PDA

View Full Version : Yes - More Nutsedge!

JustMe7625
07-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone,

With the very long, wet spring, late application of pre treatment and a beautiful summer I am having a major problem with Nutsedge and Crabgrass this year.

I normally use Momentum FX and Drive XLR to treat broadleaf and crabgrass. I use two treatments of Basagran with Peptoil to treat the Nutsedge 10 days apart. Both of these treatments work well to treat the issues at hand but I have always been able to threat at different times.

My question is can I combine the Momentun, Drive and the first application of Basagran/Peptoil without over stressing my yard. Then follow up the second treatment of Basagran 10 days later. The yard is mainly Kentucky blue, rye and fescue. Although the Nutsedge is quickly taking over!

Thanks in advance...

Think Green
07-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Peptoil isn't really labeled for residential properties. It is all ag oil blends of paraffin wax and surfactants. I know the label calls for it to be used in conjunction with basagran,etc. but in the heat it may be too iffy for your blends of grass. I would suggest you look into a product called MSO-100...........Methylated seed oil.

Think Green
07-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Just me,
In your first application of Momentum and Quinclorac........what type of surfactant are you using then??
To combine the momentum,quinclorac,basagran and peptoil may be way too hot in mixture for this intense heat wave.
Doing a label directed compatibility test for each product is in my direction, then apply this mixture to a small inconspicuous area first before you treat the whole lawn.

Good luck!!

greendoctor
07-16-2011, 02:39 PM
I find that surfactants that are based on paraffin and petroleum solvents like Peptoil, Herbimax and Microyl, to name a few, are iffy in hot weather. While not doing much to increase herbicide performance. Think Green is right about the MSO. I know from usage that MSO is very good to use with Basagran. It might be a good idea to do a small test patch with the mix of all three herbicides and 1/2% MSO added to the solution. Any burn or damage will show up within a week.

JustMe7625
07-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the posts.

Yes the heat and now no rain... it has just been one of those years.

As for the surfactant with the Momentum and Drive I use MSO. Just followed the manufacture recommendations for the Basagran.

I agree with Think Green that the combination treatment would be too hot and risky. Trying to time between rain, mowing and temperature I am going treat the Nutsedge first and catch the broadleaf/crabgrass later. Although the Nusedge is just an annual it is out of control. The crabgrass and broadleaf are still manageable.

White Gardens
07-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Are you using the correct non-ionic surfactant for Drive?

Think Green
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Nutsedge is a perennial............! The yellow and the Purple are both perennials.!!!!
Do some more research on the species of plants.

JustMe7625
07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I stand corrected Nutsedge is a perennial. As for the MSO I am using it is MES-100 from Drexel (spelling).