PDA

View Full Version : This guy calls me to trim some palms...

FLAhaulboy
07-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Plush neighborhood, 200+K homes. Guy called me to come trim bout 10 palm trees, take lower fronds off, cut off the fruit stems, Extension ladder work involved here, using a Stihl Kombi with (2) extensions, chainsaw attachment. Going to be a huge mess to haul away. So, I get there but he isn't home, I call his cell to discuss price, quote him the hourly rate+ $135 to haul the debris away, somewhere in the $450 price range. He said that was too high and he wasn't going to pay that amount. I said, okay then, goodbye. I figured he was a cheapskate and no way was I going to do that kind of work cheap. Really immaculate home and yard, pool with a fountain, spiral staircase in back to upward deck, big stone patio with a gas fireplace. Looks like he poured lots of $ into the property but wants to hire cheap labor to trim his palms, not me! :laugh: I doubt he is going to find anyone else who will do it cheaper:waving:

Ric
07-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Plush neighborhood, 200+K homes. Guy called me to come trim bout 10 palm trees, take lower fronds off, cut off the fruit stems, Extension ladder work involved here, using a Stihl Kombi with (2) extensions, chainsaw attachment. Going to be a huge mess to haul away. So, I get there but he isn't home, I call his cell to discuss price, quote him the hourly rate+ $135 to haul the debris away, somewhere in the $450 price range. He said that was too high and he wasn't going to pay that amount. I said, okay then, goodbye. I figured he was a cheapskate and no way was I going to do that kind of work cheap. Really immaculate home and yard, pool with a fountain, spiral staircase in back to upward deck, big stone patio with a gas fireplace. Looks like he poured lots of $ into the property but wants to hire cheap labor to trim his palms, not me! :laugh: I doubt he is going to find anyone else who will do it cheaper:waving:

FLA

The going rate in my area for triming Palms is about $ 25 each especially when there are 10 trees. As a Former Certified Arbortist who drop the Cert, it is my Humble opinion. Pole saws can't do a good job of triming palms and debooting them. I sure am not going to pay $ 45 each for a guy to stand on the ground and butcher my trees with a Power Pole Saw. But that is just my humble opinion. Apparently it is the same opinion of the guy you tried to over charge in Mine and his opinion.

williams lcm
07-11-2011, 07:01 PM
I have red neck looking guys come to my house looking to trim my trees dirt cheap. They did my neighbors for $35. Trimmed up trees and took off to get beer. Different ones show up throughout the month. They are cheap and these guys are a dime a dozen these days. Anyone with a truck and saw are out to make money. Or shall I say little money. If they get beer they are happy.

FLAhaulboy
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
"it is my Humble opinion. Pole saws can't do a good job of triming palms and debooting them."

The Stihl pole saw does an excellent job when used to trim fronds, doesn't butcher or cause splitting. A nice clean cut.

JDiepstra
07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
I have red neck looking guys come to my house looking to trim my trees dirt cheap. They did my neighbors for $35. Trimmed up trees and took off to get beer. Different ones show up throughout the month. They are cheap and these guys are a dime a dozen these days. Anyone with a truck and saw are out to make money. Or shall I say little money. If they get beer they are happy.

How do you know they were going to get beer?????????????????????

LandscapemanFL
07-11-2011, 08:26 PM

We got our fair share here. Reeking of booze or stoned. I was trimming my palms one saturday and a guy came by and told me he would cut 6 palms for 20 a piece.

Patriot Services
07-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Got as many of them as lco's around here. All the same. Old pickup, extension ladder hanging 10' off the back. "Tree service" stenciled on the door with overspray effect. Then you see them a few hours later, bed heaped 10' ft high, dropping scraps along the way. Probably to dump at a dead end somewhere. Pity the h.o. that hires an unlicensed tree guy that falls with a running saw and no insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
FLA

The going rate in my area for triming Palms is about $ 25 each especially when there are 10 trees. As a Former Certified Arbortist who drop the Cert, it is my Humble opinion. Pole saws can't do a good job of triming palms and debooting them. I sure am not going to pay $ 45 each for a guy to stand on the ground and butcher my trees with a Power Pole Saw. But that is just my humble opinion. Apparently it is the same opinion of the guy you tried to over charge in Mine and his opinion.

Agree 100%. Sorry, but $45/tree is overpriced. The guy isn't a cheapskate, he doesn't want to overpay for a job that can be done great for $25/palm. Even if it a messy queen or coconut, I will charge $30-$35/tree. Plus, you aren't even doing the job properly like Ric said. To properly do palms you need to get on a ladder and use a hand saw to selectively remove fruit stalks that haven't emerged. You are way overpriced after reading your hourly rate is $85/hour. People aren't cheapskates bc they won't pay those prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think you need to look at what others are charging and see what is a good rate. Not that you should charge what others are, but guys in my area charge 12-15/palm, and these are legit tree companies...
Posted via Mobile Device

jada86
07-11-2011, 09:19 PM
If you're getting $45 a palm they must be really dirty or you're a great salesman and I want to work for you! For $45 a palm I'd want a certified arborist himself pruning that palm, with a chainsaw. There are some nice pole saws out there but nothing beats a clean chainsaw cut. :rolleyes:

Landscape Poet
07-11-2011, 09:37 PM

Not ragging on you buy any means, live and learn, but just a few things.

First you could of offered a lower price by giving the price for your hauling and the price of you leaving them on the property. Most cities around here will remove on yard waste day without any hassles. Dependent on the homeowner outlook, they may even approved of you leaving them at the curb and not even bundeling them up.

Second - when did 200k homes become plush in FL? That sounds like a regular suburban neighborhood to me and that is today's market prices.

Last - how far does the stihl combi unit with two extentions reach? Would you not be better off with a regular pole saw? I have a STIHL HT 101 Telescoping Pole Pruner - it can reach up to roughly 11 feet. I know that echo has one that reaches to up to 17 feet I believe.

In terms of price... I can not fault you for trying to get money. If I am climbing I am getting paid. I am a lawn turd not a tree monkey. But if it was for routine clean up I would agree with the other guys in terms of price given for a normal height of the trees and normal removal needed. With that said I have given quotes for trees that are very very tall with lots of dead branches that have been there for years and it was not anywhere near the prices given. If I am getting a JLG lift or scissor lift there, I can assure you that you will not be paying $25 or $35 a tree unless you have LOTS of them.

Landscape Poet
07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I am going to revisit this thread with a picture of some palms I was asked to trim recently to see what your guys prices would be!

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 10:07 PM
FYI guys, you can do palms very quickly with a nice silky 22 ft polesaw from the ground to remove dead fronds and get on an extension ladder with a silky hand saw to remove fruits/boots. Proper pruning of palms as per the UF palm experts is to only remove dead fronds anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-11-2011, 10:16 PM
FYI guys, you can do palms very quickly with a nice silky 22 ft poorest from the ground to remove dead fronds and get on an extension ladder with a silky hand saw to remove fruits/boots. Proper pruning of palms as per the UF palm experts is to only remove dead fronds anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris

I will disagree with only removing dead fronds. The fruiting stems are propagation. All propagation in both Plant and Animal Drain Energy from the parenting body. That energy can be better use to help that tree express it's self better.

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Chris

I will disagree with only removing dead fronds. The fruiting stems are propagation. All propagation in both Plant and Animal Drain Energy from the parenting body. That energy can be better use to help that tree express it's self better.

Ric I misquoted. I agree with what you say which is also what I do and what Broschat and Elliot say. I meant that only DEAD fronds should be removed, not live ones. There are exceptions like if fronds are touching structures or maybe they are 50% dead. I totally agree with removing fruits(better to do so before they emerge).

FLAhaulboy
07-11-2011, 10:57 PM
"Last - how far does the stihl combi unit with two extentions reach? Would you not be better off with a regular pole saw? I have a STIHL HT 101 Telescoping Pole Pruner "

Not sure but will check. I once had the Stihl telescoping pruner but it eventually broke due to something rusting in the pole shaft. The reason I use the Kombi, is its easy to break down & store inside the truck & kept out of the weather.

Did I overprice this job? Nope, I quoted what I charge everyone else, an hourly fee+hauling away the debris if they want it hauled off.

If I didn't have to use an extension ladder at this job, the fee would of been greatly reduced.

unkownfl
07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
If it's a queen or palm I can climb with hooks, I do them for $25 if I can leave debris or $5 extra per tree and I'll haul it away. If there is more than 5 palms I'll haul away for the $25 a tree. I can trim a palm in about 5 minutes or less on hooks and my small 14" saw.

GreenT
07-11-2011, 11:01 PM

The problem with FL right in this thread and one of the reasons I stay away from these forums.

Here's a bunch of "professionals" ragging on someone because he tried to get a good price for his labor. Why you should have been cheaper, don't you know?...

And the race to the bottom continues and the bellyaching about 'lowballers' goes on.

Unreal.

unkownfl
07-11-2011, 11:01 PM

The problem with FL right in this thread and one of the reasons I stay away from these forums.

Here's a bunch of "professionals" ragging on someone because he tried to get a good price for his labor. Why you should have been cheaper, don't you know?...

And the race to the bottom continues and the bellyaching about 'lowballers' goes on.

Unreal.

Hardly a professional if you're using a kombi unit and ladder IMHO.

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 11:09 PM

Unreal.

There is a difference between getting good money for a job and highway robbery. Especially when not doing the job right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 11:17 PM
If it's a queen or palm I can climb with hooks, I do them for $25 if I can leave debris or $5 extra per tree and I'll haul it away. If there is more than 5 palms I'll haul away for the $25 a tree. I can trim a palm in about 5 minutes or less on hooks and my small 14" saw.

What do you mean by hooks??
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
07-11-2011, 11:25 PM
There is a difference between getting good money for a job and highway robbery.

Unbeknownst to me, getting as much as possible for one's work is a personal flaw. Here, the industry that complains of low pay and lack of respect unites to call on lower prices instead of trying to build value in their service and differentiation with the scrubs.

Hey!.... I can do it for 10 bucks!!

Just listen to yourselves...

unkownfl
07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Climbing Spikes the kind that are sorta bad for palms.

GreenT
07-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Climbing Spikes the kind that are sorta bad for palms.

You should charge 15.... 25 is kinda high.

/s

unkownfl
07-11-2011, 11:30 PM
You should charge 15.... 25 is kinda high.

/s

Give me enough of them I'll do them for $15 all day....

GreenT
07-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Give me enough of them I'll do them for $15 all day....

In that case, $5.

Obviously you're ripping people off at those prices and the idea is to get the least possible.

/s

PDLM21
07-11-2011, 11:36 PM
You guys enjoy endangering your life for peanuts?

GreenT
07-11-2011, 11:42 PM
You guys enjoy endangering your life for peanuts?

It's the only way to advance the industry...

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Unbeknownst to me, getting as much as possible for one's work is a personal flaw. Here, the industry that complains of low pay and lack of respect unites to call on lower prices instead of trying to build value in their service and differentiation with the scrubs.

never said I charge $10. $25/palm for routinely maintained palms is a good price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-11-2011, 11:48 PM

The scrubs are doing palms for $10. Go and see how many jobs you land at $45/palm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
07-12-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't know. I just look at three big ol cabbage palms and see a trailer full of fronds and more work than I care to do for what these cats around here will do them for. Queens are different story. If I don't have to climb a ladder, I usually include their maintenance in with my month price. Worst thing about them is dodging 80lb seed spears.

GreenT
07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
The scrubs are doing palms for $10. Go and see how many jobs you land at $45/palm.

And there's your answer. You subscribe to the theory of selling yourself as low as possible because -in practical terms- you're allowing the scrub to set the price floor...

Until this industry learns what every other one knows -quality, knowledge and professionalism has a price- it will never be anything other than lawn monkeys underbidding each other.

GreenT
07-12-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't know. I just look at three big ol cabbage palms and see a trailer full of fronds and more work than I care to do for what these cats around here will do them for. Queens are different story. If I don't have to climb a ladder, I usually include their maintenance in with my month price. Worst thing about them is dodging 80lb seed spears.

Last year I landed a medical center contract. 15 highly neglected canaries -20 footers-.... 300 a piece for an immaculate pineapple cut that took about an hour each.

I can't tell you how happy they are. We do all their maintenance now. :)

Florida Gardener
07-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Last year I landed a medical center contract. 15 highly neglected canaries -20 footers-.... 300 a piece for an immaculate pineapple cut that took about an hour each.

I can't tell you how happy they are. We do all their maintenance now. :)

Here's what I find funny. Your sitting here telling me about knowledge when you went and PINEAPPLE cut canaries. You need to be informed and educated before you go around telling others what to do and following POOR maintenance practices and getting good money to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-12-2011, 06:40 AM
And there's your answer. You subscribe to the theory of selling yourself as low as possible because -in practical terms- you're allowing the scrub to set the price floor...

Until this industry learns what every other one knows -quality, knowledge and professionalism has a price- it will never be anything other than lawn monkeys underbidding each other.

No I set my prices. I don't have a flat fee for palms. If they are routinely maintained there are set rates(starting at minimum of $25/each and going up from there).
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck_wheat
07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
$20 - $25 is about the going price for queens & palmettos not too dirty and @ about 20'.

Be careful when you go up the ladder, you may not have any insurance if you do. Most policies require a rider for anything you can't trim from the ground, if you use a bucket, you'll need a license in PBC.

Ric
07-12-2011, 09:21 AM
$20 - $25 is about the going price for queens & palmettos not too dirty and @ about 20'.

Be careful when you go up the ladder, you may not have any insurance if you do. Most policies require a rider for anything you can't trim from the ground, if you use a bucket, you'll need a license in PBC.

Back in the day I sold many customers on the idea of trimming palms every 6 months or twice a year. Of course I gave a better price because there was less to trim. BTW that didn't mean a hurricane cut. I am a big fan of ground sweeping dark green fronds. You got fertilize right to get those.

South Florida Lawns
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
FYI guys, you can do palms very quickly with a nice silky 22 ft polesaw from the ground to remove dead fronds and get on an extension ladder with a silky hand saw to remove fruits/boots. Proper pruning of palms as per the UF palm experts is to only remove dead fronds anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah you got it there bud, 2 ways to trim palms one is fast removing the dead fronds and the other is booting all the way up. All the UF peeps say only trim dead stuff.

I will use a pole saw if they are under 15ft and are included in annual contract but if its a special job I get the extension ladder and my climbing saw.

LandscapemanFL
07-12-2011, 07:43 PM

Very Well Said. I think I may use this.

rob7233
07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think you need to look at what others are charging and see what is a good rate. Not that you should charge what others are, but guys in my area charge 12-15/palm, and these are legit tree companies...
Posted via Mobile Device

.... yeah, I might add that don't give a crap and spike the crap out of them too. I see it all the time and not just the tall ones either. I've personally have charged up to $90.00 a palm for a big one from a ladder. There are way too many factors to give a flat price and say that anything more than $25.00 a palm is ripping people off.

Florida Gardener
07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
.... yeah, I might add that don't give a crap and spike the crap out of them too. I see it all the time and not just the tall ones either. I've personally have charged up to $90.00 a palm for a big one from a ladder. There are way too many factors to give a flat price and say that anything more than $25.00 a palm is ripping people off.

Didn't say that more than $25 is ripping people off. I did a canary fruit removal only with 4' of clear trunk last year for a customer for $100. Now, for queens/coconuts/cabbage that are done 2x/year that are 20' or less, $25/tree is a good rate as there is little work to do. The OP is calling someone a cheapskate bc they won't pay $45/palm for a job he isn't even doing correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device

rob7233
07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Per my calculation, the OP was asking $31.50 average per palm. That is not inputting any height, access, or obstacle issues etc. No way was that overcharging but could it have been lower? Maybe, but how low is enough with these guys with chainsaws doing their "hack attacks".

Btw: U/F recommends only cutting dead fronds since nutrients in them are mobile and are pulled from older fronds. Personally I may not agree since it's not practical in the field setting dealing with a non maintenance account client.

However, since this is the info generally given to Homeowners who call in, it may be best, for the overall health of the palm and the safety of the HO, who's on a ladder with a running chainsaw in his hand!

Ric
07-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Per my calculation, the OP was asking $31.50 average per palm. That is not inputting any height, access, or obstacle issues etc. No way was that overcharging but could it have been lower? Maybe, but how low is enough with these guys with chainsaws doing their "hack attacks".

Btw: U/F recommends only cutting dead fronds since nutrients in them are mobile and are pulled from older fronds. Personally I may not agree since it's not practical in the field setting dealing with a non maintenance account client.

However, since this is the info generally given to Homeowners who call in, it may be best, for the overall health of the palm and the safety of the HO, who's on a ladder with a running chainsaw in his hand!

Rob

University PhD's live in a very sheltered world with no real field experience. Their recommendations are not always practical or Pragmatic to the Professional. I have seen or heard of many stories where universities have given Illegal advice as to Chemical usage.

rob7233
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't know if you are aware but all advice given by Master Gardeners are strictly for the Homeowner and not for professional or commercial entities. So that is the focus, of that part of the extension. However, any other information to be provided to the professional, grower or commercial person should come from the Commercial Hort Agent.

I do agree with that U/F my not be in touch with the real world. Hell, it took them 5 years to figure out Floratam wasn't shade tolerant.... and most recently with their revised recommendations regarding Zoysia. From what I understand they do welcome inputs and observations from the field, however I just don't think they have a good system for doing that.

Ric
07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't know if you are aware but all advice given by Master Gardeners are strictly for the Homeowner and not for professional or commercial entities. So that is the focus, of that part of the extension. However, any other information to be provided to the professional, grower or commercial person should come from the Commercial Hort Agent.

I do agree with that U/F my not be in touch with the real world. Hell, it took them 5 years to figure out Floratam wasn't shade tolerant.... and most recently with their revised recommendations regarding Zoysia. From what I understand they do welcome inputs and observations from the field, however I just don't think they have a good system for doing that.

Rob

I am sorry but the Master garden program for the most part SUCKS big time. It is for Fat broads with nothing to do, or retired salesmen with out a clue. They attend a 6 to 12 week Tree Hugger program every Wednesday morning for 4 hours. 3 of those hours are spend drinking coffee and exchanging Diet Receipts so their bottoms don't grow too big. But they do have more training than 90% of the """Landscapers"""".

FLAhaulboy
07-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Lower price? Sure it prob would of been a lower price on the hours needed to complete the job. The row of palms in the backyard, was going to be slower work based on safety issues, height, uneven ground, other plants in the way, etc.
He wanted the two bottom layers of fronds removed+the fruit. No dead fronds on the palms. I realize the U/F recommends lots of things but the client wanted them cut based on appearance issues. North Fl tends to ignore anything the U/F has to say about pruning plants.

This isn't a "hack attack" kind of job either, I don't do butcher work:laugh:

Let me dwell on the did I overcharge in my estimate quote to the client:

I am a experienced professional in my line of work. I operate a business. I have expenses. I use great commercial equipment designed to do the work faster. I return calls and show up as scheduled-when most of my competition doesn't. I do what I say I will do. I have an excellent reputation in my community. The only clients I lose, are the ones who die of old age!

I trimmed some bushes the other day elsewhere. I quoted my regular $85 per hr+$35 to haul away a small pile of clippings. I told her it'd prob take me (2) hrs to complete. She asked, If I'd do it + hauling for $200, I said No Ma'am, I'm going to have to stick to my hourly rate. She hired me.

Total bill+the $35, was "$169.20".

So, I don't like to or care to overcharge clients but certain jobs require different levels re safety issues. Trimming tall palms using an extension ladder, is far more dangerous type work. I'm extremely safety oriented when I work, so as not to hurt myself or do other property damage.

mjlcare2
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
its called free enterprise.. he can charge whatever the customer is willing to pay.. its called running a business..

yamahatim
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Amen to that!

jvanvliet
07-13-2011, 05:30 PM

Spike the crap out of them? Good move Ex-Lax.

$25.00 for a reasonably maintained tree is fair down here, I've seen them go as high as $35-$45 dirty; in the past my rate was $35.00 a tree. Each market is different.

But, NO SPIKES, the palm will not heal. If I can't reach it from the ground, I don't do the job.

Guys like you are hacks that give this business a bad name and will eventually lead to regulation and licensing for all LCO's

Patriot Services
07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Jvan- Rob is not the guy using spikes. That was Unkownfl that mentioned he uses hooks.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Jvan- Rob is not the guy using spikes.

Actually.....

Originally Posted by rob7233

.... yeah, I might add that don't give a crap and spike the crap out of them too.

Patriot Services
07-13-2011, 06:16 PM

Green- read it again. Rob is commenting on hacks, not stating how he does it. As usual you read and quote what you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-13-2011, 09:23 PM
I can state that knowing Rob personally I do not believe that he would spike a palm. Not his style. With that said...here comes the photo of two trees I was asked for a estimate. I will give the customer the estimate tomorrow, I will also let you know if I get the job or not, but let me tell you this, Homie is not doing this for $25.00 or $35.00 a tree.....I am a big boy and big boys fall harder than you little skinny guys.

Landscape Poet
07-13-2011, 09:23 PM
OK, give me your price guys. What would YOU do these two palms for???/

fl-landscapes
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Sixty per tree. Tall tree, big haul away, someone wants to do it cheaper go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
07-13-2011, 09:32 PM
You have fun with that, whatever price you get you will earn it.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
07-13-2011, 09:38 PM
As usual you read and quote what you want.

Save the snark. It is not my fault if he wrote/structured his response in a grammatically incorrect fashion.

He did post: I might add that don't give a crap and....

A normal person would construe it as meaning he also doesn't give a crap and spikes them too. But what do I know, I'm not normal. :waving:

GreenT
07-13-2011, 09:49 PM

I, wouldn't do them. My tree sub would probably quote me $150 each and I would quote the client $400, in writing.

I hope you have proper insurance coverage and your WC is up to date.

Florida Gardener
07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I, wouldn't do them. My tree sub would probably quote me $150 each and I would quote the client $400, in writing.

Yea, ok
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Yea, ok

I know... too high for you.

Time, lift, labor, cleanup, dump trailer, disposal, insurance, overhead, and [gasp] profit!.... to make it a worthwhile trip for two freakin' palms.

$25 a piece with my bazooka. :)

Florida Gardener
07-13-2011, 10:42 PM
You want $400 for 2 washy's, good luck...and i would do them for $10....$25 would be charging too much.

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 07:18 AM
I will talk to the owner today. I am more than likely going to be in the $100.00 range each. Don't know if I will get it, but it is worth the shot and not worth the work and time if I do not.

Ric
07-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Green T

I thought you were only in Left Field on your political believes. But this post really shows how far out in Left field you actually are. Quoting those kind of prices really makes Life tougher on you than the average yard boy.

Buck_wheat
07-14-2011, 11:51 AM

probably @ least $150 each, got see them closer up though, might be more.

Buck_wheat
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Jvan- Rob is not the guy using spikes. That was Unkownfl that mentioned he uses hooks.
Posted via Mobile Device

My apologies to ROB and redirect my comment to that the real hack.

fl-landscapes
07-14-2011, 01:46 PM
probably @ least $150 each, got see them closer up though, might be more.

First time I have evr felt like a low baller with my sixty per bid. I agree these trees are worth a hundred each if not more. Problem is it's tough to get people to spend that when there are so many low lifes doing this work for peanuts and the customers are willing to risk having an un licensed un insured drunk in a tree with a chain saw to save a buck.
Posted via Mobile Device

A Leaf Above
07-14-2011, 05:28 PM
that is 4-5 years of overgrowth ... at least 100 a tree .....There is a lot of debris that will come off them ....and if you are gonna be on a ladder this job will suck ...All that crap and dust and stuff will fall right back in your face and those fronds have thorns that will fall on you and rip your face ,clothes or anything else that gets in the way .......now that i think of it ...150 a tree ...lol

fl-landscapes
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
that is 4-5 years of overgrowth ... at least 100 a tree .....There is a lot of debris that will come off them ....and if you are gonna be on a ladder this job will suck ...All that crap and dust and stuff will fall right back in your face and those fronds have thorns that will fall on you and rip your face ,clothes or anything else that gets in the way .......now that i think of it ...150 a tree ...lol

no doubt that is all true and what the job is truly worth. BUT how many times do you get those prices? Too many people these days pretending to be tree experts working for beer money and just as many homeowners willing to take the risk and save a buck. I hate pruning trees these days as there are too many idiots doing it for peanuts. I would say 75% of the calls I get for palm pruning these days ends with something along these lines "I suggest you call the guy who gave you that quote back because there is no way I can do the job for that price, and I hope he doesnt fall off the ladder with a saw when he is there because he cant afford insurance at those prices" Too many homemade trailers with spray paint "tree service" on them, around here anyway.

Eric E
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Not that it happens much in FL, and those skirts aren't to bad but, lots of guys die in So Cal and AZ doing heavy skirted Washies while working off ladders.

Patriot Services
07-14-2011, 08:20 PM
I would think a real arborist would have the ladder secured to the tree. A harness on himself. A tehter on his saw and a helper or two on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I called today and gave the lady the price. She was not shocked by any means. I do not think that I will get it as she said she had one more company showing up tomorrow for a price quote, however, she did inform me that she had called several companies and I was the only one that actually called her back, so I may still get it.
It is sad that in this industry people do not even have the courtesy to call someone back. No wonder so many ads highlight reliable service, but none the less still sad when the best thing you can say about your company is that we actually show up for work.

Now I thought 100 is very fair....the lady openly admitted that she moved in 4 years ago and has not had them trimmed since. To me this lady should be realistic as she has not paid for the service in 4 years it is time to pay. And honestly I think it is a steal. Think of it this way...we should all have a target rate of at least $60 a hour, now how long do you think it is going to take to get there, trim these bad boys with rats, snakes and whatever hell the else is living in there after 4 years not to mention the amount of debris that is going to fall in my face! $100.00 each is a steal IMHO and I for sure see the direction in Green Tea's post as it is much needed on a overall here in FL. And I do not mean any disrespect to any that have suggested a lower price at all, we have all in one way or another become victim to the economy in FL and did things at a lower price than what we have most likely thought was fair, but hell we got dinner on the table either way.

GreenT
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Quoting those kind of prices really makes Life tougher on you than the average yard boy.

Hardly an "average yard boy", FYI.

I close 20% of my bids and I'm not happy about it.... I may be too low.... currently shootin' for 10%. :) :dancing:

FLAhaulboy
07-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Mike, if you get that job, how are you going to trim them, ladder or bucket lift?

Florida Gardener
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM
I called today and gave the lady the price. She was not shocked by any means. I do not think that I will get it as she said she had one more company showing up tomorrow for a price quote, however, she did inform me that she had called several companies and I was the only one that actually called her back, so I may still get it.
It is sad that in this industry people do not even have the courtesy to call someone back. No wonder so many ads highlight reliable service, but none the less still sad when the best thing you can say about your company is that we actually show up for work.

Now I thought 100 is very fair....the lady openly admitted that she moved in 4 years ago and has not had them trimmed since. To me this lady should be realistic as she has not paid for the service in 4 years it is time to pay. And honestly I think it is a steal. Think of it this way...we should all have a target rate of at least $60 a hour, now how long do you think it is going to take to get there, trim these bad boys with rats, snakes and whatever hell the else is living in there after 4 years not to mention the amount of debris that is going to fall in my face! $100.00 each is a steal IMHO and I for sure see the direction in Green Tea's post as it is much needed on a overall here in FL. And I do not mean any disrespect to any that have suggested a lower price at all, we have all in one way or another become victim to the economy in FL and did things at a lower price than what we have most likely thought was fair, but hell we got dinner on the table either way.
I agree as these are messy as hell. However, I doubt you have a lift so you would be climbing which would def call for more money but a tree company that has a bucket truck will come in and do these way cheaper than $100/ea. That is what we are up against and I wouldn't blame a homeowner for going with a lower bid if that was the case. You also made a good point in one of your other posts in that debris can be left curbside and picked up by the town. I rarely hau debris away bc most neighborhoods allow you to leave it and if I do I charge at least 50-60 plus disposal fees.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
07-14-2011, 09:06 PM
$100.00 each is a steal IMHO and I for sure see the direction in Green Tea's post as it is much needed on a overall here in FL.

I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I say this without malice...

You will make it the day you bid on the actual job, your cost, and your target profit.... instead of having the worry in the back of your head that someone out there will bid it lower.

Any other way it's insanity and a sure way to not have an ongoing enterprise for long...

Another tip: Stop doing the work yourself. Once you do, you'll start seeing the bigger picture.

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Mike, if you get that job, how are you going to trim them, ladder or bucket lift?

Ladder as a bucket would eat up any potential profit at that price. On this one I do not think I am going to be doing it to be honest, I have a steady supply of people who will do anything for $100 cash. I have a guy I know that has took a ladder as far as they could on trees a little taller and shuffled there way up there like they were getting ready to get coconuts and went to town. The way I figure is if the guy is happy to risk it for $100 cash and it makes his day, let him.
I did two real similar myself this summer with a scissor lift but it they were directly off the driveway. I was fortunate enough to get them at $180 each and schedule it while I had a another job which required a lift.

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 09:36 PM
I agree as these are messy as hell. However, I doubt you have a lift so you would be climbing which would def call for more money but a tree company that has a bucket truck will come in and do these way cheaper than $100/ea. That is what we are up against and I wouldn't blame a homeowner for going with a lower bid if that was the case. You also made a good point in one of your other posts in that debris can be left curbside and picked up by the town. I rarely hau debris away bc most neighborhoods allow you to leave it and if I do I charge at least 50-60 plus disposal fees.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valid points. I do not see the need to take debris often either as the homeowner is already paying with their taxes for that service, so as long as they are bundled neatly there should not be a issue, of course I will be more than happy to haul if they really want to pay for it.

Eric E
07-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I would think a real arborist would have the ladder secured to the tree. A harness on himself. A tehter on his saw and a helper or two on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are on the right track.

Actually, according to ANSI z-133, you should be tied in above and work the shirt from the top. This alone would reduce the death rate of palm trimmers greatly in SO Cal and AZ.

I know...we're in FL. I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting suffocated under the skirt in FL. At least it will keep most of the debris and nasties out of your face.

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I hope you don't take it the wrong way. I say this without malice...

You will make it the day you bid on the actual job, your cost, and your target profit.... instead of having the worry in the back of your head that someone out there will bid it lower.

Any other way it's insanity and a sure way to not have an ongoing enterprise for long...

Another tip: Stop doing the work yourself. Once you do, you'll start seeing the bigger picture.

Brother I have no issue with what you are saying. I am seriously thinking about the expanding out but still have some serious planning to do before it happens I believe.
I am in the spot now where I have more than a large enough client base, so I have learned to not worry about giving a "fair" price as a result. I have made some mistakes worrying about what others would do it for in the past years, but it is becoming more clear each day that I have a service that many want, many pretend to offer and can not deliver on. Today for example I picked up a $160 a month, EOW, account without any turf. Guy just had grass removed last year and had some simple landscape installed and wanted someone to trim and provide pesticide service. Since I have invested in my limited, I found it can be a really good investment. I will take some photos of the property when I go tomorrow - this is the kind of set up that most lawn turds like me used to drool over.

Florida Gardener
07-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Brother I have no issue with what you are saying. I am seriously thinking about the expanding out but still have some serious planning to do before it happens I believe.
I am in the spot now where I have more than a large enough client base, so I have learned to not worry about giving a "fair" price as a result. I have made some mistakes worrying about what others would do it for in the past years, but it is becoming more clear each day that I have a service that many want, many pretend to offer and can not deliver on. Today for example I picked up a $160 a month, EOW, account without any turf. Guy just had grass removed last year and had some simple landscape installed and wanted someone to trim and provide pesticide service. Since I have invested in my limited, I found it can be a really good investment. I will take some photos of the property when I go tomorrow - this is the kind of set up that most lawn turds like me used to drool over. mike I would like to see some pics. I would much rather be doing a property that has all plants vs using mowers and all the other equipment. Lower overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
07-14-2011, 09:53 PM
You are on the right track.

Actually, according to ANSI z-133, you should be tied in above and work the shirt from the top. This alone would reduce the death rate of palm trimmers greatly in SO Cal and AZ.

I know...we're in FL. I don't think I've ever heard of someone getting suffocated under the skirt in FL. At least it will keep most of the debris and nasties out of your face.
I believe that. When I was out in Cali, 90% of the palms looked like they were never pruned.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 09:58 PM
mike I would like to see some pics. I would much rather be doing a property that has all plants vs using mowers and all the other equipment. Lower overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will try to get them posted tomorrow for your diamond but most likely will not happen till sat or sunday.

Florida Gardener
07-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Will try to get them posted tomorrow for your diamond but most likely will not happen till sat or sunday.

Not a problem....whenever you get the time dude. It's July in florida, things are nuts right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjlcare2
07-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I cant imagine NOT hauling the debris away like some of you guys say you do and leave it at the cust. curb. Just seems un-proffesional leave the mess.. What happens if the yard trash guys that week say.. "forget that, we aren't taking it", then you've left a mess to sit for a week. We don't offer different prices for either. Its a per job fee.. not per tree.. .. just my opinion

Florida Gardener
07-14-2011, 10:13 PM
I cant imagine NOT hauling the debris away like some of you guys say you do and leave it at the cust. curb. Just seems un-proffesional leave the mess.. What happens if the yard trash guys that week say.. "forget that, we aren't taking it", then you've left a mess to sit for a week. We don't offer different prices for either. Its a per job fee.. not per tree.. .. just my opinion

Bc a lot of people don't want to pay for you to haul it when they are already paying for it on taxes. I haven't had a customer complain about it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Hardly an "average yard boy", FYI.

I close 20% of my bids and I'm not happy about it.... I may be too low.... currently shootin' for 10%. :) :dancing:

Green T

Yep you can buy a lot Beer on 10% and still have time to drink it.

Landscape Poet
07-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Let me guess, you do not drop your gate unless you are getting $50 a cut either? :laugh: There is nothing "unprofessional" about telling the customer that their will be a charge for removing the debris from the property and them agreeing to terms of it being left on the property. What would be unprofessional is if the yard waste collectors left the debris considering they are being paid through tax dollars to do so!
Consider this - If I can give the customer a $40 break in the price for leaving the debris, I am still way more profitable as the nearest landfill that takes lawn waste is 25 minutes away from me, so I have earned my potential hual profit just in one way of travel, now lets factor in the disposal fee and the trip back, the wear and tear on my trailer truck and equipment, the gas. Since you work in Orlando, i can assure you that your travel time is most likely not less to your landfill that accepts lawn waste as i am familar with its locations. So let me guess - you regularly land jobs where you remove waste and get $60 a hour for your time and expenses? :nono::nono:

Keep posting on how to be a REAL Professional though, I am really enjoying it.:laugh:

unkownfl
07-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Mike are you removing the boots or just the fronds? If your doing just the fronds hell I'll do it for a $100 for both. I don't see how people base their rate on an hourly rate to the customer. Just because you don't have the resources to do it fast doesn't mean charge by the hour. If you showed up to a yard with a 21" and said well its going to take an hour pushing it vs using a 52-60" etc and being done in 15 minutes. A 15 minute yard to me is $25 bucks per cut or $20 if your getting 40 a year. How is it the customers fault you don't have the right equipment. I would understand if the customer wanted it to be pushed the by all means charge for pushing it. I don't know what spikes you guys use but I don't really tear up the trees. I might have to put 10-15 holes in a 30-40ft tree each hole is maybe 1/4 inch deep and smaller than half a pencil eraser. Mike I'll use my 40ft ladder for you if you want. Just like SOD I get around 200 a pallet (floratam) and have maybe 1.5 hours total with removal. I don't go to the dump because I use a soil cultivator on a dingo. I probably make more profit off the job than someone that charges $250 or $300 because I have the right equipment to allow me to do it fast. I have insurance I pay taxes and all my equipment truck race cars boats other toys are all paid for so I guess I must be doing something right even if my prices are lower than the rest. BTW those palms are not that high. I have a 20ft echo I could probably do it with on a 8ft a frame.

Buck_wheat
07-15-2011, 11:08 AM
You are so right about the right equipment for the job. Here, if I use a mechanical lift or bucket I need a license and additional insurance + it plays hell with my WC rates. So I like to do it from the ground or no more than a 20ft. ladder.

Still it's dangerous work for $100.00. (have you ever noticed how the chain doesn't exactly stop when you take your finger off the throttle? Even on a tether it has enough momentum to take a nut off)

I had an echo but the extension was flimsy, it folded while taking off a 4" oak limb that swung back on the bar. (yes I know how to properly cut lumber)Got a Sthil now, stainless steel extension, heavier but doesn't sway in the breeze.

As far as I'm concerned, risk = reward. If I'm gonna stand on an 8 or 10 ft. frame with a pole saw hacking away at all that mess I want to get paid for it. If I have to climb a ladder, secured, harness, tether and a ground crew, I'm going to need more than a $100.

From the ground, those will take at least 1 hr + to trim and then haul all the crap to the curb or the truck, another 1hr + plus travel. Let somebody else do it unless you are starving, they'll earn their Darwin Award in time.

As far as debris removal, I will try and schedule that kind of stuff the day before a bulk pick up & let the HO know there may be an extra charge to his utility bill if it's over X sq. yds. Some communities it's 2, or 3 or 5 yds. and they fine HO's if they leave the stuff at the curb for too long. If he wants me to haul it, I add travel time, diesel and the estimated tipping fee. I'm not running a charity and my mentor told me there is some business you just don't want.

I'm not going to compete at $50 bucks with someone who will risk life & limb for a couple of bucks.

Keith
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm with Mr. Wheat on this. I know of easier ways to make money. I know what people around here will do them for.

FLAhaulboy
07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd be charging big bucks to cut those two palms due mainly to safety issues. Rent a tow behind bucket lift. No way would I use an extension ladder at that height. No offense to anyone but it would be plain stupid using a ladder+pole saw to cut this mess.

I'd charge:

(4hr) bucket rental $125.00
Haul away debris $135.00
Labor (4) hrs $340.00

In my part of the State, that price is more than fair. It has nothing to do with "overcharging", rather, its about safely being able to do the job w/o getting hurt.

In the my OP, they do not pick up road side debris where this home was located. I'm not near a landfill either.

A Leaf Above
07-15-2011, 05:03 PM
i SAY cut those washintonias down ( i hate them anyway when next to a house) ...Remove the stumps and sell them a nice corner bed of landscaping ....This can all be done in 4-5 hours and still be almost the same amount as FLAhaulboy gets ...lol ......No way in hell would anyone pay 600 bux to trim those ....Of course if they are getting that im moving my biz there ...lol

A Leaf Above
07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
400 bux is a lil high but doable ...A tree guy (if he is allowed to park on yard ) will be in and out of there in an hour and the debris will be chipped ....That debris will fill like 4 garbage cans after its chipped but will load a trailer up to the roof ...

jvanvliet
07-15-2011, 05:25 PM
400 bux is a lil high but doable ...A tree guy (if he is allowed to park on yard ) will be in and out of there in an hour and the debris will be chipped ....That debris will fill like 4 garbage cans after its chipped but will load a trailer up to the roof ...

Must be a teenie weanie trailer :laugh:

I doubt there is more than 10yrds of trash on those palms...

rob7233
07-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Spike the crap out of them? Good move Ex-Lax.

$25.00 for a reasonably maintained tree is fair down here, I've seen them go as high as $35-$45 dirty; in the past my rate was $35.00 a tree. Each market is different.

But, NO SPIKES, the palm will not heal. If I can't reach it from the ground, I don't do the job.

Guys like you are hacks that give this business a bad name and will eventually lead to regulation and licensing for all LCO's

I'm guessing you might have a reading disability. I have enough education to know way better than to spike. Keep reading, then read again...

MR-G
07-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Bc a lot of people don't want to pay for you to haul it when they are already paying for it on taxes. I haven't had a customer complain about it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device all our customers know that we will only haul debris if requested...and when it is, its additional.

Landscape Poet
07-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Have not gotten a phone call so I am guessing we will not be doing it. To answer unknowns question I would only be removing frondss not boots for that price. As I said I thought that was more than a fair price just for that service. And yes other my be able to do it cheaper because they have tools to fit that exact job, but the way I see it, the customer called me and wanted to know what I would charge not what was the cheapest anyone could do it for. Add to that the fact that a tree service has to pay for all that equipment and of course THEIR insurance rates.....if they do it for cheaper.....then are they leaving money on the table?
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing you might have a reading disability. I have enough education to know way better than to spike. Keep reading, then read again...

Nope no reading disability... I thought the post went along the lines of not giving a crap and spiking the heck out of the palms... or along those lines. I lost something in the thread so apologize for hurting your feelings.

Plenty of idiots down here spike palms, so...

jvanvliet
07-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Have not gotten a phone call so I am guessing we will not be doing it. To answer unknowns question I would only be removing frondss not boots for that price. As I said I thought that was more than a fair price just for that service. And yes other my be able to do it cheaper because they have tools to fit that exact job, but the way I see it, the customer called me and wanted to know what I would charge not what was the cheapest anyone could do it for. Add to that the fact that a tree service has to pay for all that equipment and of course THEIR insurance rates.....if they do it for cheaper.....then are they leaving money on the table?
Posted via Mobile Device

If they are legit, bring out a bucket, crew, etc. I don't know how they can afford to do it unless they butcher the palms.

I bid the price I can reasonably afford to do business at and that's the bid.

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 07:57 PM
mike I would like to see some pics. I would much rather be doing a property that has all plants vs using mowers and all the other equipment. Lower overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry it took so long Diamond. I took these pictures the first day when we showed up. Please note that we did not make the plant selection or place them. We are currently working with the owner on making some changes but you know how that goes, the plant is living there so how could that be the wrong place?

Florida Gardener
08-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Sorry it took so long Diamond. I took these pictures the first day when we showed up. Please note that we did not make the plant selection or place them. We are currently working with the owner on making some changes but you know how that goes, the plant is living there so how could that be the wrong place?

Yea, def needs re-arranging and taking some out. Good price for that account though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Yea, def needs re-arranging and taking some out. Good price for that account though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fair price I would say at this point - The three holly's in the front lawn have had to be pruned because of a fungus which I am assuming is Sphaeropsis has caused them to decline. Pruning these while disinfecting is a time consuming process. I used snap shot on the area as irrigation has not been changed to reflect the needs of the current landscape...weeds are reduced but still present enough to make them a chore.
The podocarpus along the fence line have been in decline since prior to our first visit to the property.

As you can see several things need to be corrected....this landscape was installed with "barter dollars" can you tell? LOL

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Man you gotta love crotons spaced 2ft apart. The crepes on the fence is awsome as well. I aint even sure what you got going on in the front. Looks like mother in law tongues but cant tell. Then the little mushroom right next to them. Seems focal points and vertical POPS just was'nt this guys deal

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Man you gotta love crotons spaced 2ft apart. The crepes on the fence is awsome as well. I aint even sure what you got going on in the front. Looks like mother in law tongues but cant tell. Then the little mushroom right next to them. Seems focal points and vertical POPS just was'nt this guys deal

The crepes are one of my favorite too chuck. I told the guy that was not a good location. He asked where would be a good location, I asked him what he wanted to remove first, he is not liking that idea. There is so much material stuffed in that little area. You like the crepe planted right under the southern mag? Great location as well right! Genius I tell you, pure brilliance went into the planning on this one, nothing but the best. :hammerhead:

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
There was a plan? HAHAHAHAHA. I thought they just stolled through a box store taking 5 of this and 8 of that. Then just set it how it came off the truck. Yank them crotons and use them in 3's for a pop's. Well I aint gonna start listing till he wants to throw you some cash. Let me know if you need any ideas. I'm sure you got it but if not you got my number

Landscape Poet
08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
duplicate post erased.

South Florida Lawns
08-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Do I see red mulch up front with gravel and then pine bark out back?:dizzy:

Landscape Poet
08-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Do I see red mulch up front with gravel and then pine bark out back?:dizzy:

Yep, throw in some rock here and there too....by the way at least they were consistent and put some red in back too! There are small beds on the back side of the dwelling with red mulch in them too.