PDA

View Full Version : Rainbird 5000

JimLewis
10-22-2002, 04:36 AM
Anyone using the new RB 5000 Rotor that just came out recently? It's touted as being the best thing since sliced bread. I am thinking of using them. I just don't totally understand the advantages over the Hunter PGM or the current RB rotors.

I know one thing, we don't like the current RB Rotors at all. But if these new ones are better, we may take a stab at them. We currently use RB for everything except rotors (which we use Hunter PGM or PGP instead).

turfman59
10-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Jim

this is the only thing that I can see as far as any difference.
PGP rotors carry a 2 year warranty from date of manufacturer

RB 5000's carry a five year warranty from date of manufacturer

Last year starting out it was the only thing I used for Rotors, but after doing service work on several clients propertys and seeing pgp's that were in excess of 19 years old I became convinced of there quality and reliability and started using them. I will use either if a customer already has a brand loyalty but i will not discount the RB 5000s installation price. To me its like splitting hairs
Bruce

Ground Master
10-24-2002, 10:17 AM
i've used 5000's for the last 2 years, and I believe there are a better head than the pgp.

I do many repairs and I find that the pgp hex head nozzle adjustment gets jammed with dirt and/or debris.

The 5000 adjusts with a slotted screwdriver for both distance and arc. The nozzles seem to also provide more uniform coverage.

I too have always hated the r-50 and t-bird, but the 5000 has been a very good sprinkler head-----so far.

HBFOXJr
10-24-2002, 11:15 AM
We were given several at a trade show this summer. I wnated to install them at my site with different size nozzles but haven't bothered because of droought restricitions.

The Rain Curtain nozzle (that I always liked) seems to be the claim to fame along with the fact it adjusts similar to Hunter products but it isn't.

The rectangular opening in the Hunter nozzles has seemed to work fairly well in the last few years. I've also been to the factory and have seen their nozzles tested. They set catch cans (electronic I believe) at intervals along the sprinkler trajectory so uniformity can be compared. They run them at different pressures to compare uniformity. They are suppposed to have a very high co-efficiency of uniformity. I don't hear RB saying that.

RB shows pictures of how pretty the water looks. That can be deceptive since what looks good to the eye can be poor distribution.

I reality you don't want the same amount of water being distributed evenly down the trajectory. When you calulate the area of a circle you'll find that there are far fewer square ft in the first 10' from the head than the most distant 10' band ( assuming a rotor of 30' throw). You need a lot of water gouing out and much less on the inside to provide proportional watering.

Green Pastures
10-24-2002, 11:21 AM
A local company Knightscapes, just did an irrigation installation on one of my customers properties. It's 14,011 Sq. Ft. they used Rainbird 5000 series rotors mostly, the rest were Rainbird fountain types. Anyway, this is the best srpinkler system I have ever encountered, there is perfect uniform coverage and there is not 1 sq ft of grass anywhere that is not watered. I know this says alot about Knightscapes experience in installation, but when you have a quality product to start with, it helps you do a good job. I and the customer are very happy with the system.

Scott

JimLewis
10-24-2002, 12:20 PM
i've used 5000's for the last 2 years Huh? These just came out. I just went back to their web site. It says they're called the Rainbird 5000 PLUS. Maybe I forgot to add the PLUS part. Anyway, I was curious about the new Rainbird head, not the ones that have been out for a while. I already don't like those......

This is the animal I am interested in....
http://www.rainbird.com/5000plus/index.html

DanaMac
10-24-2002, 03:54 PM
Don't compare the 5000 Plus to the PGP or PGM. It is more like the Hunter I-20. I'm still a true believer in Hunter. There products have been reliable year after year for me.