PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Iron

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2002, 12:52 AM
I did one liquid chelated Iron app on one of my accounts when it began to brown a little in the summer. I was hooked quickly on it. I still use it on occasion here and there. But I've thought about working it into my fertilize program for good.

Are there any things to think about in doing this? I've really not taken the time to educate myself properly on this issue. The most important thing I know is that it works. Are there any down sides, ill effects ect???

I'm thinking of doing some Iron for this fall. I've never applied it in the fall. I even thought of trying it on some of my seeded lawns as well.

Even though Ironite is expensive, I thought of using it instead of the spray. I think it would be easier as you apply it with a speader. Are there any other Iron prducts in pellet form I should consider? I'm just rattling on now. Gimmie your thoughts here please!

1grnlwn
10-23-2002, 01:03 AM
Did you use fertilizer with it? How long did the green up last?

Mark

greenman
10-23-2002, 01:05 AM
Ironite is the only one in pellet form that I have seen. It is more expensive, buts its easier/faster to apply. I doesn't work as fast though. The liquid works in about a day or less, the Ironite takes about 4 or 5 days.

As far as using it in the fall, I dont think it would benefit much. Dormacy will take place anyway.

As far as adding it to your aplications(Iron), it would be just the same (and cheaper) to buy the fert with the FE in it w/slow release N. Same results.

MOW ED
10-23-2002, 07:37 AM
I have not had a personal negative experience but I have read that if you apply the liguid iron the night before freezing temps, you will get a BLACK lawn. I believe that if you over apply, this also happens.
I have applied it at different times over the summer and like the deep green that it produced.
I have a granular product that is 4%iron and it really made the lawns nice. Long lasting green too.
I'm gonna keep using it next year.

MATTHEW
10-23-2002, 08:22 AM
Granular iron tends to last a bit longer due to its slower assimilation process. Liquid works faster because it penetrates the present leaf tissue and greens it.

Personally, I use it in the liquid form and tank mix it with herbicides. If you do this, you want to use a good 100% chelated form rather than the cheap stuff.
It is much more cost effective.

The only thing is, you should avoid using it on diseased lawns, as the damaged tissues will not green up and will actually stick out more.

Do a search on it. Lots of great threads in the last year.

tremor
10-23-2002, 10:13 AM
I recently took an interest in growing competition grade Dills' Atlantic Giant Pumpkins. As a hobby, not a professional endeavor. Like everything else, Giant Pumpkins are endowed with several cool internet websites.

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/

One of the message board participants asked me if I sell Ironite. We don't sell it, so I did a search. WOW. Ironite's website was down, so I clicked the next one down on the google search page results. Thanks to the power of google & this forum, we now have the opportunity to learn more than we ever wanted to know about this subject.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/risk/ironite.htm

Ironite doesn't seem to get marketed around here (freight costs?), so before this week, I knew little about the brand. We do sell a granular iron though.

Iron Plus Granular 20%Fe, 8Mn, 5Mg, 7.5S 50lb
Also known as Granusol from American Minerals.

So now I'm wondering if we also having mining tailings in our own bag with their myriad of "other undesirable elements".

Apparently not, accroding to the State of Washington's "Toxic Metals in Fertilizers" data base.

http://www-app2.wa.gov/agr/supply1.asp

Ironite 1-0-0 4.5% Iron tested 2910ppm lead, 4380ppm aresenic

Granusol 20% Iron tested <.05ppm lead, <.5ppm arsenic

Interesting reading on a subject I rarely even think about. And we thought all granular iron was the same. I did anyway.

I can't help but be concerned with all the granular iron that's being used even by the "organic lawn care" crowd. This wouldn't make good press. And we know that certain leftward leaning liberals like to lurke this forum. Me and my big mouth.

Go figure.

Spraying Chelated iron (or Iron Sulfate) will offer the quickest response on the plants. Yes, applying to frosty or droughty turf will blacken all the bilghted foliage. Over application will do the same thing. But there's no reason to use more than is needed, so when applied to healthy turf, there is no quicker way to deepen color. Very important on alkaline soils too, where dificiencies are most likely.

Here at my own house, any time I see the need to spray anything as a blanket, I include 4-6 oz of Chelated Iron. Why not?

It's not a substitue for a good fertility program. But it does compliment it well.

Steve

Envy Lawn Service
10-23-2002, 11:59 AM
TREMOR,

Holly cow!!! And to think I was actually considering putting some Ironite out by "hand" on one lawn today. I'm glad I dropped by for a break today! This just goes to show that we all need to be careful and research the products we handle.

They don't print MSDS sheets of stuff for nothing. I'll be education myself on these Iron products a bit more before using them again. Thanks for the links. They look like a good place to start.

P.S. I'm just guessing that these are not at all desireable levels.

tremor
10-23-2002, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't get too worried about occupational exposure. But I would use a spreader & wear a dust mask on those windy days. My only point is with some recent comments I heard from a "Natural Organic Lawn Care" guy. (Not on this forum, real world encounter) On the one hand he was complaining about the price of our granular Iron. While touting the organic benefits of using Iron. Iron is not organic. It's a mineral. So the statement wasn't accurate in the first place. But now I wonder if the cheaper iron he found (pennies per 1000 sq ft), was heavily burdened with arsenic, lead, & mercury. Kind of fles in the face of the hug-a-tree marketing scheme the guy is using. Of course they also apply herbicides, so maybe they don't care about truth in advertising at all. I don't know.
Either way, I now have a valid reason for the cost difference. Shoveling up the tailings from the end of an iron mines useful lifespan is hardly the specific production of quality plant foods. It's an inudustrial clean up operation with a truly creative recycling sceheme tied to it.
Good work for those who find it.

Steve

MATTHEW
10-23-2002, 08:47 PM
Good point, TREMOR. I've yet to meet an "all organic" guy who doesn't use chemical weed controls (or have lawns with 8"dandilions!)

There are a lot of huggers blocking a Mauget!:p