PDA

View Full Version : thanks trugreen

jbturf
07-13-2011, 06:56 PM
i lost a longtime (cheapass) customer to trugreen this year,
its in a nice nieghborhood ive got 12 other accts in,

anyways i showed up to do some neighbors today n notice his lawn is badly zebra striped,
his whole 20k front lawn -- how happy that made me!
and it shows real nice from the road

looks like they used a permagreen, and there was a good 10-12 feet between
the passes-(i could see the marks still)- was like 6-8'green stripe and 4 feet of yellow stripe

at least tg finally put some fert on his lawn, its been yellow all year up till now:laugh:
guess he wanted to save some $$ on service, and it looks as though he did:laugh:

maybe he will swallow his pride an call me bk next yr-

Shegardi
07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I probably wouldn't take back, but if I did, it would be with a SUBSTANTIAL price increase.

Smallaxe
07-14-2011, 07:28 AM
I probably wouldn't take back, but if I did, it would be with a SUBSTANTIAL price increase.

Keep it professional...

FERT-TEK
07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Keep it professional...

Tough call......in general I agree with keeping it professional but always look at the pro's and con's of this scenario. The problem is that it is already known that the customer is cheap and might want champagne on a beer budget. You will have to decide for yourself what your margins are and whether or not it is worth getting this customer back. Were they upset over a problem with their lawn when you were servicing it and sending a message, or were they price shopping or did they think that the pretty TGCL flyers and trucks translated to a better lawn? I personally have never felt threatened by the quality of TGCL's work or results. I would love to have a TGCL property next to every one of my accounts and would then run circles around their lawns and customer service. The TGCL technicians do not have a vested interest in the little things that most small to medium sized companies care about. For them it is just a paycheck until they leave and start their own business. I wouldn't give two thoughts to them being in your neighborhood. I would also add that TGCL in my area is pricey, so it is possible that your former customer is not getting a deal by switching to them thinking they were getting a better deal in the beginning. Now they have a shitty lawn and the embarrassment of how it looks with the neighbors you will probably be approached by them soon. Put your best foot forward if you want the account. Worst case scenario is that your former customer realizes TGCL is ripping him off he may go with another competitor who might try to make inroads in that subdivision and cause you to further loose revenue by stealing current or future customers.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Not sure how you stripe with a PG??
Just make sure your overlap is adequate and your good. Can Trugreen not even do this?

As for the customer, I would mark up just a bit if they come back. If they are a pain, that would make up for the hardship. If they wonder why you went up, you can wonder why they walked away from good service in the first place:)

mnglocker
07-14-2011, 11:22 AM
If they wonder why you went up, you can wonder why they walked away from good service in the first place:)

They have 12 prime examples of better values for their money in the neighborhood to remind them.

Hell, I'd call the guy and ask him how TG is working out for him, then suggest he looks and his mess vs. the neighbors.

RigglePLC
07-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Here is an opportunity. Offer to correct the stripes for free. ("We do this all the time.")Subletly suggest he not pay TruGreen--after all they guarantee their work (money back guarantee). Don't forget to point out that you care more, you have more experience than their average driver, better equipment, speak English, will not call them from Kansas City trying to upsell them (aeration, grub control, lime, treatments 7 and 8), your billing mistakes are almost zero. Of course, it wouldn't be eithical to mention the address of that website that has thousands of TruGreen complaints.

jbturf
07-14-2011, 10:20 PM
ty for the inputs

ive been doing this plenty long enough to experience
customers - new or long time - acheve a quality lawn
they are happy with , and then switch to the cheapest service
they can find (and some of them throw it back in my face" beat this price $xx, or im gone") not once have i bent over for one of these types.

but after 2-3 yrs of neglect by tg/ld/scts/lwndg etc...
many have called me back
probably at least 1/2 end up calling back eventually

a price increase? usually , but minimal
there mess turf costs me more to get back into shape (time + $$)
as compared to a regular acct-- a price increase is certainly justified
in my mind, and not just to spite them

this particular acct, he prepaid always for minimal svc, and it is a flat property
so this always made it worthwhile in the past,
despite his cheapness and neglect of his landscape as a whole

would i take him back this year? no - but only casue i dont have time,
im currently trying to find an out of some other accts, were way over booked

ochosdaddy
07-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Zebra stripes from fertilizer? What are you talking about? TG tells me stripes are the result of a mower. ;););)