PDA

View Full Version : dear trugreen customer....

grassmasterswilson
07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm in a city where apps are not a huge business. There is no person who solely does apps as there job. Usually its in addition to mowing. We are not required to leave signs, but I do as a marketing tool and to let the customer know I was there. Trugreen is the other company that leaves signs.

As I was riding I noticed a few trugreen signs in lawns. I thought to myself why not send a letter to that person saying I do apps to. Maybe something like.... "I saw the trugreen sign and in the past few days they have done an application. Are you happy? Do you see any weeds dieing? ......" then go into a part about my company, website, etc.

The post office has already called about me putting letters in current customers mailboxes. So I figured I would have to mail them the letter or knock on the door(I usually don't have time to do that at the time of the sign sighting).

What are your thoughts on this idea? You would be targeting a customer who wants apps.

vencops
07-11-2011, 06:24 PM
gmw:

If "I" were going to do this, I wouldn't mention the other company. I'd just try to sell myself/my services. If they're having issues with their current squirt/fert. company, it'll come out.

I asked a question a few weeks ago about "what sets you apart" from the TG/Scott's type companies. There's some good stuff in there.

AuburnHort2005
07-11-2011, 06:25 PM
What's up Patrick? I thought about doing the same thing too. I saw a trugreen truck at a HUGE apartment complex one day and thought about going in there and talking to them.

grassmasterswilson
07-11-2011, 07:20 PM
gmw:

If "I" were going to do this, I wouldn't mention the other company. I'd just try to sell myself/my services. If they're having issues with their current squirt/fert. company, it'll come out.

I asked a question a few weeks ago about "what sets you apart" from the TG/Scott's type companies. There's some good stuff in there.

Like I said fert/squirt is not a huge business here and trugreen has the "name" and might be the only company they know of. I seen mailers and have signs on my truck. Seems all the customers I've gotten who switch from trugreen are really happy with what I do and how green and weed free their lawn is.

All I was saying was that a letter to this person asking if they were happy with the current provider would put your name into a household who defienently wanted the services you offer. And sending it after they had done an application may get the homeowner thinking and looking at the results of the app.

grassmasterswilson
07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
What's up Patrick? I thought about doing the same thing too. I saw a trugreen truck at a HUGE apartment complex one day and thought about going in there and talking to them.

Hey Buddy. My thought was that you would be getting your name and company into a household who wanted services like ours.

vencops
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I think the letter is a great idea.

I just wouldn't mention the other company. I'd sell mine.

Good luck!

JDiepstra
07-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Do you not realize that this is what TruGreen is already doing to YOUR customers?!

bigslick7878
07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
If anyone has any insight into Trugreen's marketing practices I would love to hear it. I always laugh when I see a "lawn" that needs a complete overhaul and is full of weeds with one of their nice little app signs sticking out of the ground.

I guess they get them locked in somehow with a contract they can't get out of. I literally would guess that no fewer than 90% of the "lawns" I see with those signs fall into this category, and that is not an exaggeration.

JDiepstra
07-11-2011, 07:28 PM
You dont know their marketing practices? They go door to door in my subdivision every year..... They talk to all of your customers and tell them what you are doing wrong.

Precedence
07-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Trugreen owns Greenlawn in Canada and i know exactly how they market, up here they do massive amounts of telemarketing, they'll constantly harass there current customers to get up-sells (Aerations, Grub Control, Alfalafa, Ect...) and they buy city directories in the spring and call everyone on the list for free estimates. The estimates used to be hand delivered but they started to do block pricing based off of the average of previous estimates and estimating over the phone. At each application the crew delivers coupon for referrals, a handout (postcard size) explaining the FAB for the next service the telemarketers will be up-selling, and a newsletter for the particular time of year containing useful tips and articles carefully designed to help the up-sells again.

Trugreen runs a very slick (and sleazy) marketing campaign, i was a manager there.

Grassworks Inc.
07-11-2011, 10:13 PM
TruGreed is scum. They have telemarketed some of my customers in the past and told them I had died and they bought my company and they would be out to do the lawn very soon. Another friend of mine had a similar experiences with his company. He happened to be on the ethics committee for PLCAA. They wouldn't censure TruGreen because they give money to PLCAA.

Penncare
07-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Before I ever even thought about doing any of this myself, I had a friend of mine that talked me into a contract for the weed control service. I think I was paying $25 per visit which I believe was once per month. I should have known it was a ripoff when they hired my friend, who was 19 and lazy as a bag of rocks. I got all this great spill about how this NFL player and that fabulous person has them keep things looking great. About six visits later, my friend had gotten fired and so I told there are more weeds than grass no different than before you started. I told them don't come back and the guy said "you signed a contract ." I laughed and told him I guess you will need to sue me and the guy left. Got calls for months and I finally stopped them when I told them, next week I am putting up a sign that says, Lawn full of weeds provided by True Green. Sent me a contract release via fax next day. You would be better off taking a leak on the lawn than having them do weed control, IMHO.

Frank Fescue
07-11-2011, 10:43 PM
you MUST fight fire with fire, and in this industry anything goes. i think covert ops are essential against a company like Tru Green. I waited for a guy to go into a backyard and i stole a stack of his invoices (left the next couple on the list) I ran ahead and filled out the invoices with hate speech and comments about the homeowners younger daughter. I challenged them to fights saying I am a level 33 wizard in dungeons and dragons and that i have 777 hit points and ogre-beast charisma that would stop any physical attempt on me. If that doesnt confuse them into submission i add 2 gallons of concentrated ink into their spray tanks,

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Do you not realize that this is what TruGreen is already doing to YOUR customers?!

Yes thats true I do same to them and I do same on mowing jobs
Your letter will work trust me I walk on weekends door to door Some times I'll buy buch stamps and send them the letter

dgw
07-11-2011, 11:11 PM
they do a couple lawns on my street, and i pay attention to when they do their apps

i have to say whatever they are using for nutsedge is not very effective

Smallaxe
07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
I agreed to do a cleanup for a property and later they wanted me to seed their lawns... I told them that TGCL is always putting down pre-m and broadleaf during the critical overseeding and growing period and that I wasn't even going to bother trying to deal with their over-apps...
So they fired them...

Might be a good way to get inroads, is to offer overseeding for the thinnin turf that TGCL leaves behind them after several years... :)

Glenn Lawn Care
07-12-2011, 04:33 PM
The only bad thing about this is, that tru greens prices might be cheaper than yours. for example I mow a 2 acre residential lawn and was ask to spray this year and my price was $249.80 an app and tru green did it for $147. tru greens price didnt even pay for my fertilizer.

however, tru green has thousands clients and can charge that low of a price.

Just sayin,

Good luck

Penncare
07-13-2011, 01:12 AM
I like Franks method, but I think anyone could beat their price if you delivered their level of quality. Along Franks line of thinking, maybe buy a huge bag of weed seeds and covertly plant them in a thick pattern of the letters TG, then go by and tell the customers that TG has placed a hex on their lawn. Tell them that for the right funds you will help them remove the weed hex and get rid of the weeds.

topsites
07-13-2011, 01:33 AM
If I were the other guy and you were sneaking in behind my back and targeting my customers,
I would hunt you down until I found you and when I do, wtfo because I'm real short on patience
regarding this tactic as you're not the first to try and pull this crap on me.

Don't steal another man's work.
You target EVERY customer on a street including mine, no problem.
But don't you dare come sneaking in behind my back targeting JUST mine.

And I don't care if it's a big company like Trugreen and you don't like them.
Same rules apply, play fair.

vencops
07-13-2011, 06:28 AM
If I were the other guy and you were sneaking in behind my back and targeting my customers,
I would hunt you down until I found you and when I do, wtfo because I'm real short on patience

"Fair"? What in the world are you talking about? What's more "fair" in America than unabridged capitalism?

You're more than welcome to talk to my customers. I mean that, sincerely. If you can get them to switch, I'm not doing my job.

grassmasterswilson
07-13-2011, 07:14 AM
"Fair"? What in the world are you talking about? What's more "fair" in America than unabridged capitalism?

You're more than welcome to talk to my customers. I mean that, sincerely. If you can get them to switch, I'm not doing my job.

very true. nothing secret about what i'm doing. just sending a letter to a specific potential customer who has weed control.

If they are happy pretty good chance they read it and throw it away. I'm hoping they read it walk through the lawn and say.."why are all these weeds here?" If nothing else they get trugreen back to retreat and after a couple of times give me a call back.

Smallaxe
07-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Going cheaper can easily be done up here by bringing the number of apps within reason...

Frank Fescue
07-13-2011, 11:16 PM

You would do no such thing to me. first im a massive weightlifter and shoot fighter and second you lay a hand on me and i'm screaming hate crime. anything goes in the fert and squirt industry, ANYTHING