PDA

View Full Version : Keeping employees through winter?

tillerkiller
07-08-2011, 11:09 PM
How do you do this? While we have snow removal, that is completely up to mother nature. Do you allow the employees you'd like to keep to draw unemployment? When I say allow, I mean allow to do so without letting them go afterwords? Really looking for opinions.

pinto n mwr
07-08-2011, 11:24 PM
if you let them go after "the season", layoff, regardless or not if you want to keep the "good" ones, you will still pay benefits to the "bad" ones

tillerkiller
07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm actually the employee, who does a rather important job thoroughly and is can do any other job the company asks in a very sufficient matter. I feel as though I have a great boss but I am somewhat afraid to ask whats ahead in the winter months when I know I won't be working. I love my job and everything else that goes along with it, which is why I'm inquiring.

lukemelo216
07-09-2011, 11:02 AM
you can ask him what is ahead for the winter, if you guys work or just go on layoff. I know some companies around here will do hardscaping in the winter, or build decks, etc to keep the work flowing. Most likely though you will go on layoff, in which you get to collect unemployment, then plow snow as you need to throughout the winter. The weeks you plow you get paid by your employer and depending on the hours you worked you may or may not recieve unemployment that week.

ed2hess
07-09-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm actually the employee, who does a rather important job thoroughly and is can do any other job the company asks in a very sufficient matter. I feel as though I have a great boss but I am somewhat afraid to ask whats ahead in the winter months when I know I won't be working. I love my job and everything else that goes along with it, which is why I'm inquiring.

I would not be afraid to ask.....you might tell him some of the things
that you can do....like paint. Maybe you could get him to do tree work durnign the winter and split firewood to sell.

seabee24
07-10-2011, 12:41 PM
If your boss is smart and not a prick....just ask him and see what he says.

If he is a good boss and smart with his money, he will see the value in keeping you on board for the entire winter. I had one guy on my staff, Granded, it's less hours, and he takes a pay cut because the only thing I have him do is busy work.... It he gets a pay check, and come spring I know that he is good to run his own crew
Posted via Mobile Device

motown1
07-12-2011, 04:25 PM
We had a employee quit, for health reasons, now we are struggling to find good reliable help for the remaining summer months. We are a small company building, trying not to use credit, so we can not pay someone this summer. However hoping by next summer we can. Any suggestions as to where to find a employee? Thanks!!

motown1
07-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry this winter.

Mark Oomkes
07-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I don't remember the specifics, but the employer has no choice in paying UA to a laid off employee due to lack of work. They have to work a certain number of days or hours to be eligible, but once they are, unless fired for cause, it must be paid.

It's sort of stupid not to, it's really the employee's money to begin with.

Who preps the equipment for next season?

tillerkiller
10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys! I've not come around to asking just yet, but plan to do so soon. I really don't forsee it being too big an issue. I'm either worked or I take unemployment, I don't really have a choice.

There are a few full-time employees through the winter who have been there many years. They do the prepping and whatnot.

Ijustwantausername
10-29-2011, 08:38 AM
If they are working for me and I don't have work for them in the winter, is it up to them to draw unemployment? How does this process work? Or would it be up to me to do it as the boss?

GreenI.A.
10-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Its up to them, they file for UI, then UI will contact you to confirm info. As of Monday my labor is layed off and the can collect. My skilled guys will have hours reduced to 1 day a week once the season is over. They can collect the difference in pay.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
11-05-2011, 09:26 PM
The last I knew in my state you collect 1/2 off what you gross up till $405 a week plus an extra $20 or $25 stimulus from the US gov. and collect for 26 weeks with an extended 60 something weeks for a total of 90 something weeks of benefits provided by the Feds.

Thing is working 40 hrs and having your hours cut I don't think qualifies one for unemployment. However being let go. A person can pick up temporary work. For every day they work they lose 25% of that weekly benefit. Work four days no Unemployment check for that week.

So ones employer could bring one of their laid off workers back on a temp basis to do snow removal, say for two days in one week.

When filing that weeks Unemploy. claim the laid off worker just states that he worked for two days so he will lose 50% of that weeks check. And the state doesn't even ask who you worked for, for those two days.

If he does not work the following week he gets his full unemploy check for that week.

tillerkiller
11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
At what point do most employees file for unemployment? I've worked two days in the past 2 week. Mainly due to weather but that's what happens this time of year. Just worried about upsetting my boss.

supercuts
11-30-2011, 09:57 AM
all of you asking questions shouldnt take any of our words, you should look up unemployement online, call and speak to someone in your state. i think each state is different. dont listen to us, listen to those in that state dept.

deffinately ask your boss. you dont have to come out and ask directly like "do you want me to file unemployement?". you can phase it like, "what do we do for work in the winter, do you have enough to keep us busy or do we file unemployment or anything esle?"

Kindarring
12-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Our company does a layoff every year (about 6 weeks). What we do is tell them up front and also give them the first day of layoff and the day of hire back. In Maryland if you have those dates then you do not have to look for jobs (since a temp layoff). My guys see it as a Vacation really. I have yet to lose anyone over this type of layoff. Now with them knowing these days up front they will try to save alittle money to off set the pay cut (if any). The biggest problem I get with this layoff is my guys gain some weight and takes them a few days when they come back to fit back inside thier pants :)

Ijustwantausername
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
The biggest problem I get with this layoff is my guys gain some weight and takes them a few days when they come back to fit back inside thier pants :)

Haha, shoot that's my problem right now. But, it happens every year, usually 10 lbs or so.

TMlawncare
12-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't remember the specifics, but the employer has no choice in paying UA to a laid off employee due to lack of work. They have to work a certain number of days or hours to be eligible, but once they are, unless fired for cause, it must be paid.

It's sort of stupid not to, it's really the employee's money to begin with.

?
Will its not the employees money to begin with. Why, because the employees do not pay into unemployment. Not state or federal. The employers does. Its the employers money that is paying the tab.

This being said, I have no problem with my employees drawing unemployment. My two full timers just filed a week ago. They have a definite hire back date and will help with snow removal over the winter. Its really only smart business.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC
12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
At what point do most employees file for unemployment? I've worked two days in the past 2 week. Mainly due to weather but that's what happens this time of year. Just worried about upsetting my boss.

You should be able to collect your benefits with any reduction in normal pay/hours, and if I were you I would file right away, any boss or human being would understand your concern for your reduction in pay and ability to maintain your livelyhood and household....

Turfdude
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Up til this year, I have kept my main guy since '99 thru the winter (30 hrs a week max). I laid my 3 crew chiefs and last laborer off 12/22 and will lay my foreman off this Friday. Re-hires will commence mid-February to early March. I can no longer (with this economy) to keep guys on employment during winter months. For snow hours, they can do the partial unemployment thing, or we'll "bank their hours" until the spring and add them in then. We do pay an accelerated snow rate 40 hrs pay for 25 hrs work (60%) above normal pay rates.

93Chevy
12-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Where I work, we put 5-10 guys on layoff or partial layoff and keep about 6 guys full-time (35-40 hrs) to take care of stuff around the shop and do our erosion control maintenance while it's not snowing.