PDA

View Full Version : Echo ES-2400 Shred n Vac

Blessed 1
10-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Bought a new Echo ES-2400 Shred n Vac today. Does any one have any experience with them? I used it today on hedge debris, but I still undecided on if it was a wise investment.:confused:

mike9497
10-22-2002, 09:36 PM
its junk i had one.if you suck up to main leaves at a time it clogs up if you get a small stick in the fan blade it locks right up and u have to pull the fan housing apart.

Randy Scott
10-22-2002, 09:45 PM
I bought a unit from Tanaka. I don't know their name for it off the top of my head. All I can say is they have their place. It's not the "answer all" to cleaning up shrub trimming debris but it works in some areas. Actually I used it today. I clean up the majority with a leaf rake and then use it to clean up the smaller pieces in and around the mulch. I guess what it does is speed up the cleanup of the real small pieces that would take forever to pick out of the mulch, which would inevitably end up staying there because it would drive you nuts. So in the end, you get a better finished product at a relatively healthy investment. So, whatever you want to make of that endorsement is up to you. I've had mine for about 6 weeks and I'm still up in the air as to it's worth. I guess, since you can get every last little piece out of the mulch or stone relatively quick, it was worth it. Confused yet? :dizzy:

TurfPro
10-22-2002, 10:41 PM
I use mine quite a bit on commercial jobs that have big parking lots...I blow the debris into the corners of the curb wit hmy backpack,then run thru and suck it all up.
That way trash doesnt get blown into the grass or street.

PaulJ
10-22-2002, 11:53 PM
I've used the Shred-n-Vac , now I have a simmilar unit made by
Efco, thats right Efco not Echo. (this was the only one My favorite dealer had.)

I like to use it to get the leaves etc.. out ov those places that a blower just doesn't do. Example: windowells, recesed doorways, the curb where the truck is parked, and other places that the mower didn't pick up all leaves or when the wind wo'nt let me blow things where I want them.

As far as brand . The jurys still out. I don't like the funky automatic choke release that Efco uses but I here that other brands are going to this also.

Hpe you are able to put your shred-n-vac to good use.

Premo Services
10-23-2002, 12:11 AM
I have had one for a few years, and find it very useful for cleaning shrub trimmings out of landscaped areas that have vines or groundcover in them. Also very useful when trimming barberry bushes, I just make the cuttings small enough to fit in the tube. These bushes are a PITA cleaning up, with the small pricky throns.
Also for cigg butts and paper in parking lots.
There is more I use it for but this is the main usage.

Tony Harrell
10-23-2002, 05:28 AM
Those shred n vac's are good for tight places like beds and shrubbery. Also where your tires meet the curb. Ever drive away and see 4 little patches of cut grass next to the curb? I've used mine for years and would buy another if need be.

BRIAN GALLO
10-23-2002, 12:44 PM
I use one for cleaning up shrub clippings and parking lots also. It's light, has a nice long tube and a lot of suction. The only downfall is as someone mentioned, sticks or larger mulch pieces. They tend to clog the blower because there is very little room between the housing. I have an old Craftsman blower/vac that actually works better in mulch because the impeller only has 5 blades, so there is plenty of room to let big stuff by. That's the only downfall to the Echo; it does get annoying unclogging the fins.

Art Stubbs handy 58
10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
I use mine daily, i bought mine two years ago, and never chage it from vac to blower it's strickley a vac for sidewalk clean up i do daily , shrub clean up, parkinglot corners. Its great for debris pick up like cig butts in front of commercial property entry doors, and all the other stuff people are too lazy to put in the trash can next to the door... Just make sure you keep the screen clean in the carb, it has a tendency to get clogged fast . :D

Blessed 1
10-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the replys. I used it again yesterday and it is useful in flower beds and getting the grass of curbs, but I wish Echo had thought to put a quick disconnect clamp to take off the tube because it is annoying as hell to stop-Take a screw diver and lossen the clamp- remove the debris-reinstall the tube-retighten the clamp. That gets old QUICK:angry: Its good to know I am not alone:rolleyes:

GarPA
10-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Bleesed1..I have that unit and I find it useful. in tight spots and as mentioned above, for those darn barberries. You need to get a Leatherman and clip it your belt....this little tool saves a ton of time in tightening tool bolts, cutting small things...etc.

We do 4 U
10-24-2002, 09:44 PM
Amen on the Leatherman!! Do not leave leave home with out it.

PaulJ
10-25-2002, 01:00 AM
That's one of the things I like about the Efco I have. The change form vac to blow requiers no tools. The intake tube just turns and locks in slots like the output tube. I remember carrying a screwdriver in my pocket when runing the Echo.