PDA

View Full Version : wasps.....have you tried 'em?

Schlepie
10-21-2002, 10:30 PM
Have any of you guys used trichogramma wasps for any of your lawn care programs? If so, how do you charge for this? If some of you are not sure what these are, I can elaborate farther.

Schlep

The Lawn Choupique
10-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Do they have anything to do with yellow jackets?

1MajorTom
10-21-2002, 11:02 PM
biological pest control.
I have vaguely read about this. Seems the release time would be a very crucial part for its effectiveness and would probably need to be done repeatedly over the course of a few weeks?

This is done more for crops and orchards right?

LAWNGODFATHER
10-23-2002, 08:32 PM
Flagrent law suit waiting to happen.

Green Pastures
10-23-2002, 08:40 PM
There are enough stinging insects in Virginia. I'm not purposely loosing any on my properties, besides my clients would KILL me.

Scott

GroundKprs
10-23-2002, 11:53 PM
There are dozens of wasp species known to be parasitoids of other insects. They function by laying their eggs on or in the target insect. Then the egg hatches and the wasp larva consumes the host from inside.

This is one of the basic controls of aphids. That wasp is so small and quick, you really have to watch closely to see them in action. They are only about ¼" long (or is it 1/8"?), and the female lands on an aphid, injects a single egg, and flies off in less than a second. Another basic control of aphids is a ladybug larva; neat creature, looks like a 1/3" long alligator.

Don't make fun of or fear all wasp species. If all wasps were eliminated tomorrow, including the parasitoid wasps, the world would be knee deep in insects in a short time.

If you are really into biological control of insects, there are insectories (insect producing factories) located around the country. You order the proper predator insect when you have a problem, and the insect is shipped overnight to you.

Neatest one is the lacewing. You get a sheet of paper covered with lacewing eggs. Just cut pieces of paper and place on plant(s) being damaged. These eggs are set up and stored at insectory so they are ready to hatch when you recieve them. (As long as your temperatures are high enough for hatching.) Lacewings are so voracious, the female must first place ovipositor on a leaf, excrete a fluid that forms a hair-like stem, and lay her egg on top of the stem. When egg hatches, larva can crawl down the stem, but it can't crawl back up. Eggs are laid this way because if not, the first one to hatch would consume all the other eggs before they could hatch. And the diet of lacewings covers a lot of plant damaging insects.

Each variety of parasitoid wasps and each of the hundreds of varieties of lady bird beetles (ladybugs) usually target only a certain insect at a certain stage of its life cycle. Takes some time to leearn the proper predator to use at the right time, but is a really neat thing to see.

Studies have also shown that certain ants help control grubs, feeding mainly on the eggs before they hatch.

Schlep, I would of course just charge time and materials rates. But since this is a very perishable material, markup would be in the range of 200% to 500%, depending on the species used. But how does the trichogramma help in lawn care? Thought main use in this country is corn borers and a few other moth problems.