PDA

View Full Version : North Carolinians?

10-21-2002, 09:28 PM
Well boys in our neck of the woods it's getting cold and the grass will soon become slow to grow. The fast paced days will give way to more relaxed ones and the question pops to my mind..............what will I do for income now?

How about you?

NC Big Daddy
10-22-2002, 12:19 AM
I'm guessing your customers are not on 12 month contracts?

Envy Lawn Service
10-22-2002, 02:41 AM
I try to use the off season to my advantage as much as possible. But I would be a lot more worried if this were my only source of income and I didn't have any annuals.

I try to do my best to sell all my customers on the winter fertilizing and get them scheduled. I am a firm believer that these feedings are some of the most important and shouldn't be skipped.

Then I try my best to get them to pay me to do all those little chores that needed doing but got neglected during the cutting season. i'll do any little thing just to keep a bit of something to do. I also like the fact that it keeps me in direct contact with my clients in the off season too.

Southern Lawns
10-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Reduce labor cost( keeping them on a short string) Good ones are hard to find. Do my year round residential and our commercial properties "solo". Watch football, rest a little and gear up for next March.
In the event I have a long stretch of days with nothing to do(never happens) I make myself available to a friend doing odd jobs in the home repair business. Painting, roofing etc. Helps him and keeps me moving.
But!!!! overall I enjoy the downtime Dec, Jan and Feb. cause I know it's full bore come March till Dec. financial planning helps.

Tony Harrell
10-22-2002, 05:41 AM
I'm incorporating structural pest control into my business. That way I'm in their homes all year round and can build both businesses from both sides.

awm
10-22-2002, 08:24 AM
well some leaves fell during drought . but around here they really havnt even started. this can be good if your customers accept that regular cleaning is just a way to avoid large leaf cleanup bills. this thing could go until christmas.
mabe mabe not.if the customer fusses remind them of all the missed cuttings during the drought.. heck just one little warm spell and my lawns would be hard to controll. conversely ,one freeze and the grass is dormant. good luck .

SLS
10-22-2002, 08:37 AM
After struggling through my first two seasons I finally learned the value of budgeting and saving up for the winter.

This, my 3rd season, will be the first one that I can actually kick back and not worry about the bills, taxes, and insurance. Finally! I will spend this winter learning all I can about the "in and outs" of hiring a good helper and working on ways to make next year even more profitable through 'add on' services. Gonna whittle away at the ol' 'honey-do list' and spend a couple of weeks in the Florida Keys too.

What a year! My gross is up by about 45% over last year and I was able to purchase a new TTHP to boot! And I'm better prepared for the leaf cleanups that start this week...so I'm shooting for 50%.

A 'special thanks' goes out to God....for the steady rainfall that we received this season....and for keeping me healthy. It did not allow for a mid-season break from the action (and I'm tired!) but it sure is gonna make this winter a lot easier to deal with. :)

Also another 'special thanks' goes out to my fellow members here at Lawnsite. The valuable advice given here taught me that tailoring my customer base, keeping a tight route, buying good equipment, utilizing time-saving methods and tools, and culling non-profitable PITA clients (and avoiding aquiring new ones in that catagory) also made a big difference in my business.

Finally, I can enjoy my winter break...instead of stressing out because of it! :D

Jusmowin
10-22-2002, 08:59 AM
I have 8 year round contracts, so I take care of those and also work at a large horse farm doing maintence for them. I also sell firewood, which is really good money around here. So,yes I like to stay busy.

Green Pastures
10-22-2002, 09:03 AM
All but two of my customers are on 12 month contracts, so I just sit back on the beach in Florida or Alabama's beautiful Gulf Coast and chill. Thanking God for the good life He's blessed me with.

Scott

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
10-22-2002, 10:42 AM
I plan on selling christmas trees :cool:

Eastview Landscaping
10-22-2002, 03:24 PM
I have about 45-47 accounts of which 25 are bi-weekly, with no mowing, just leaf and limb cleanup. Anyone looking for any extra work can let me know seems like I turn down work all the time.Haven't been able to keep a good helper, most around here (North Myrtle Beach SC) want to party it up and hang out at the bars. Roof & gutter cleaning also keeps me busy, and enjoying the family during Christmas always makes for entertaing times.
Prep equipment for spring and figure out where you had problems this past season. All was good here until we got a bunch of rain ( mid july or so )and the aphids tore up my Crepe Myrtles looking for new sprayer to help out.

heather
10-22-2002, 06:24 PM
We sell annual flower programs and along with commercial accounts we stay busy. Seems like we have alot of pine straw jobs in the winter. It is alittle slow after the first of the year. I let the employees do more of the physical work while I relax and get ready for taxes. Before I know it Easter is on Its way and the work really picks up.

Carolina Cutter
09-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Looks like fall cleanup for me. I was going to buy one of the Troy-built push vacs but after reading the posts on here, I think I'll pass. Gonna stick to my rider and my walk-behind. Other than that I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the ice storms (trees) and what else will come our way....

locutus
09-08-2003, 08:37 PM
several of my clients require year round service. dont get me wrong, not even remotely as busy as in spring/summer. to be quite honest with you i kind of look forward to the downtime.