro in Beds

marshdawg
07-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I am using quick pro with a lesco sufactant and I think the results while spot spraying beds is lackluster at best. How long should I expect for a kill of most weeds in a bed. I know there are all kinds of different weeds with different tolerances and degrees of control. What do y'all use as your go-to bed spray for weeds? What is your favorite chemical to use? Length of time for kill... etc.etc...

Firefighter337
07-08-2011, 10:28 PM
glyphosate pro 2 oz to the gallon with 2,4d 1 oz to the gallon

Landscape Poet
07-09-2011, 01:04 AM
I am using quick pro with a lesco sufactant and I think the results while spot spraying beds is lackluster at best. How long should I expect for a kill of most weeds in a bed. I know there are all kinds of different weeds with different tolerances and degrees of control. What do y'all use as your go-to bed spray for weeds? What is your favorite chemical to use? Length of time for kill... etc.etc...

Mix to the highest recommendation on the label - usually do not add the extra sticker and have good luck with wilt in 24 hours on most weeds. On occasion I mix lighter and have mixed results dependent on what is getting sprayed that day in the beds. The only time I have used the extra sticker is when burning out lawns. Are you sure your applications are not getting moisture from irrigation or rain fall shortly after your application?

Ric
07-09-2011, 08:51 AM
marshdawg

You can try REWARD the AI is Diquat and it is a contact acid that burns down herbaceous tissue in under 2 hours at high rate.

The advantage to Reward is quick kill and little off target damage. I like it around Hibiscus because they are so susceptible to Glyphosate.

The disadvantage is, It is not a systemic. Weed plants with shallow or smaller root systems will stay dead because there isn't enough carbohydrate energy to grow back. Larger weed may grow back from the root.

South Florida Lawns
07-10-2011, 12:47 AM
If you keep on top of your beds and don't let the weeds get outta control you save tons of time and product.

Florida Gardener
07-10-2011, 08:28 AM
If you keep on top of your beds and don't let the weeds get outta control you save tons of time and product.

Good point that I agree with. I think in the summer, weekly weed control to some degree is necessary. They just grow and germinate so fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Good point that I agree with. I think in the summer, weekly weed control to some degree is necessary. They just grow and germinate so fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guys

Weed control in the Beds is what sets the scrub apart from the Quality Lawn Boy. If you take the time and care to do constant Weed management. Then you take care to do the total job correctly.

Ric
07-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Just wanted to add KEEPING SPRINKLERS OPEN, EDGEING and PROPER CUTTING HEIGHT are marks of Quality work along with WEED CONTROL IN BEDS. Or course showing up on time regular etc is a given.

South Florida Lawns
07-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Just wanted to add KEEPING SPRINKLERS OPEN, EDGEING and PROPER CUTTING HEIGHT are marks of Quality work along with WEED CONTROL IN BEDS. Or course showing up on time regular etc is a given.

Another mark of quality is changing cut patterns so you don't have ruts, cant stand the guys on 60's with a damn Nascar track going on. I mean some places I see looks like they don't even have to steer once in the ruts the mower just tracks them.

Also if there's grass that needs cut twice we will dbl cut.

Ric
07-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Another mark of quality is changing cut patterns so you don't have ruts, cant stand the guys on 60's with a damn Nascar track going on. I mean some places I see looks like they don't even have to steer once in the ruts the mower just tracks them.

South

I call that Rail Road Tracks and I see it all the time. It is the mark of the fool who can name every part number on his mower but can only tell the type of grass he cuts is Green.

Chief Scalpem Up Does a find job every two weeks and the Cheap Homeowner think they are saving money by letting him ruin their lawn.

Eric E
07-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I like the dull blade guys and the blow it in the road/storm drain guys

Florida Gardener
07-10-2011, 09:00 PM

That is a huge one. I will double cut too if it needs it and more likely than not in the thick of the summer on nice lawns, double cutting is necessary. We expect customers to pay as through the winter when less work is required, we need to give them the same in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
07-10-2011, 10:23 PM
we should start a thread on what we do that sets us apart from our competition.

Eric E
07-10-2011, 11:04 PM
good idea SF Lawns

Gem Tang
07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
I use Garlon 4 and never have any problems and it kills everything

RBatten
07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
On a side note, does anyone know of a chemical that can be sprayed in azeleas to kill the wonderful FL vines?

billslawn89
07-20-2011, 08:03 PM
That is a huge one. I will double cut too if it needs it and more likely than not in the thick of the summer on nice lawns, double cutting is necessary. We expect customers to pay as through the winter when less work is required, we need to give them the same in the summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh ya! i've been doing alot of double cutting lately! i cut the lawn at the normal deck setting, then change direction and raise the deck setting one notch to chop up the clippings.. looks like you bagged the lawn after i'm done with it.

Florida Gardener
07-20-2011, 09:27 PM
oh ya! i've been doing alot of double cutting lately! i cut the lawn at the normal deck setting, then change direction and raise the deck setting one notch to chop up the clippings.. looks like you bagged the lawn after i'm done with it.

Between June and sept it is necessary on nice lawns or Bahia. But, the offset is in the winter when you fly through the yard due to little growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
07-20-2011, 09:54 PM
On a side note, does anyone know of a chemical that can be sprayed in azeleas to kill the wonderful FL vines?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200418324_200418324, in Azalea's this would be my suggestion.

jvanvliet
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Try Sahara... :laugh:

mdlwn1
07-21-2011, 04:59 PM
South

I call that Rail Road Tracks and I see it all the time. It is the mark of the fool who can name every part number on his mower but can only tell the type of grass he cuts is Green.

Chief Scalpem Up Does a find job every two weeks and the Cheap Homeowner think they are saving money by letting him ruin their lawn.

lol....they drive a Dodge most of the time....just an observation.

greendoctor
07-22-2011, 02:07 AM
Try Sahara... :laugh:

Krovar + Oust or a mix of Velpar + Karmex also works very well, add some Banvel and Garlon if vines are a problem. No weeds, even if the growing season is 12 months, promise :dizzy:

Seriously, I have been lurking in this thread since it came up. I do not like any glyphosate around ornamentals unless it is a species that is partially tolerant. Otherwise, my weed control is based on an intensive rotated preemergent program and usage of contacts/selectives on emerged weeds. If I must use glyphosate, it is commonly done with a paint on type of applicator. Vines such as morning glory or stink vine get painted with Garlon on the stems. I can hear the crying about the time involved. I get paid to kill weeds, not to have to hand pull them and certainly not to kill desirable ornamentals in the process of killing the weeds. The service provider prior to me was probably fired because he misused RoundUp or he had to spend hours every month pulling weeds with no end in sight.