10-23-2002, 10:32 PM
ok let me try,

open the everyday lawncare cook book:

a dash of lime:
a smidge of k
stick a fork in it to venilate:
a nice covering of "n"

14 day's later a nice green lawn or a really good bagel:

under no means was this intended to inform or train a lesser individual:: this was mear fun for a good laugh...

KirbysLawn
10-23-2002, 11:11 PM
Looks good to me.

tremor
10-24-2002, 06:42 PM
Mike,

Even though this soil will meet the needs of common turfgrasses grown for lawns (it is a lawn right?), we need to remember that turf uses more nutrients than even "perfect" soils can deliver. We just don't fix atmospheric nitrogen in these parts to meet the turfs full time needs.

A good addition to this test might have been Organic Matter Content. You just can't have too much OM. This would open up additional sales opportunities with a client who found the "interpretation of results" to be that of perfection.

For turf, all this test means is that a standard 4-1-2 ratio will suffice without the need for deviation or special elemental additions.

There are some other crops that would benefit from a little more Mg & some wouldn't be happy in the near basic Ph condition.

Are we looking to grow turf? What kind?

Steve

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 06:48 PM
Damn, I was waiting for some one to screw up and post the wrong thing.

Fescue turf. . . . . . . moderate shade.

The reason for the test was to find out "why" the turf is shallow rooting.

tremor
10-24-2002, 07:29 PM
How compacted is the soil. Texture OK?
I've been known to recommend & have seen the benefits of deept tine aerating (6"), & then dragging in massive quantities of Turface infield conditioner.

Steve

LAWNGODFATHER
10-24-2002, 07:54 PM
I aerated the piss out of it this fall, the worst areas I roto-tilled them up, and seeded them.

I guess I should have added some more chit to it when I tilled it?

I can add some stuff to it this spring.

tremor
10-24-2002, 08:15 PM
Without Turface, I don't think I could grow anuals in my front yard. The soil was way too heavy when I bought this place.
Turface, Manure, & Peat moss have changed the structure significantly.
Worms & Microbes consume the organic matter more quicky than most people (myself included) can reasonably replace it. But the Turface stays put for many years.
Check this link.

Steve

http://www.profileproducts.com/lawn/index.html

greenman
10-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Well, I aint the smartest guy around, lgf, but you aint gonna fool me with that. So Ill tell you how to fix it. Just sit back and watch the grass grow.

joshua
10-30-2002, 08:36 PM
Is it really a chemical inbalance or could it be a hard pan? a hard pan can prevent the roots from growing deeper( i believe ). lets say you aerated at 3inches for 8 years starught you could actulally do more harm than good and create a hard pan. which might be your problem