PDA

View Full Version : Please help a rookie kill wild violet and white clover

clydesdale
07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I have these two weeds, (and one other unidentified weed that I will need help later with), and need to get rid of these. Can you tell me what I need to do? Thank you.

bx24
07-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Easy fix...do a search on here...I know what I use on my own lawn (use a search)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-16-2011, 12:14 AM
clyde, you a homeowner?
If so, contact a local LCO and they will handle it for you.

If not, use a product with Triclopyr for those weeds. TZone is what I am using.
Imprelis absolutely SMOKES those tough-to-kills but it is in deep poo right now.

RigglePLC
07-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Drive XLR does rather well on clover and wild violet, include surfactant. Perhaps alternate 7 days apart with a product containing triclopyr and dicamba.

bx24
07-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I tried Drive (old gran stuffl; 1lb bottle) and it sucked on my own lawn..went to a product with "triclopyr + clopyralid" and smokes it...YMMV

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Drive XLR does rather well on clover and wild violet, include surfactant. Perhaps alternate 7 days apart with a product containing triclopyr and dicamba.

I've had great results with a spot mix of Drive XLR8 and Surge. I just hit the patches that survived from a strait application of Surge earlier in the season.

I tried Drive (old gran stuffl; 1lb bottle) and it sucked on my own lawn..went to a product with "triclopyr + clopyralid" and smokes it...YMMV

I've never had that problem. Even in some of the worst CG, the existing grass stays green.

bx24
07-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I've never had that problem. Even in some of the worst CG, the existing grass stays green.

I still have one bottle left of the drive and I am done. It works but you need to apply a sticker or the oil and twice for certain weeds. For CG, never wored all that good for me; but, I think I did apps to thin..

The kicker is the new Drive XLR8 is cheaper then the old, at least for me.

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I still have one bottle left of the drive and I am done. It works but you need to apply a sticker or the oil and twice for certain weeds. For CG, never wored all that good for me; but, I think I did apps to thin..

The kicker is the new Drive XLR8 is cheaper then the old, at least for me.

Drive won't work well unless you've got the right surfactant for it. I use Match-Up for it as recommended by my supplier.

I did 3000 square feet yesterday of almost solid CG and all but one little strip I missed was light yellow.

Even when it rains the residual kicks in for even better results.

I think last year I goofed and only put 1/3 the rate on 1 acre and didn't get a complete kill, but excellent stunting and control.

bx24
07-16-2011, 10:21 PM
I used a sticker and MO and nothing...I have (1) bottle left and will skip it next time.Dim2 works better and cheaper. And for weeds, hell, there are better products out there....

dgw
07-17-2011, 08:00 AM

yea , but its no longer labeled for residential

dgw
07-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I've had great results with a spot mix of Drive XLR8 and Surge. I just hit the patches that survived from a strait application of Surge earlier in the season.

i just made my first spot mix of drive and t-zone yesterday

similar to yours , but with tric

i only have lesco sticker currently so i hope that works ok

i hit some test areas yesterday

violet,CG, purslane ,sedge, clover and oxalis

CG is wilting already and the purslane was black and dead within hours

clydesdale
07-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys. I have a very small lawn mowing service. So, I am not sure if I can even get the chemicals. I do not have a pesticide/herbicide liscence. However, these weeds are on my parents lawn and I want to see if I can get rid of them. I went to the local nursery and they suggested "weed b -gone. But, I was hoping there was something more potent that I would be able to purchase. Are any of the above mentioned chemicals available to a homeowner? Thanks.

White Gardens
07-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks guys. I have a very small lawn mowing service. So, I am not sure if I can even get the chemicals. I do not have a pesticide/herbicide liscence. However, these weeds are on my parents lawn and I want to see if I can get rid of them. I went to the local nursery and they suggested "weed b -gone. But, I was hoping there was something more potent that I would be able to purchase. Are any of the above mentioned chemicals available to a homeowner? Thanks.

Gordon's Trimec Plus. It's basically three chemicals for broadleafs along with a crab-grass killer. You can find it at some home stores and I know Tractor Supply carries it.

You won't get 100% death, but you'll get a good to great control on the weeds. A second application in the fall will help.

Just make sure you follow all the label directions and read it from cover to cover. The temps are you biggest enemy this time of year.