PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for a herbicide to soak in the leaves and be safe?

bigslick7878
07-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Example- I spray a herbicide weed killer(standard stuff Weed B gone whatever...), how long before the leaves uptake the spray and there is no danger to animals and what not?

On the bottle it says it is rain proof within 30 minutes, but I know it must take longer for any herbicide to really soak in. A day? Two? A Mowing?

I will explain why I am asking this after a few responses.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Wouldnt mow for cpl days no pets on lawn for a day What I tell customers

vencops
07-10-2011, 03:15 AM
What does the label say (as far as danger to animals)?

White Gardens
07-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Generally it just says no re-entry to site until dry.

Now, if you look at the agriculture application restrictions, it says no re-entry without PPE's for one week.

Quit the variable.

bx24
07-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I have kids and show dogs & spray Eagle 20EW (when needed), Merit generic, Dimension or Per-M etc on my complete yard. Where the kids/animals go, I fence off half the yard and spray or whatever. Sprinklers run for 1" a week. Next week I rotate and do the same...

I just do not wait till dry since my kid and dogs are not worth the risk...

Exact Rototilling
07-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I have kids and show dogs & spray Eagle 20EW (when needed), Merit generic, Dimension or Per-M etc on my complete yard. Where the kids/animals go, I fence off half the yard and spray or whatever. Sprinklers run for 1" a week. Next week I rotate and do the same...

I just do not wait till dry since my kid and dogs are not worth the risk...
Excellent answer +1
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
07-10-2011, 02:29 PM
What is your daytime temps?????

Now did you add a surfactant to this mixture.

bigslick7878
07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Temps around 90. Summer...hot...humid around here.

RigglePLC
07-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Good question. A few years ago when 2,4-D was under strong attack by green faction. A number of experiments were done to elucidate this. In Canada, if I recall. Lawns were sprayed and then at intervals of a few minutes, graduate student volunteers walked on the lawns wearing paper shoes over rubber boots. The paper shoes were soaked in solvents and the micrograms of 2,4-D were anayzed. I think they found that once the solution had dried, very little of the 2,4-D could be rubbed off on the paper shoes. The experiments were repeated by rubbing cheesecloth on the treated grass. And barefoot volunteers walked on the grass--their urine was analyzed to detect how much was absorbed. Once dry people can absorb only a small amount.

Think Green
07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
2-4D crystallizes once it dries......just look around the lid on your containers.
There is a new product that is supposed to be amine that is suspended in gel form.
Forgive me for not being precise as I only read the label once.........this is how I understand the product to be. I believe it is called Trimec 1000. It contains 2-4DEA
Either way, you should have curl, decline, and chlorosis is as little as 7-14 days.

bigslick7878
07-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Reason why I ask is because I sprayed on 6/18, and a dog got "sick" (allegedly) on 7/3.

Yeah....2 weeks later.

I tried explaining there is no way the stuff I sprayed caused that, to no avail.

Think Green
07-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Please elaborate more............What size, breed, and age of dog is it? If the pet became sick and a vet visit was taken........fecal samples and blood toxicology would give way to poisoning. I highly doubt it otherwise.
I tell customers to keep all pets off the grass just as humans........for 24 hours after treatment. After the grass dries, it is presumed the products has absorbed and is safe for reentry. The funny thing is..............This side of the industry calls for following the labels completely. Agriculture labels have restricted-entry level periods. I guarantee it is usually 48 hours. This is from the Trimec 992 label......Agricultural section for workers.

capetrees
07-10-2011, 09:04 PM
No way the dog got sick from what you sprayed that long after. Without proof from the vet, there's no way to place blame. The dog got sick how, vomitting, lethargic, blind, dizzy? If it took two weeks of staying off the grass after spraying, theres no way any pesticide would ever be able to be applied!

I call BS on the owners.

Think Green
07-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Bigslick,

Now, understand this question because it often asked. During the application did, at any time, you or the spray tech accidentally spray any dog toys or dog play area such as the kennel or bathing spot.?
I am with you on not believing that within two weeks, this dog suddenly became ill, however, herbicides do soak into plastics,etc. you know!!!
I am curious because we all learn from each other and whatnot.

bigslick7878
07-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Bigslick,

Now, understand this question because it often asked. During the application did, at any time, you or the spray tech accidentally spray any dog toys or dog play area such as the kennel or bathing spot.?
I am with you on not believing that within two weeks, this dog suddenly became ill, however, herbicides do soak into plastics,etc. you know!!!
I am curious because we all learn from each other and whatnot.

Nope, sprayed maybe a 50x50 area nowhere near the house. Nothing but grass got sprayed, nothing else around.(it is a long narrow .75 acre lot with the house in the middle).

I called BS from jump street but this particular client (my father!) thinks he knows everything and just screamed at me how he had to pay $525 for a vet bill and how it was all my fault. I didn't get to the actual part of the details of how the dog was "sick" before the screaming started. He claimed that "you never know the dogs walk on the grass and then lick their paws" and I told him I DO know and there aint no way in hell something I sprayed weeks ago caused this stupid dog to get sick. Period. Grass was probably mowed 2-3 times as well so the grass I sprayed wasn't even there when the dog got "sick"!!

No clue exactly what the $525 was for, but I am guessing she told them to keep running tests that cost money, they couldn't find anything and that was that. Knowing the parties involved I would bet my bottom dollar there wasn't anything wrong with the dog....but that is a whole other story. I damn sure know I have NEVER taken a sick dog to the vet and got a $525 bill for it.

Anyway, I will be showing this thread to him.....anyone has anything else to add feel free.

24-48 hours is about what I thought too, just wanted some confirmation. Damn sure aint 2 weeks.

Breed is one of those little small dogs about 20lbs?, don't know what kind don't care I don't consider anything under 40lbs a dog anyway.

Runner
07-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Mid day spray (not too close to dew setting for evening) - High volume (1 to 2 gal/1000 sq. ft.) - about 2 hrs to dry. ULV (ultra low volume, like pg sprayers, .25 gal./1000 sq. ft.) - about an hour to dry (but I always have 2 hr. on my sos). Now, the little bit of actual ai (active ingredient) is so slight, that an animal would have to drink it as a quantity to become ill. However,...as a variable, if an animal is let back out say in the morning, when the grass is wet again with dew, more of the product will be absorbed dermally and into the hair around the feet. I an sure however, the doctor would concur that this type of contact and systemic absorbancy into an animal would show faster or more immediate effects than 2 weeks (especially as you say, the lawn was mowed). I would lean toward another cause, and coincidence. While I have sympathy for your father and his dog, and hope the dog is feeling better very soon, they may need to look in to other causes.

Smallaxe
07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Dogs eat grass...

bigslick7878
07-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Mid day spray (not too close to dew setting for evening) - High volume (1 to 2 gal/1000 sq. ft.) - about 2 hrs to dry. ULV (ultra low volume, like pg sprayers, .25 gal./1000 sq. ft.) - about an hour to dry (but I always have 2 hr. on my sos). Now, the little bit of actual ai (active ingredient) is so slight, that an animal would have to drink it as a quantity to become ill. However,...as a variable, if an animal is let back out say in the morning, when the grass is wet again with dew, more of the product will be absorbed dermally and into the hair around the feet. I an sure however, the doctor would concur that this type of contact and systemic absorbancy into an animal would show faster or more immediate effects than 2 weeks (especially as you say, the lawn was mowed). I would lean toward another cause, and coincidence. While I have sympathy for your father and his dog, and hope the dog is feeling better very soon, they may need to look in to other causes.

Thanks...good info.

RigglePLC
07-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I hope you used Gordon's Trimec--if you did they will give you advice and information. Be sure to ask what level ppm of 2,4-D was found in dog's urine. Experiments were conducted in conjunction with Chemlawn 25 years ago. They force-feed beagles with Chemlawn's lawn care solution. Trimec, urea, potash. No harm to the dogs resulted, (except for the one dog who nearly drowned because they shoved the tube into its lungs.) 2,4-D is excreted in the urine --mostly within 48 hours. I am thinking maybe Bob Partyka was one of the scientists involved.

greendoctor
07-13-2011, 03:40 AM
The dog would have to drink several ounces of undiluted concentrate to have a problem. Personally, I will not touch lawns that have outside dogs vs dogs that are house dogs except for when they have to do their business. Especially if the owner claims that their dog is allergic or sensitive to pesticides or they have a vet that is begging for a lawsuit concerning making false statements concerning pesticides. I fire uncooperative clients, what do you think I would do to a vet talking out of his azz?