PDA

View Full Version : edging material

greenman
10-22-2002, 10:56 PM
What do you guys use as edging when the customer wants just a simple bed like against a house that doesnt have to be raised? Black plastic edging? Green metal edging? Does anyone even use landscape timbers anymore?

What about a bed that has to be raised because of drop off or and incline? Something cheap and simple.

Whats the going rate for installs? $.50 per foot. $1 per foot.

mowngrow
10-22-2002, 11:09 PM
i dont price it by the foot i price buy the job all things considered of course. i prefer col-met edging it lasts forever

neighborguy
10-25-2002, 10:11 AM
I personally prefer the simple manual cut edge, no physical barrier other than a trench. If they have to have a physical barrier I usually use the vinyl edging.

CMerLand
10-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Weve used a product called permaloc around here. Its an 1/8 X4 inch aluminum edging sold in 16 ft sections with aluminum stakes that are driven down the sides of the edging. The ends interlock so you are left with a clean, continuous edge thats practically invisible, will not ever rot or rust, needs no maintenance and IF it frost heaves, you can just tap it back into place.

Black plastic edgings suck. They frost heave out of the ground and are difficult to get back in the ground. Over time the UV rays deteriote them to the point that they explode into pieces if touched with a weedeater, and they dont look all that nice.

Dont ever price it by the foot but by the job. Installed some along an asphalt driveway earlier this year because the mulch was washing out and had to rent a jackhammer to cut the edge of the driveway. Every job has different conditions so price accordingly.

CMerrick

wmsland
10-25-2002, 08:39 PM
I'm with neighborguy nothing looks better than a nice crisp hand cut edge. If you have a lot of edging to do look into something like the Brown Trenchmaster it does an excellent job one of the best investments I ever made. Pricing around .50 to .75 cents per foot depending on conditions.

greenman
10-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Thats just it, I dont do alot of edging. If I do I usually just dig it out with a hoe, then lay the black plastic/vinyl or metal edging by hand. I just wanted to see what everyone used mostly just for a small, simple job. I was wondering if anyone used landscape timbers anymore for edging.

WEEDEATER
01-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Is there a website that i can look at for aluminium edging or where do you guys purchase it from?

GarPA
01-24-2003, 02:57 PM
As said above, if you want a professional looking job, then hand cut a natural edge about 4" deep...either by hand or with the Trenchmaster above..the price per foot noted above is reasonable....just my opinion but edging of any kind does not hold up well and frankly looks tacky....take a look at all the landscape magazines of the properties they show...almost always you will see a deep, crisp, natural edge....and the cost can actually be less then making the cut and then installing whatever....just my opinion

Tim Canavan
01-25-2003, 12:21 AM
Plastic edging is horrible. If the customer doesn't want rock or stone, I have used the green metal edging. I am looking into something called "fiber edge" that I had seen at an expo here in Houston.
No, I don't use landscape timbers anymore. They rot. Just 2 weeks ago I talked a lady into replacing her old rotted timbers with moss rock.

devildog
01-25-2003, 07:39 AM
priced by the foot (and total lineal footage) and degree of difficulty. shovel & trench edging is a liablity exposure, that requires constant attention, also increases the chances of scalping. with regards... devildog

Old Hippy
02-01-2003, 07:25 AM
I used a Turfco Edge r Rite with the 30degree installer blade and cut a 30 degree angle out of the bed edge. Just cut it with the machine pick up the grass then I then laid in paving bricks with plastic under to keep out weeds. The bricks lay in at an angle grass side is even with the top of the soil and the side to the bed is up about 3 inches to hold in mulch. Looks great, from a ways away the bricks look like they are standing up yet I can mow over them and there is no trimming. The 3 inch inside hold the mulch (wood cedar) so it will not go qnywhere. Sold it as a decorative idea but it cut out alot of string trimming around beds. Even keeps the mulch in with our Nebraska winds

oldhippy, from Nebraska

Bigfoot
02-01-2003, 09:14 AM
I used treated 4"x 4"s around my own home for edging. They should last longer than landscape timbers because of the higher level of treatment. ( Don't know if these should be used were kids might be playing around them. )

turfman59
02-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by devildog
priced by the foot (and total lineal footage) and degree of difficulty. shovel & trench edging is a liablity exposure, that requires constant attention, also increases the chances of scalping. wi
th regards... devildog

Where is the liability exposure? in the mowing? if you have any trim side on your mower there isnt going to be any scalping. I guess I misunderstood you quote.

little green guy
02-03-2003, 11:06 AM
I like the natural hand dug edge the best. I think it looks less slopy and just much cleaner.

turfman59
02-03-2003, 08:02 PM
I am with you on the hand dug edge, but if your using stone you have to have an edge.

baddboygeorge
02-08-2003, 12:41 AM
i prefer the dirt, cut an edge in , it works great !!