PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Connectors - Lighting Shrink

JimLewis
07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm sure a lot of you guys use these.

http://www.lightingshrink.com/SiteResources/Modules/webstore/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=15

We're installing a LOT more lighting this year than we have in the past (mostly all Kichler LED these days) and I've been buying these brass crimps / heat shrink kits locally and paying way too much for them. So I decided to order in bulk from this site instead. Only thing is I can't tell from the photos which size I need. I mainly run a 10g/2 main run of wire around the landscape and then install the lights in a daisy chain fashion by just tapping in to make a connection wherever needed. At the point of connection we'll go down to like a 16g/2 wire for a few ft. over to the fixture. I'm usually splicing together (2) of the 10g. strands and (1) of the 16g. strands together.

So do I need the medium or large connectors?

bcg
07-14-2011, 08:33 PM
You need the small.

JimLewis
07-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks Bernie! And thanks too for the advice on Kichler LED last winter. We've been very happy and extremely successful with them this year. Just landed a job the other day with 56 fixtures! Probably the most # of fixtures we've ever put in at one time. I have properties with more than that. But they started with 20-30 and kept adding every few months or years......

Just sold another small Kichler system today!

Hope your year is going well Bernie. Don't burn up down there in the TX heat.

bcg
07-14-2011, 11:24 PM
The heat has been brutal this year. Actual temps of 96 - 100 every day since May, heat index routinely 105 or more, and no rain to speak of since Jan. We're 16" behind for the year.

I just finished up a nice job, about 110 fixtures, and landed a great commercial job to start next quarter at a racquet club and added about 45 fixtures at another job when they built a guest house. Other than that we've been mostly irrigation this year because of the drought.

You'll like the lighting shrink connectors. I've been running hubs off a single home run on LED stuff instead of t-ing just to make troubleshooting easier and using lighting shrink on the 16ga connection to the fixture and ace connectors at the hub (mainly because I can add/remove easily with the ace until I heat shrink them). I've been really happy witht eh crimp connections though.

niteliters
07-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Jim, if you have 2 10/2 and a 16-2you might want medium. I am not out in the field installing though. you might want to get some samples of each to be for sure. I do know our installers love them. Glad to hear you're using them