PDA

View Full Version : lets see your custom truck/trailer improovements

exmarkguy
07-14-2011, 03:36 AM
Hey everyone, starting my first thread here, searched but didn't see anything about this so i figured id give it a shot. I first wanna say I've been cruising the forums for a few months now and have been learning a lot. I'm 19 yrs old and striving to own my own company.:usflag:

i wanna see everyone's custom made tool boxes and things that they have made to help them do their work more efficiently.

Here's mine for an example. i just bought this truck, its a 92 F250, 5.8 gas, 4wd, manual trans :weightlifter:. first pic is how i bought it, and the second is after i blacked out the wheels and the third is the wood sides i made.

Tomorrow I'm planning on making a shelf type thing close to the cab that is held up by the sides i made already..ill post a pic after I'm done tomorrow.

Richard Martin
07-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Okay...

Here's my custom made flashing parking light for when I'm parked on the side of a busy road.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/th_DSCN0245.jpg (http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCN0245.mp4)

The rest of the trailer features:

Emergency breakaway battery is charged by the truck
It has trimmer, blower and water jug racks by Trimmer Trap
Home made gate assist
LED lighting all around including a third break light built into the clearance light bar
Goodyear Marathon 235/75R15 radial trailer tires

Here's my truck:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/truck6.jpg

I've done so much to it I can't remember it all...

1995 F150 with a 4R70W auto tranny and 5.0 (reverse rotation)
K&N air filter
140,000 miles
vacuum gauge
RoadMaster rear springs
3.55 Traction Lock rearend (Ford's version of Positraction)
Crager 15X8 Soft 8 wheels
Goodyear tires

Richard Martin
07-14-2011, 05:38 AM
BTW, I notice you put the weightlifter after your manual trans listing. The automatic tranny can tow more than the manual tranny.

ALC-GregH
07-14-2011, 09:46 AM
BTW, I notice you put the weightlifter after your manual trans listing. The automatic tranny can tow more than the manual tranny.

If that's the case, why do tractor trailers have manuals?

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
07-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Gotta chime in here, Greg man seems like ur looking for a fight. On this and other threads. He is refering to those two transmissions, not everyone ever made. If your question was honestly b/c u missed that its cool sorry but other wise geez man chill out.

exmarkguy
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM

i just put the weight lifter bar there to complete the whole sentence. Just because its an f-250 lol. I'm a mechanic, so i know my way around trucks, but i don't know much about my specific truck like problems they had ect.

btw nice wheel and tire choice, your truck looks nice.

Gotta chime in here, Greg man seems like ur looking for a fight. On this and other threads. He is refering to those two transmissions, not everyone ever made. If your question was honestly b/c u missed that its cool sorry but other wise geez man chill out.

+1

TNGrassCutter
07-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Richard do you have a close up pic of your flashing light? I need to do something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Aaronnc
07-14-2011, 02:10 PM

In most 1/2 ton trucks, the trannys and clutches in a manual gearbox are too weak to pull a significant load. And by significant, I say around 8000 pounds or more. And before you guys start screaming, yes, your trucks are probably rated much higher (6 tons in some instances) but those ratings are designed under optimal conditions and even then, not designed for daily duty. Plus most (not all) but most do not know how to properly tow with a manual transmission, and burn the clutches up left and right. For a 1/2 ton truck, just best to stay with an automatic and the slightly beefier gearbox. (Better yet, swap out the rear axle and springs and turn it into a 3/4 ton truck!;))

That being said, 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks (and big rigs) are a completely different story. Their trannys and clutches (Allison anyone?) are very heavy duty and are designed to take the abuse. I've always joked around and said my dream truck would be a Ford F250 4X4, manual gearbox with a Cummins engine and Allison tranny. (Like that will ever happen!)

But yeah, 1/2 tons stick with automatic, anything else manual. You can read for days on it if you google it.

outlaw1960
07-14-2011, 02:44 PM

The tractor trailers have anywhere from an 8spd to an 18spd transmission, the clutches wiegh in at 45 plus pounds, not including pressure plates or flywheel. They are designed to handle 900 ft lbs of torque for the small, class 5&6 trucks to over 2200 ft lbs of torque for the class 8's.
The automatics in the 1/2 ton truckes are stronger than the manual transmissions because the manuals are designed more for smooth take offs and easy pedal feel, not towing heavy loads on a consistant basis.

cuttin-to-the-Max
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
We added a custom shelf to the front that holds 3 trimmers 2 backpack blowers and a tool box. They we also added skidsteer ramps to the gate. Which made the gate a little heavy so we made a trailer gate assist system also. NICE TRAILER!

http://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/4/10/22106104-210-8X14-Landscaping-SkidSteer-Trailer.jpg

Richard Martin
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
The F250 5.8 4X4 regular cab 3.55 gears manual tranny has a 6200 maximum trailer limit.

The F250 5.8 4X4 regular cab 3.55 gears auto tranny has a 6300 maximum trailer limit.

Not much difference I'll admit but strangely enough....

My F150 5.0 4X2 regular cab 3.55 gears auto tranny has a 7300 maximum trailer limit.

Who'da thunk? Actually it's the weight of the 4X4 that kills the F250 towing capacity.

Taken from the 1995 F Series Owners Manual. A 1992 F250 probably has the same exact specs.

Richard Martin
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM
http://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/4/10/22106104-210-8X14-Landscaping-SkidSteer-Trailer.jpg

I like your treatments to the rear wheels. Do you mind if I use that?

I took my white spokes off and put heavier duty plain black rims on mine and it looks like crap now.

BINKY1902
07-14-2011, 04:42 PM
You can find those trim rings for the black wheels and they make them look very nice. I had the same wheels on 81 Chevy, black soft eights. I liked them the way they were but with the trim rings it just sets them off.

Km81
07-14-2011, 05:21 PM

You are mistaken sir.
The F250,350, and 450 Trucks in the early 90's had the ZF manual transmission in them. Not only is the ZF, arguably the strongest manual transmission ever made, but it also has the highest gear ratios in it.
Now, on the other hand the Auto's of that generation were E4OD's. They were power robbing slush boxes. They were the first electronically controlled auto transmissions that Ford ever built. They are notorious for overheating, causing catastrophic failure. Add to that, the 25-30% drivetrain power loss and you officially have the worst transmission ever to come out of Dearborn.

exmarkguy
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
We added a custom shelf to the front that holds 3 trimmers 2 backpack blowers and a tool box. They we also added skidsteer ramps to the gate. Which made the gate a little heavy so we made a trailer gate assist system also. NICE TRAILER!

lookin very good! i like the set-up

The F250,350, and 450 Trucks in the early 90's had the ZF manual transmission in them. Not only is the ZF, arguably the strongest manual transmission ever made, but it also has the highest gear ratios in it.

i can vouche for the shortest gear ratios because first gear in this truck is super short. feels like im driving a big rig...hahahah

vencops
07-14-2011, 06:28 PM
I added this to my trailer.......

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/SBGobblers/DSC029032.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/SBGobblers/DSC02905.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/SBGobblers/DSC02906.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/SBGobblers/DSC02907.jpg

Puddle of Oil
07-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Okay...

Here's my custom made flashing parking light for when I'm parked on the side of a busy road.

The rest of the trailer features:

Emergency breakaway battery is charged by the truck
It has trimmer, blower and water jug racks by Trimmer Trap
Home made gate assist
LED lighting all around including a third break light built into the clearance light bar
Goodyear Marathon 235/75R15 radial trailer tires

Here's my truck:

I've done so much to it I can't remember it all...

1995 F150 with a 4R70W auto tranny and 5.0 (reverse rotation)
K&N air filter
140,000 miles
vacuum gauge
RoadMaster rear springs
3.55 Traction Lock rearend (Ford's version of Positraction)
Crager 15X8 Soft 8 wheels
Goodyear tires

what the heck is on your dixie? http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSCN0245.mp4#!oZZ13QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs208.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb56%2FRMartin631 %2Fmower%2520stuff%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Ddixie_1.jpg

Precislawn
07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
http://members.cox.net/precisionlawn/LawnSite/Leaf%20Rig.jpg

This trailer was purchased new as a 16ft with 4ft sides and a 2ft x 2ft tool box up front.

Many updates to the trailer over the years.......

Spare tire rack
Waterproof Tool Box mounted on the right fender
Custom Made Expanded Metal Water Jug Holder
PVC Pipe garden tool holders
Jerry Can Mount
Enclosed Plywood Top W/lift open front hatch
Extended the Rear Gate to match the plywood top height
Added Spring Assist to the Rear Gate
Extended the front toolbox all the way to the floorboards
Added side entry doors to the front tool box
Trimmer Line Spool Holder
Trimmer Rack inside top tool box
Modified Front for leaf loader installation
Heavy Duty 2-5/16" Front Coupler (after 2" coupler broke)

Richard Martin
07-14-2011, 07:43 PM
what the heck is on your dixie?

Yeah, I can't take credit for that. That is one of two turbine powered Dixies built by the factory. They did it because they could and to prove how strong the frame is. The faster of the two hit 80+ MPH.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/dixie_1.jpg

dieseltech
07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
You are mistaken sir.
Now, on the other hand the Auto's of that generation were E4OD's. They were power robbing slush boxes. They were the first electronically controlled auto transmissions that Ford ever built. They are notorious for overheating, causing catastrophic failure. Add to that, the 25-30% drivetrain power loss and you officially have the worst transmission ever to come out of Dearborn.

Well done... Well done brother
Posted via Mobile Device

TuffWork
07-14-2011, 07:55 PM
I think the champion for this thread should be the guy on here with the E450 Dovetail conversion. Where's he at today?

Oxmow
07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Hey Precislawn how old is that 251 with the backpack catcher ya got there? Ive got one as well. Haven't used it in a couple of years though.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
07-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I can't take credit for that. That is one of two turbine powered Dixies built by the factory. They did it because they could and to prove how strong the frame is. The faster of the two hit 80+ MPH.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/mower%20stuff/dixie_1.jpg

I got to ride that serval yrs back That is something I'll never forget

Precislawn
07-14-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey Precislawn how old is that 251 with the backpack catcher ya got there? Ive got one as well. Haven't used it in a couple of years though.

2000 model, it's getting harder to get parts for it as time goes on but I sure love the way it mulches leaves!

rcslawncare
07-14-2011, 11:27 PM

Not sure on towing capacity, but my handshaker tows a trailer 10 times better than an auto. Super low 1st gear is easy to take off and you can always be in the right gear. Its the only way I like to tow, engine breaking is great.

Snapper Jack
07-15-2011, 05:59 AM
You are mistaken sir.
You haven't ripped opened many ZF's have you? Well I have only to find stripped gears, stripped counter shafts,etc,etc. They where a piece of crap from the get-go,probably designed by the same aliens who designed the A4LD. Your best manual transmissions will always be housed in cast iron.

Richard Martin
07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
You haven't ripped opened many ZF's have you? Well I have only to find stripped gears, stripped counter shafts,etc,etc. They where a piece of crap from the get-go,probably designed by the same aliens who designed the A4LD. Your best manual transmissions will always be housed in cast iron.

1992 was also the first year for the EODE or 4R70W but I didn't want to argue with him about it.

Richard Martin
07-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Richard do you have a close up pic of your flashing light? I need to do something like that.

It's a standard LED Stop/Tail/Turn light mounted into an old mower battery box I cut to fit the fender. The 12V comes from the truck. The switch is a simple weather proof toggle. The flasher is a special LED flasher I got from www.superbrightleds.com. The last pic shows the grommet where the power wire passes through the step plate on the side of the trailer.

Snapper Jack
07-16-2011, 12:10 AM
1992 was also the first year for the EODE or 4R70W but I didn't want to argue with him about it.
Been in the transmission business far to long to let that one slide by:laugh:

WPS85
07-16-2011, 10:03 AM
I added this to my trailer.......

Looks nice!

Have any pictures with it on your trailer?

jsslawncare
10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I think the champion for this thread should be the guy on here with the E450 Dovetail conversion. Where's he at today?

I agree also.

Knight511
10-13-2011, 11:49 PM

Modern ones aren't limited to that anymore. There are automatic tractors roaming those roads.... ;)

flatlander42
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM

I just found this thread, and I must say Thanks!

By the way.....it is for sale if anybody is wondering.

slqlc
10-18-2011, 08:12 PM
why are you selling it?

flatlander42
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
why are you selling it?

Got a Welding job and no longer need a dedicated mowing truck. Feel free to check the links in my signature.....and let this thread go back to normal!

Continue on everybody!:waving:

wahlturfcare
10-19-2011, 05:28 PM
here a picture of one of my trailers with the truck. the trailer i've added all the racks, built the bagger carrier, dethatcher, leaf plow, gate assist, etc.. racks. I also built the light boxes as the stock ones you couldn't see both from behind as they were too far up front. I also added ramp carriers underneath for a couple place that they are needed.

The truck i've added the dump to it, sidewing setup, light bar, mirrors, etc..

wahlturfcare
10-19-2011, 05:31 PM
picture #2

Richard Martin
10-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Aren't you missing a kitchen sink in there too?