PDA

View Full Version : hot weather and nutsedge

SimonCX
07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Anyone else having problems, it's been close to 90 or over for a while now and I have a couple clients where nutsedge is going like crazy. I'm hoping it cools down a bit soon so I can spray it but it seems like this year nutsedge is going out of control almost every client and neighbor has it.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
07-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Yup just keep educating the customers. Yes its an eysore but manageable under the right conditions and it is annual.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
07-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I haven't (admittedly) read up on this pest as much as I should have. It's hot here, too. I'm spraying yellow nutsedge, currently. But, it's only in a secluded spot that's pretty hearty.

I know (at least here) it likes moisture. Luckily, the accounts I have it in are experiencing "acceptable" levels.

Young Bros
07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
We use Surge in the warmer weather. The sulfentrazone suppresses nutsedge. We spray crabgrass with Solitare, so we hit the nutsedge again with that. It has a high % of sulfentrazone so the double hit shuts it down good. We used to use Sedgehammer, but it is more of a pain to have another backpack with that in it too, since we need one for Solitare, one for Round up, & one for Perimeter Insect Protection.

SimonCX
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
I was going to pick up surge the next time I was at lesco because it's states that it can be used to 90, I've been using q4 or momentum fx2 with good results but when the temps reach 80 sometimes it burns the grass and 85 I won't spray it. I keep telling customers why I can't spray and sometimes I think the nutsedge bothers me more then my customers. I hope the temps go down alittle in the next 2 weeks.

qualitylawnpro
07-15-2011, 08:33 PM
does the temperature need to be under a certain temp to use sedgehammer?

Young Bros
07-15-2011, 09:07 PM
does the temperature need to be under a certain temp to use sedgehammer?

I would not want to even walk on a lawn >90 degrees, let alone put water or chemicals on it above that temp.

fireman gus
07-15-2011, 09:08 PM
We use Sedgehammer. For us it has done wonders. Temperature has never been a proble--hot or mild. We only spot spray nutsedge.

Az Gardener
07-15-2011, 09:13 PM
It is probably our biggest turf weed here in AZ. here is what I have learned. Prior to the summer solstice, around the 4th of July, the plant the is using stored starches in the nut to put out new growth. It is not taking in or storing starches so the more expensive true kill products like certantee or sedge-hammer do not work. After the solstice begins the plant begins storing up for next year so thats when these products work best as the chemicals are taken into the roots and nut so the chem's can do their thing.

So prior to solstice any product that knocks it down is a good thing. Our local research says a combo of Image and MSMA works best.

The temperature issue I believe is because of use on cool season grasses like Rye and Fescue. It will probably burn those varieties at the higher temperature's. Although I have noticed we have better success when we spray first thing in the morning when its below 100

ted putnam
07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
It is probably our biggest turf weed here in AZ. here is what I have learned. Prior to the summer solstice, around the 4th of July, the plant the is using stored starches in the nut to put out new growth. It is not taking in or storing starches so the more expensive true kill products like certantee or sedge-hammer do not work. After the solstice begins the plant begins storing up for next year so thats when these products work best as the chemicals are taken into the roots and nut so the chem's can do their thing. So prior to solstice any product that knocks it down is a good thing. Our local research says a combo of Image and MSMA works best.

The temperature issue I believe is because of use on cool season grasses like Rye and Fescue. It will probably burn those varieties at the higher temperature's. Although I have noticed we have better success when we spray first thing in the morning when its below 100

This is good to know. We switched from Sedgehammer to Certainty this year due to poor results with the former. I think the poor results were because that is what we have been using the last few years and it was time for a change.The nutgrass seemed to be drinking it like Kool-Aid. We've been using Certainty since the nutgrass first emerged back in the spring. We've had very good results up to this point. According to your info, results should be outstanding from here on out...

gqnine44
07-15-2011, 11:45 PM
unless i missed it Solitare doesnt mention heat except when it talks about surfactants. its says not to use sufactants because they can cause discoloration of turf...no mention of temp restrictions on the solitare alone. anyone had problems with solitare in the heat?

kipcom
07-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Honestly..... you never want to apply any chemical that you do not understand how it works. 1st educate yourself on the product and then educate your customer on the product. This is best for achieving the customers expectations.. the more they understand the better you look to them as the service provider.

Basic rule::: never apply a chemical when conditions are 1) Dry(non irrigated / no rainfall expected for 3 + days 2) Heat above 85 deg.
3) Applicator is unsure of the product use.

Perception is one of the best tools you can use and its FREE !

GrandMaster
07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Honestly..... you never want to apply any chemical that you do not understand how it works. 1st educate yourself on the product and then educate your customer on the product. This is best for achieving the customers expectations.. the more they understand the better you look to them as the service provider.

Basic rule::: never apply a chemical when conditions are 1) Dry(non irrigated / no rainfall expected for 3 + days 2) Heat above 85 deg.

We love using gly on blue grass when its 95 plus F. It works so well p.s be sure to add li700 also 4 pints per acre.:dizzy:

Az Gardener
07-19-2011, 10:39 PM

If I had to wait for temps below 85 we couldn't spray from March-Nov. :laugh:

Young Bros
07-20-2011, 07:21 AM
If I had to wait for temps below 85 we couldn't spray from March-Nov. :laugh:

Yeah it's a different world down there. Up North we try & stop spraying around 85 so we don't hurt our Northern grasses.

Smithers
07-23-2011, 11:36 AM
i had that in few yards last year. I used sedgehammer, but it did not do anything. Expensive as hell too. I think i paid $20 for one oz or something like that. I was very, very dissapointed.

this year it's back again and i am just wondering what to apply. Can't do roundup since it's now in the grass area as well.

I hate this weed. More so than crabgrass, since i can't control it.

:dizzy:

R & R Yard Designs
07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Put round up on a sponge and wipe in on the sedge
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
07-23-2011, 04:40 PM
i had that in few yards last year. I used sedgehammer, but it did not do anything. Expensive as hell too. I think i paid $20 for one oz or something like that. I was very, very dissapointed.

this year it's back again and i am just wondering what to apply. Can't do roundup since it's now in the grass area as well.

I hate this weed. More so than crabgrass, since i can't control it.

:dizzy:

Sedgehammer works very well...(with a non ionic surfactant) you got to hit the sedge at the right time... right at about 2-3 buds on it, even then you'll have to go back a couple of times. Once it grows too mature you are throwing your money away. Mow it down & when it starts budding again, then hit it.

By the way, carefully reading the label helps, and looking up nutsedge at you local extension web site will teach you the characteristics of this pervasive weed so you can better understand how to control it.

As far as turf applications are concerned, I would avoid treatments when it's much over 85 degrees or likely to be in the next day or so. This will be an area of contention here. I only spray Celsius when it's above 85, but it won't help you for sedge.

I'd actually like to know what to use on wild onion & wild garlic.

maynardGkeynes
07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceCorrect. Or a brush. Goodbye sedge.

Young Bros
07-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Correct. Or a brush. Goodbye sedge.

How many customers do you guys have that you have time to brush or sponge all of your nutsedge?

:confused:

maynardGkeynes
07-23-2011, 08:07 PM
How many customers do you guys have that you have time to brush or sponge all of your nutsedge?

:confused:Good point with a large stand...best thing would be to prevent it in the first place. Does sedgehammer kill it with one application though? Once the rhizomes are established, you have real problems even with roundup.

JDiepstra
07-23-2011, 08:07 PM

:confused:

If youre getting paid well enough you can make time for anything. Some people also have these things called employees who can also do things....
Posted via Mobile Device

gqnine44
07-24-2011, 02:52 PM
If youre getting paid well enough you can make time for anything. Some people also have these things called employees who can also do things....
Posted via Mobile Device

Roundup is not the best choice for Sedge even growing in the beds. It kills it but it comes back. If Im going to waste time brushing it I would use a product that will kill it better.

maynardGkeynes
07-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Roundup is not the best choice for Sedge even growing in the beds. It kills it but it comes back. If Im going to waste time brushing it I would use a product that will kill it better.Which is better? Once it is established, it may take 3 applications of almost anything from what I hear.

RigglePLC
07-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Sedgehammer worked OK for me last year. I always included a surfactant. Spot spray only. As the label says, "Do not mow for 48 hours before and 48 hours after application."

It is easier to spot the clumps if you treat early in the morning. With the sun in front of you it stands out like bright green lights. Early in season is better, before it gets mature. Calibrate your spot sprayer with water prior to beginning. Difficult to measure the product--low rate in a hand sprayer. What is the best way to measure the dosage?

I had a customer that sprayed it with Roundup. Nutsedge came back--grass didn't.

Has anybody injured grass with Sedgehammer? What species?

Lost Pine
07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Works great....problem is if you have large properties, it is very labor intensive....

Posted via Mobile Device

Lost Pine
07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
I have had some slight yellowing of the surrounding lawn which was fescue, but it came back green in a week or two.....

Sedgehammer worked OK for me last year.
I had a customer that sprayed it with Roundup. Nutsedge came back--grass didn't.

Has anybody injured grass with Sedgehammer? What species?