PDA

View Full Version : If you scalp the ground at a homeowner's house what do you do?

rross
10-22-2002, 09:01 PM
If you scalp the ground at a homeowner's house what do you do?:cry:

KenH
10-22-2002, 09:05 PM
How big of a scalp???

If it is a reasonable size, dig out the same size section somewhere in the yard where it would be unnoticeable, and replace the scalped area with the new piece of sod.

walker-talker
10-22-2002, 09:17 PM
First I usually cuss, then I tell myself exactly what I did wrong that caused so that it won't happen again, get back to mowing and cuss for another 30 seconds.

I have thought about mounting a small box on the mower where I can store some seed. This is more or when my tires cause turf damage.

MATT

greenman
10-22-2002, 10:16 PM
The only time I have ever scalped was from hitting a small hole in the lawn. I just point it out to the customer, and fill the hole in with dirt so I wont scalp it again. Any other time there should be no " if you scalp."

Expert Lawns
10-22-2002, 10:35 PM
did you dig it all the way to the dirt? or just turn i yellow? i've hit a few bumps and turned the grass yellow. all i did was tell the customer that i would raise the deck and be more careful next time. they are usually understandable ... USUALLY :rolleyes:

Green Pastures
10-22-2002, 10:39 PM
Pick a spot on the other side of the lawn and scalp there too, Just so it looks symetrical! :laugh: :D :jester:

Scott

Scotlawncare
10-22-2002, 11:43 PM
It depends on how bad of a scalp. I have had on a few accounts guys i had working for me using a push mower not check the settings on the deck and mowed a strip about 15 ft long that was about 1.5 inches tall on a yard that stays 3". the guy told me about at the end of the day. the customer was fine with it since it was in the back yard. I have scalped a yard when i wasn't used to my mower yet and if it is bad i will do a no charge on the yard. To me customer relations and satisfaction is worth more to me than the 30-35 bucks for that one yard. i'll make that money up faster than getting another customer.

What to do all depends on how bad the yard or spot is that was scalped. Always tell the customer if it's bad.

Scot

Premo Services
10-23-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by walker-talker
First I usually cuss, then I tell myself exactly what I did wrong that caused so that it won't happen again, get back to mowing and cuss for another 30 seconds.

MATT

Sounds like what I do.

[Green Pastures] Pick a spot on the other side of the lawn and scalp there too, Just so it looks symetrical!

GOOD ONE!!!!!!!:D :D :D

SLS
10-23-2002, 12:48 AM
Sometimes we must turn lemons into lemonade.

First, scalp the entire yard so that it is uniform....and thus looks like it was done purposely.

Then tell the customer that you are preparing the lawn for winter dormancy...that cutting it "real short" promotes healthy root growth, less insects, clover and weeds, and rapid green-up in the spring. Sound knowledgable and competant!!! Let them know that you are "The LAWN Expert" here..........

To earn extra 'brownie points' you can also tell them that you usually charge extra for this "special treatment"...but since they are such good customers you went ahead and threw it all of this extra work in at the 'regular' price! :)

You may wind up getting a 'bonus' instead of a 'chewing out'...at the very least the customer will know that you really care about their lawn! :D

scagman
10-23-2002, 12:49 AM
I worked at a golf course for a year or so when I was 17. I mowed all 27 greens by myself and on the second green I didnt lift the reels up in time to miss what you call the collar, a 3-4 Ft strip that goes all the way around the green. The collar & Apron are mowed with a different reel mower thats just set like a 1/2 inch higher, well I scalped into the collar pretty bad and the owner and his son and my boss were always watchin these greens also real hardasses. I just took some fresh cut clippings and smothered it into the scalp. I did this for a week or two untill it was gone. No one noticed. I sometimes will do the same thing on my own lawns.

bobbygedd
10-23-2002, 09:39 AM
dont invite trouble, if its a little spot, dont even mention it

bubble boy
10-23-2002, 09:52 AM
if not asked, i forget it.

if it's mentioned, depends. if its right down to brown dirt, i'll seed the spot for free. if they want sod, gotta charge. I WILL NOT take sod from another spot on the lawn.

if its just a slight scalp, i'll usually tell them it should come back, and hope it does, after a couple weeks if it still hasn't then i'll fix it.

to be honest, the guys have done it more often than i'd like, and so have i. but it has rarely been mentioned.

lucky i guess.

MJStrain
10-23-2002, 10:08 AM
I just get over with it and remember that it will grow back soon enough. After all it's only grass not an antique oriental rug!:rolleyes:

Tvov
10-23-2002, 10:12 AM
If it is bad, we just mention it to the customer. It usually grows right back.

We have found that if you screw up but tell the customer, they understand and appreciate being told immediately. What usually pisses them off is when they find it themselves.

If your customer can't understand that things go wrong sometimes even with you trying your hardest, it may be time to drop the customer.

Flex-Deck
10-23-2002, 06:51 PM
Good answers - I have never scalped so low that the roots would not grow back - Man we are in blue grass country and you would have to scalp 4" deep to kill the roots - But since I mow most of my places (church and cemetary etc on a volunteer basis) I do not have to apologize or explain either.

Thanks, Brad

General Grounds
10-23-2002, 07:37 PM
:blob3: all my trucks carry a small bucket with seed and we repair any damage, esp. after a rainfall no matter how careful you are you make turn marks. people are less pissed we they see you made the effort to correct the problem. tony

IBGreen
10-23-2002, 09:53 PM
run

JasperStorm
10-23-2002, 09:57 PM
I tell the jackazz using the 21" to put the blade back on right side up.

Vibe Ray
10-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Just "feather it in" w/ the trimmer so it is not noticeable and within a week or two you'll be like, "What scalp?" It work's great!

Minnesota
10-24-2002, 12:21 AM
if it goes down to the dirt i rake seed in and dont tell

the customer nothing.

if i scalp down till its yellow i spray paint it, lesco

carries green spray paint, keeps it green till it

growes back

Nebraska
10-24-2002, 01:12 AM
you guys spend a lot of time worrying about small stuff....

Brickman
10-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Vibe Ray
Just "feather it in" w/ the trimmer so it is not noticeable and within a week or two you'll be like, "What scalp?" It work's great!

That is what I usually did, by the next week you could hardly see it.

Once a tire went flat on the WB and the loser running it thought it wouldn't matter to finish the yard with it.
WAS I EVER PISSED. Told the owner, it grew back in a couple of weeks.