PDA

View Full Version : dump truck or dump trailer?

Ethanslawn
07-09-2011, 11:05 PM
i have been lookin to expand by buying another vehicle or trailer this was my first year in business and realized if i wanna grow i need another vehicle than my personal one (in case of down time). So i was hopein someone would give some advice on which one would be better another truck or trailer. now i do plan on plowing so that is why i am leaning to another truck i have been lookin at a few 1990s ford 4x4 dumps some with autos and some with manuals so just wasnt sure what to look out for i know the big items are transmissions, injectors and just general body shape (rust and dents and etc.)

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I have both and truck is better you dump ur load in one pile
Tire wear on a truck better then the trailer
But Trailer is nice doing rock jobs can drive skidloader up in the trailer to load no mess on the ground
My trailer has a spread gate so can spread rock with less mess
My dump trailer is a 14' GNeck and its low to ground

Ethanslawn
07-10-2011, 12:33 AM
i dont have large landscaping jobs mostly mulch and tree trimming and large leaf pickups in the fall as of right now though.

White Gardens
07-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Just depends on what you can afford right now I guess. If you don't have the extra hauling work, then I would go with a dump trailer. It will be cheaper for now until you get into more jobs that require hauling. With a dump trailer also, you will get more capacity weight wise out of it for now over a dump truck.

Now, in my case, I went with a dump. My first truck had a 2 ton capacity. The main reason I bought it was that I wanted a dedicated plow truck so I didn't have to tear up my S-10. The only problem is that 2 tons was a small load for a lot of things.

Now I have a C3500HD that is a 16k truck. I can haul 3.5 tons and that makes a big difference when getting materials for landscaping jobs.

Ultimately I think I would still like a dump trailer to expand my capacity between the truck and trailer for the big stuff.

4 seasons lawn&land
07-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Leaf pickups. They would be a pain if your having to go in with your equipment trailer to round them up to the road or driveway and then come back with your dump trailer to load them up. I have a 7 ton dump trailer. It has its advantages but for the most part a truck is more versatile because you can still tow whatever else.

Ultimately both is the answer. Im working on a larger dump but I'll keep the trlr when I get the truck. I have an insert in my 3/4 ton too. You cant have too many things that dump!

Ethanslawn
08-03-2011, 11:20 PM
And what do you run with both the trucks and trailer just the basic truck loader or have you upgraded with a larger tow behind unit or ???

Pro-Lawn&Grounds
08-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Dump Trailer ... it doubles as an equipment trailer ... can be left on a site while you go do an estimate or w.e. ... on mowing days you aren't pulling a trailer behind a dump you can hardly see out of ... they're just so much more versatile ... I hope to get one soon ... I am however converting my pick up to a SRW Flatbed Dump ... but thats just for like grass clippings and the likes

Ethanslawn
08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
i figured that you wouldnt be able to see out of the trailer with a dump truck and enclosed or open trailer. The problem i have is i am a solo guy with the basic one truck one trailer. And i figured when my main truck would go down i would have a backup (2500 pickup). the dump i figured would better suit me with just the basic pickup or leaves and misc. items the othe thing is i have been doing a lot of odd jobs to stay busy because mowing has slowed so i would a better unloading time and again a spare truck. the other i find funny is a 1 ton dump is about the same cost of a new dump trailer and i would put a truck loader on it so thus i figured the truck would be more benefical

Barrett Landscaping
08-05-2011, 09:37 PM
to insure a dump truck is almost as much per year as it is to get a nice used dump trailer. unless you are going to use the dump truck EVERY day and for things that it would be difficult for a trailer to do.... that trailer is the better choice until you can fully commit to such an expense.

Ethanslawn
08-05-2011, 10:15 PM
i have weighted the two options and i looking to grow so i could afford either one im am one those guys who waits for the right buy to come buy as you said barret landscaping

DIXIECONTRACTING
08-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Buy a dump trailer. I did and here is why:
1) No insurance needed on trailer
2) Can leave on jobs and have guys working while I go get other materials or go to another job.
3) Can haul more depending on trailer size.
4) Don't have to haul the weight of a dump body around when not needed ( I use a 1 ton pickup to pull my trailer )

Addison Landscaping
08-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Check this out... what are your thoughts on price and options... looks good and the price is reasonable??

Thoughts...
http://www.highlinemotorsofwestchester.com/vehicle/3374726/2006-Ford-Super-Duty-F-350-SRW-Supercab-158-XLT-Ossining-New-York-10562

Ethanslawn
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
the truck is used but to make it nice i would paint the bed and letter (to make it look less used) and the price is a bit high to i would say 14-15k i know its a 1-ton diesel but thats a big truck if you wanna put a plow on it and the dump is nice if you have grass and leaves and minor-meduim leaf job but the back springs do take a beating so i might put helpers or air springs. and the dial 4x4 i was not much of a fan being electronice in case something would go wrong.

Lawn Pawn
08-26-2011, 11:50 AM
This is the route I have gone... being solo and very few accounts.

Built up a couple ton dump trucks.. had a Ford 350.. then an Isuzu NPR, loved that NPR. Just too much expense for insurance, fuel and normal maint. to justify keeping for my limited use.

I do want a unit to haul and dump so I am putting together an eight foot dump insert on my fourteen foot steel tandem trailer. So far all is proceeding well... hope to post photos when completed.

This would be an on/off as needed dump. A dedicated dump trailer would be GREAT... just too much money sitting idle again.

For me... this should be perfect, might not be for others. Will be pulling with a 2011 Canyon 4WD Z package.

KrayzKajun
08-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I decided to go the route of a dump trailer. Can leave it at a site and go do whtever... Can rent it out to other contractors etc...
Posted via Mobile Device

redprospector
08-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Get a big deposit, or a credit card, or something worth a lot of money if you decide to rent it out to other contractors.
I rented mine out to a guy I trusted once for a couple of days. He didn't give me near enough to cover the 2 new wheels, and 4 new tires I had to buy. Oh, I almost forgot the hydraulic hose he hung on a stump and the 2 gallons of fluid.

Andy

turf&tree
09-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I have a 6x10 carryon dump trailer. The best money I ever spent! 10,000 lb capacity. I pull it with a 4x4 f-150 v-8. My other trailer is a modified 6x12 carryon landscape trailer. Can do 2 jobs with one truck. To fully insure the dump trailer is $ 25.00 per year and it does not burn any fuel. Easy to load over extended wooden sides. Can ramp debris up into it. Try that with a dump truck!
In the fall I mount the leaf loader to the front and leave it there. No removing to dump. Dual action tailgate. All in all a great purchase. One downfall the geniuses at carryon made it so if you park next to the curb the tailgate swings into the street instead of onto the tree lawn. Brilliant, NOT!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
09-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I would say dump truck, because its another vehicle you can plow with in the winter, it is also more that could break, but the ford f-series are generally pretty reliable trucks, but just like any older truck that was worked they could need some attention. and as far a fuel economy goes, the dump truck should get pretty close to the same as a regular 1 ton as long you drive easy, and i mean keeping the rpms down below 2,000 all the time, if its diesel it should be around 14-15mpg which isn't that bad. I know my truck doesn't change towing or not, consistently gets 15.7-16.9 mpg, city/highway mix, with 265's and 4.10's which I love having. I plan on buying an f350 or 450 dump with 7.3 diesel next year for plowing even though my dad has an 04 fuso cab over I can use anytime, which I do. but its 2wd and that really makes a difference.

pitrack
09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I know you said you mostly need it for leaves but you never know where your company will go from there. I have a 14' dump trailer and wish I had a 4500 dump truck. There have been so many times where I go to dump heavy weight in the trailer in awkward conditions (In the dirt/mud on slopes) where pulling around a heavy dump trailer is a pain and actually kind of scary at times. It's hard on the truck pulling around a big dump trailer if that is your only trailer. (My trailer is around 4500#'s empty, luckily I have anoher trailer but not sure if you do or not).

I'm just saying keep in mind all the variables, where will you be dumping your materials? You would be amazed how hard it is to pull a heavy dump trailer up a slope when the ground is moist, it's like pulling an anchor. But at the same time if all you're hauling is leaves then you won't need a real heavy duty trailer. I always like to get more than enough because sooner or later you're wishing you would have gone bigger/stronger.

DaveyBlue32
09-07-2011, 09:51 PM
A good trailer with good brakes is the way I go...you can pull it with any 1/2 ton and it makes money...not cost money. A pull truck should be a 350 or so as the breaks and frame are going to ware better. Look at used airport pull trucks...real short bed...take the iron plates off it and change the gears in the rear and your off to the races...just got one running great for $800...good luck

nepatsfan
09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I would buy a dump truck. If you are planning on plowing you will be able to use it for that. If it breaks down you still have your personal truck so you have a back up. I think that it is good to have a work vehicle and a personal one for a one man show. You said you dont do much landscaping so heavier materials wont matter much. Mulch and leaves you can load it up. You also dont have a trailer to worry about for tighter areas.

I am not saying that dump trailers aren't good and they work for a lot of guys but I think you will be better off with the truck...just my $.02

RSK Property Maintenance
09-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Alot of positive things have been said about the dump truck and they are all spot on, my next purchase after a new big tex 18' 70pi and scag cheetah and little wonder walk behind blower will be a dump truck, so I don't have to use my dads anymore and in the winter I will have another vehicle to plow with and it will be used for business use only not personal like truck now.
Posted via Mobile Device